Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean vs Cheap Screen Protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my search for a perfect-fitting screen protector, I've now purchased 6 of them and none of them are perfect, despite what so many reviews say. Even though they're sold under different names, 4 of them turned out to be the same "Glass Screen Pro" protectors. Even more surprising is that the "premium" Abstract Ocean one is identical as well. The box and included cleaning kit is different, but the glass itself is identical to the others. $46 vs $16? I'll pay a little more to support a good company, but for a third the cost with faster shipping, it's hard to justify.

Abstract Ocean - Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3
TeslaToys - https://amzn.to/2EJcUPE

In my search for a perfect-fitting screen protector, I've now purchased 6 of them and none of them are perfect, despite what so many reviews say. Even though they're sold under different names, 4 of them turned out to be the same "Glass Screen Pro" protectors. Even more surprising is that the "premium" Abstract Ocean one is identical as well. The box and included cleaning kit is different, but the glass itself is identical to the others. $46 vs $16? I'll pay a little more to support a good company, but for a third the cost with faster shipping, it's hard to justify.

Abstract Ocean - Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model 3
TeslaToys - https://amzn.to/2EJcUPE

I have AO’s 9H clear glass screen protector. Fits the screen perfectly even the horizontal bottom curved edge. I continue to support them as I’ve recieved outstanding customer service from them in the past. Great timely communication as well. I used my AO awards points to get $15 off so the price was very reasonable. My Zagg iPhone 7 screen protector is almost the same price!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I installed the amazon screen protector this weekend. I used the shower trick that I use for other devices. Essentially install them in a humid room to prevent dust. I took some pictures of the process and results.

In the end, if I could do it again I may have gone for a matte version. I never had glare issues with no screen protector, but the screen in the 3 has some nice anti glare coating on it. I don't think the screen protector does, so it's much more susceptible to glare with the screen protector on it. I'll see how bad it bothers me before removing it though...

Instead of bringing the screen into the bathroom after a hot shower, I used a humidifier in the tesla.
Install Tips:
  1. Turn OFF your climate control.
  2. Clean the screen very well, make sure it is spotless!
  3. Run the humidifier until there's a nice cloud in the car, then get to work! The humidifier will help to settle all the dust in the air (we live in a more rural part of town and there is always dust). If you don't have a humidifier, you might consider waiting for a rainy day to install.
  4. Make sure you have the orientation correct and the protector is not upside down.
  5. Use tape to hold it in place while spending some time to make sure it is perfectly aligned.
  6. Peel the backing and let it stick, then push out an bubbles.
Humidifier.jpg AlignedWithTape.jpg Installed.jpg Corner1.jpg Corner2.jpg

I installed the amazon screen protector this weekend. I used the shower trick that I use for other devices. Essentially install them in a humid room to prevent dust. I took some pictures of the process and results.

In the end, if I could do it again I may have gone for a matte version. I never had glare issues with no screen protector, but the screen in the 3 has some nice anti glare coating on it. I don't think the screen protector does, so it's much more susceptible to glare with the screen protector on it. I'll see how bad it bothers me before removing it though...

Instead of bringing the screen into the bathroom after a hot shower, I used a humidifier in the tesla.
Install Tips:
  1. Turn OFF your climate control.
  2. Clean the screen very well, make sure it is spotless!
  3. Run the humidifier until there's a nice cloud in the car, then get to work! The humidifier will help to settle all the dust in the air (we live in a more rural part of town and there is always dust). If you don't have a humidifier, you might consider waiting for a rainy day to install.
  4. Make sure you have the orientation correct and the protector is not upside down.
  5. Use tape to hold it in place while spending some time to make sure it is perfectly aligned.
  6. Peel the backing and let it stick, then push out an bubbles.
View attachment 366430 View attachment 366431 View attachment 366432 View attachment 366433 View attachment 366434
Great tip. Wished I saw it before installing mine. I also installed the Amazon one from the OP and noticed the the remove tab should be at the top which you also did in your pix. I don't see any glare so far but will see in a few weeks.

Great tip. Wished I saw it before installing mine. I also installed the Amazon one from the OP and noticed the the remove tab should be at the top which you also did in your pix. I don't see any glare so far but will see in a few weeks.
To be fair I haven't driven it yet, so it might not be a big deal. But it does have more reflection than the bare screen did.

Just got my matte 9h tempered screen protector from abstract. Initially I got the matte screen protector from Amazon because of this thread, however, it wasn't tempered glass (was just super flimsy) and it got delivered with creases in it.

Installed the matte from abstract and really like it. It seems smoother to slide my fingers and it definitely rejects fingerprints. I'll see how much glare it reduces when the sun is back

Just got my matte 9h tempered screen protector from abstract. Initially I got the matte screen protector from Amazon because of this thread, however, it wasn't tempered glass (was just super flimsy) and it got delivered with creases in it.

Installed the matte from abstract and really like it. It seems smoother to slide my fingers and it definitely rejects fingerprints. I'll see how much glare it reduces when the sun is back
link to the one you ordered? The one I got is certainly 9h tempered. I was thinking they are all the same but it sounds like you got some bad one.

link to the one you ordered? The one I got is certainly 9h tempered. I was thinking they are all the same but it sounds like you got some bad one.

Did you find a cheap Matte 9h tempered on amazon? I only found the clear HD ones. The other matte 9h tempered was $40 on amazon, figured I spend an extra $5 to support Abstract.

This is what I ordered and they never mentioned 9h tempered:

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-A...r=8-4&keywords=model+3+matte+screen+protector

I installed the matte from AO a couple weeks back and have been happy with it. Easy to install. You do lose some clarity but I think it does help with fingerprints and glare

Got the AO matte and it was a straightforward install after watching their video, would recommend. Didn't realize I still had a screen protector on from the factory which was a nice surprise. My screen had a few tiny bubbles and some scratches but in the course of cleaning the screen to prep installing the AO, the original screen protector started peeling back.