Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean upgrade for rear footwell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed abstract ocean lights on my MS today. Everything went well, except for the rear footwell lights.

I've watched and re-watched several installation videos and looked at all the photos online and threads I could find. That being said, I think my case is different from others. Unless, I missed something obvious.

To start with, I have no "bar" under both my front seats where the footwell light bracket can clip on to. I have a "built-in bracket" (see pic). I can't remove this and since it's different from everything else I've seen here, I'm just guessing this is the light bracket and not meant for something else. It even has the notch on the rectangle for fitting the lights (see second pic).

Zip tied to the bracket was the two pin footwell light wire so it makes me fairly certain that this is the light bracket.

I have abstract ocean installed in the "bracket" for now and it works well. But the issue I have is that the light is facing up. It's not in a vertical position and cannot be rotated to vertical position. This is making the light very dim or barely visible in the footwell (unlike the rotatable bracket which shines the light directly to the back and lights up the footwell).

I can install the light the other way and have it facing down but the wiring gets convoluted and the lighting is non-existent because of the proximity of the light to the ground.

Model S, took delivery April 12th, non-PUP, multi-pattern seats.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Can anyone with a recent delivery and PUP post a pic of their rear footwell lights?

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

I have the same footwell light (PUP package). Don't have pictures but they updated it for the newer models.

That said, they are still dim with abstract ocean lights due to it shining down into black carpet, I will try facing it up and see if that helps.

I have the same footwell light (PUP package). Don't have pictures but they updated it for the newer models.

That said, they are still dim with abstract ocean lights due to it shining down into black carpet, I will try facing it up and see if that helps.

Thanks! So yours is installed the same way I did? But facing down into the carpet?

I originally installed it facing down but to your point, since it was facing into the black carpet, I barely saw anything from the footwell.

I fixed this issue with my car as well, here's some pictures to how I fixed the issue with a few zip ties and abstract ocean tesla light brackets.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MkpsQ1U0Ui1jMmxra2pTWkF0NFU1S09GMVdDRk53

Essentially, what I did was remove the light leaving the "hole" where the light was, then zip tie the tesla light bracket vertical to the hole where the existing light was. Mount the AO light and boom, awesome light and it's vertical now and doesn't shine down into the carpet.

• Informative
Reactions: Red_DS
I fixed this issue with my car as well, here's some pictures to how I fixed the issue with a few zip ties and abstract ocean tesla light brackets.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MkpsQ1U0Ui1jMmxra2pTWkF0NFU1S09GMVdDRk53

Essentially, what I did was remove the light leaving the "hole" where the light was, then zip tie the tesla light bracket vertical to the hole where the existing light was. Mount the AO light and boom, awesome light and it's vertical now and doesn't shine down into the carpet.

BigDOg - How did you pop the old Telsa light out from this type of bracket? Do I push it through to the carpet? Or do I pry it out by feel downward from the downside of this crazy bracket? Once I change the bulb I will try your method of using a seperate AO bracket with zip ties.

BigDOg - How did you pop the old Telsa light out from this type of bracket? Do I push it through to the carpet? Or do I pry it out by feel downward from the downside of this crazy bracket? Once I change the bulb I will try your method of using a seperate AO bracket with zip ties.
I would like to know aswell... Seems a very narrow space to work in.