Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract ocean sales?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Happy Xmas all! After carefully not buying anything from AO over the last couple of months to leave easy Xmas options for the family, they all went and found non car related stuff for me. So now I finally get to put that multi item order in ;-)

Does anyone know if AO do an after Xmas/Jan sale I should wait for? Or should I just get on with it?

Cheers!

It is a small, family run business, so it’s anyone’s guess when they will next have a sale. I find their products are well made and the instructional videos extremely helpful for me to judge what I feel are installations within my comfort zone. As noted by @VanillaAir_UK you can get a $10 off code on orders over $50 by referral from an existing customer. I believe this would apply also to sale items.

• Disagree
Reactions: majooka
If you’re gonna be spending over $70 you’ll be better off using a 15% discount code: becausetesla

Not sure if you can use a referral code and the 15% discount together.

Always worth spending 30 seconds doing a google discount code search when buying stuff online.

Be prepared for numerous shipping options, pricing and import duty/vat.

I was offered two shipping options, dhl and ups. iirc it was $3x and $4x respectively. I was very happy with the cheaper dhl option once I realised an unsolicited dodgy sounding phone call telling me to follow a forthcoming text to pay duty was indeed genuine (I followed a link from dhl website tracking info to be sure) - No duty handling fee shock - I guess that was rolled into the shipping price. Ordered Sat evening, missed a delivery attempt the following wed or thu, in my hands following day, fitted the Saturday.

Reactions: Durzel
If you can spare the time to wait for a sale, might as well buy closer to the source on AliExpress, rather than pay the middlemen (or, rather, middleman)

All the accessories are there for a fraction of the price.

Vinyls and such, the 3M 1080 films are $15 to retail consumers for a 1ft*5ft panel. Vinyl cutters are the same price as a printer, and you can go crazy experimenting with wraps and stickers for friends and family and other cars and projects.

I don't see how these people can swindle folks for an A4 panel worth of fake carbon wrap for $50 or whatever.

If you can spare the time to wait for a sale, might as well buy closer to the source on AliExpress, rather than pay the middlemen (or, rather, middleman)

Vinyls and such, the 3M 1080 films are $15 to retail consumers for a 1ft*5ft panel. Vinyl cutters are the same price as a printer, and you can go crazy experimenting with wraps and stickers for friends and family and other cars and projects.

I don't see how these people can swindle folks for an A4 panel worth of fake carbon wrap for $50 or whatever.
Its the confidence, across a lot of different product lines, that you are getting the right thing that will work first time. I've built my own dashboard parts from actual carbon fibre, spec'd out HIDs for an old car (projector lights, so safe) and so on. I have done some 3d printing stuff for the 3, but when I want a wrap, roof seal, interior LED's and some sill covers, being able to go to one place that lots of people have good experience's with who say 'these things work, fit well, have the right connections and don't blow your electrics' is really valuable to me.

That everything will come twice round the world does suck tho :(. Wish they had a UK or EU shipping centre. Most items are even on UK amazon, but they all have a max of 8 reviews with 3x 'NEVER BUY THIS, IT DIDN'T FIT/SCRATCHED SOMETHING/ATE MY GERBIL', 3x 'perfect fit, and it gave me CPR when I needed it' obviously fake reviews and a couple that are not of the right product. Again, just going to someone with a reputation is worth it.

Maybe I'm just getting risk averse in my old age. Used to do my own tuning, now look at me :(

Its the confidence, across a lot of different product lines, that you are getting the right thing that will work first time. I've built my own dashboard parts from actual carbon fibre, spec'd out HIDs for an old car (projector lights, so safe) and so on. I have done some 3d printing stuff for the 3, but when I want a wrap, roof seal, interior LED's and some sill covers, being able to go to one place that lots of people have good experience's with who say 'these things work, fit well, have the right connections and don't blow your electrics' is really valuable to me.

That everything will come twice round the world does suck tho :(. Wish they had a UK or EU shipping centre. Most items are even on UK amazon, but they all have a max of 8 reviews with 3x 'NEVER BUY THIS, IT DIDN'T FIT/SCRATCHED SOMETHING/ATE MY GERBIL', 3x 'perfect fit, and it gave me CPR when I needed it' obviously fake reviews and a couple that are not of the right product. Again, just going to someone with a reputation is worth it.

Maybe I'm just getting risk averse in my old age. Used to do my own tuning, now look at me :(

IMHO Abstract Ocean gear is very high quality, their customer service is second to none and their shipping costs are very reasonable and rarely take longer than 2 weeks to receive in the UK.
I’ve spent nearly £400 with them now and everything works/fits/hasn’t broken/top quality and usually comes with full install guides or videos on their website.
If anyone needs a referral code lease let me know; I’ll be happy to oblige.

I'm afraid a lot of this statement isn't accurate. You are roughly correct about the cost of the vinyl, although 3M do not distribute 1080/2080 vinyl in China, so that'll always be an inferior quality. The cutters we use cost around $6000, with maintenance, software and a PC to drive it all, you're looking at the thick end of $10k, and we have two for redundancy. We do not source anything from Aliexpress; everything we sell is made to our specifications. Although there's sometimes a stigma attached to Chinese-made products (which only account for about 35% of our portfolio these days), the Chinese are fantastic at manufacturing, but if you ask them to build to a price, then you compromise quality. We do not build to a price. You can certainly buy clone products all over Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress etc, but in most cases, you pay for what you get.

@Avendit Working on the EU stocking location.....it's a bit complicated, but we're getting close on a solution :)