Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean Vinyl Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the carbon fiber dash and center console wraps from Abstract Ocean. Watched video of center console wrap installation…seems pretty easy. But the dash wrap….oh my goodness! I’ve watched the installation video 3 times and I’m still intimidated. Finished result looks great, but the installer is an expert and it didn’t look easy for him. Has anyone installed the Abstract Ocean dash wrap? Please share your experience.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

I just received the carbon fiber dash and center console wraps from Abstract Ocean. Watched video of center console wrap installation…seems pretty easy. But the dash wrap….oh my goodness! I’ve watched the installation video 3 times and I’m still intimidated. Finished result looks great, but the installer is an expert and it didn’t look easy for him. Has anyone installed the Abstract Ocean dash wrap? Please share your experience.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Well, I did it! It turned out pretty well. Not perfect (dash) but boo boos primarily on ends and small and not really noticeable unless you look really carefully When doors are open. Also put minor vertical 1/2 inch tear in vinyl at top of dash right in middle of steering wheel. If it bothers me I may do a do over with extra wrap they provide. Center console wasceasy and turned out fine with no issues.

Reactions: acatwith12
I helped a friend install the AO pre-cut dash vinyl onto his dash last summer, and what I noticed was the vinyl is cut exactly to size without any stretching needed. That can be both good and bad, as you want to have some stretch around the corners so nothing will raise. Also, you really need to use some adhesive promotor on the corners & edges of the wood or the vinyl isn't going to stick well over time.

IMO, save yourself the $$$ from the pre-cut kits and just buy a 1' x 5' roll of your favorite vinyl on Amazon for around $10, use a heat gun or hair dryer, some adhesive promotor, and a sharp razor blade, and it's a pretty easy & fun project to do. I'm no way a professional and have never wrapped anything before, but after taking my time and figuring out how much heat to apply to the vinyl and how pliable it is to work with, it was a fun project to do and I did both my Model 3 and Model Y dashes in carbon fiber, and also helped a couple of friends as well to do their dashboards.

TMY-DASHWRAP-3.jpg

TMY-DASHWRAP-1.jpg

Well, I did it! It turned out pretty well. Not perfect (dash) but boo boos primarily on ends and small and not really noticeable unless you look really carefully When doors are open. Also put minor vertical 1/2 inch tear in vinyl at top of dash right in middle of steering wheel. If it bothers me I may do a do over with extra wrap they provide. Center console wasceasy and turned out fine with no issues.
A pic of result.

Attachments

• C3D47953-1DA1-4766-B4BA-AA9721B738F5.jpeg
    C3D47953-1DA1-4766-B4BA-AA9721B738F5.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 125
I literally just finished my Model Y dash wrap, in Matrix Black from Abstract Ocean, less than an hour ago. This was the extra one lying around from when I wrapped my Model 3 years ago. By far the way to do it is to take off the dash piece (super easy) and wrap it that way. I’ve wrapped a bunch of stuff on my 3 and Y so experience helps. All in it took me about an hour. It can definitely be tricky but looks good when finished. The ends/corners are the toughest part so don’t try to get those perfect. If the extra piece wasn’t lying around the house I most likely would have bought a dash cap instead. Much easier to just pop it on.

I literally just finished my Model Y dash wrap, in Matrix Black from Abstract Ocean, less than an hour ago. This was the extra one lying around from when I wrapped my Model 3 years ago. By far the way to do it is to take off the dash piece (super easy) and wrap it that way. I’ve wrapped a bunch of stuff on my 3 and Y so experience helps. All in it took me about an hour. It can definitely be tricky but looks good when finished. The ends/corners are the toughest part so don’t try to get those perfect. If the extra piece wasn’t lying around the house I most likely would have bought a dash cap instead. Much easier to just pop it on.
I should have taken out dash when I did the wrap. Doing it inside car was a PITA, especially working around center screen. But it turned out pretty well. Glad to have extra piece in case something happens and I need to redo. If so I’ll definitely take dash out and put wrap on in the comfort of my house.

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
By the way, a big shout out to Abstract Ocean. While installing their tempered glass screen saver, a bunch of lint accumulated on adhesive side of screen saver as I was installing. In using stickies to remove lint the adhesive side got smudged rendering it unusable. I reached out to AO, explained situation and asked for guidance on how to avoid this situation in future if I repurchase. AO sent an email thanking me for my purchase on 1/2, (the day after my email) and providing a discount in the amount of the purchase price. So I’m getting a free replacement. Now that’s how to build brand loyalty!

By the way, a big shout out to Abstract Ocean. While installing their tempered glass screen saver, a bunch of lint accumulated on adhesive side of screen saver as I was installing. In using stickies to remove lint the adhesive side got smudged rendering it unusable. I reached out to AO, explained situation and asked for guidance on how to avoid this situation in future if I repurchase. AO sent an email thanking me for my purchase on 1/2, (the day after my email) and providing a discount in the amount of the purchase price. So I’m getting a free replacement. Now that’s how to build brand loyalty!
Yes, agreed! Abstract Ocean customer service has ALWAYS been phenomenal. They have a lifelong customer in me!