Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean Tempered Glass Screen Protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I purchased the Abstract Ocean (AO) Premium Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector (Matte Gen3 finish) that fits the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y, back in July, shortly after my Model Y was delivered. The screen protector kit sat unopened for months as I worked through other priorities. Finally, in early November, decided the time was right to install the screen protector.

Now some people would probably start by saying, "Hold my beer, watch this" but before I started I took time to view the short AO instructional video, twice, and felt confident I could tackle this with ease. However during installation I managed to crack the 9H tempered glass by applying pressure near the edge while attempting to press out a large air bubble.

I contacted AO support via email, the next day I received a prompt response from Branden, Chief Nomad. I was fully prepared to purchased a replacement screen but Branden was very understanding, said "happens to the best of us" and sent me a replacement kit at no charge; AO even picked up the shipping cost.

Today I successfully completed the installation of the screen protector. This time there were only two small air bubbles that I very carefully coaxed to the edge of the screen. I would say that the installation frame that comes with the AO screen protector makes the alignment of the screen very easy. Painters tape attached at two spots on the bottom edge of the frame did not help to hold the screen protector during the installation as this blue tape did not adhere to the front of the AO screen (I should have first tested the tape.)

The most difficult part, for me, was not dust landing on the Model Y screen that needs to be lifted off with the provided lint lifter sticker but air bubbles. I started by cleaning the screen of the Model Y with a microfiber cloth and some eyeglass cleaner. Then I cleaned the screen again with the wet cleaning wipe that comes in the AO kit, dried the screen with the lint free cloth that is in the kit. I probably could have cleaned the screen better especially around the area where you press and hold for 3 seconds to turn off the screen cleaning mode. That is the area where two small air bubbles persisted.

I want to finish by expressing my thanks again to Branden and the team at Abstract Ocean. So far, I am liking the matte finish screen protector.

Thanks for the detailed report! I have one of these in the mail (but, alas, no Model Y yet).

Does it seem like something that could be removed if needed, without damaging the screen? I'm a little reluctant to apply anything permanent.

Thanks for the detailed report! I have one of these in the mail (but, alas, no Model Y yet).

Does it seem like something that could be removed if needed, without damaging the screen? I'm a little reluctant to apply anything permanent.
The AO screen protector can be easily removed, reapplied to the screen. To remove the protector you carefully lift one corner of the protector and it will pull away from the Model Y screen. You may need to do this during installation, perhaps more than once, if you find a piece of dust or lint has landed on the Model Y screen between the protector and the screen. Dust or lint will definitely cause a bubble to form so you need to lift the protector, use the provided lint sticker to lift off the offending debris, and then let the protector adhere to the screen. Depending on where the dust or lint is located you may be able to partially lift off the protector, remove the debris, without fully removing the protector. If you decide you don't want to use the protector you may be able to store the protector in the sleeve that it comes in but I'm not sure if the plastic film backing can be reapplied to the AO screen protector once has been peeled off the back of the protector during installation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Modulus1
I was a wuss and had the AO matte screen protector shipped directly to the body shop while they were doing the PPF and tinting this weekend, and can’t wait to see it when I get the car back tonight! Figure I won’t have to worry as much about glare from the Texas sun coming in through the sunroof with the matte protector on. At least not until next summer perhaps....

One thing I don't like is I think it hides/dims the stop lights. Don't know for sure as I kept the original film on the screen until I got my protector to eliminate the dust problem (that worked). But I can barely see the stop light at times.

I have not had the time to sort this out but if the screen appears to be dimmer with the AO matte protector installed I'm assuming I can just increase the screen brightness level to compensate.

Not if it's on auto. It will just revert back to what it thinks the brightness should be. As opposed to my phone which I can brighten and it auto brightens/dims based on that. The MY doesn't.

Even on manual, I often can't see the stop lights with an acceptable bright rest of the screen. Not a big deal and it could be more a Tesla problem. As I said I never had a completely unprotected screen having left the film on until I got the protector.

^ traffic signals are very dim/washed out even w/o the screen protector. Tesla can fix that if they'd like. Just don't take away our "open glovebox" voice command now that it's finally working! :D

I considered that might be true but I"m not about to pull the screen protector off to test that theory. FWIW I'd rather have the stop light just for my comfort when regen braking. But then I think I've opened the glovebox twice, maybe three times since getting the car about 2 1/2 months ago.

Not if it's on auto. It will just revert back to what it thinks the brightness should be. As opposed to my phone which I can brighten and it auto brightens/dims based on that. The MY doesn't.

Even on manual, I often can't see the stop lights with an acceptable bright rest of the screen. Not a big deal and it could be more a Tesla problem. As I said I never had a completely unprotected screen having left the film on until I got the protector.
Took my Model Y for a drive this A.M., a bright clear day, with the AO matte screen protector installed. I initially thought that the screen protector appeared washed out in direct sunlight. I have since turned off the Auto Brightness Display setting and have the daytime screen brightness set to 33%, so far the screen brightness has been good. The traffic signals were just as difficult to see as before I installed the AO protector. The red signal is generally visible but to my eyes the green traffic signal is too hard to see under daytime driving conditions. Tesla could fix this by making the traffic signal graphic larger or increasing the brightness of the signal.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Took my Model Y for a drive this A.M., a bright clear day, with the AO matte screen protector installed. I initially thought that the screen protector appeared washed out in direct sunlight. I have since turned off the Auto Brightness Display setting and have the daytime screen brightness set to 33%, so far the screen brightness has been good. The traffic signals were just as difficult to see as before I installed the AO protector. The red signal is generally visible but to my eyes the green traffic signal is too hard to see under daytime driving conditions. Tesla could fix this by making the traffic signal graphic larger or increasing the brightness of the signal.

I was referring to the stop light on the car not a traffic signal. I'm OK with the traffic signals. I'll probably get used to it but at this point am more comfortable under moderate to heavy regen braking to see the car's stop light go on. Never cared in the Camry Hybrid as it didn't slow down fast enough to worry about getting rear-ended. But this Tesla has some decent deceleration even before the brake light comes on.

I installed the AO matte screen protector and honestly hated it. The screen was a blurry mess and much darker to see things. It turned this beautiful screen that we have in our car, to a low-res Toyota mess. I had some issues with the protector and they promptly sent out the clear HD one. While it does have more glare than the matte, it's a 1000 times better! Love AO customer service!

• Informative
Reactions: Modulus1
I installed the AO matte screen protector and honestly hated it. The screen was a blurry mess and much darker to see things. It turned this beautiful screen that we have in our car, to a low-res Toyota mess. I had some issues with the protector and they promptly sent out the clear HD one. While it does have more glare than the matte, it's a 1000 times better! Love AO customer service!
Good to hear that the people at AO took care of you. I drove my Model Y for 5 months before I got around to installing the AO matte screen protector. I considered not installing any screen protector but then one day I reached to the dashboard for my glasses and the snap on the sleeve of my jacket caught the edge of the Model Y screen; no harm was done that time. I knew that one day I could damage the screen with a seemingly harmless reach across the screen to the dashboard.

The matte screen protector does make the screen image a little softer. I don't miss seeing the fingerprints my finger tips were always leaving on the unprotected Model Y screen. When I first installed the AO matte screen protector I thought that the screen brightness needed to be adjusted manually to be brighter but now I just leave the screen brightness in Auto and most of the time the screen brightness is fine. If the sun is low and behind the Model Y when I am backing into a parking space the Model Y screen with the AO matte protector can totally wash out. I use the side view mirrors and back in slowly, use the parking sensors to help gauge the distance from the rear of the Model Y to the back of the parking space.

The AO screen protector was one of the first accessories I installed when I took delivery a couple of months ago and I am happy with it. I did not use the installation frame, perhaps I installed the frame wrong, but instead found it easier to just lay the protector on the screen myself.

I thought it was fingerprint proof but I definitely still have fingerprints. Not as noticeable as the glass would have been so overall I am happy with it.

I just peeled off the factory protective film and put on the AO protector at the same time. The screen has never seen the light of day without some sort of protection. I love it, cuts down on the glare quite a bit and reduces the appearance of finger prints by a lot. And AO was very quick with their shipping which was really appreciated. Very solid product.