TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Abu Dabi Utility Scale Solar at 75 cents a Watt

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by SageBrush, Mar 5, 2017.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

• Love x 1
  2. Ampster

Ampster Member

The picture looks like thermal solar but no description or details in the article.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Jinko Solar is building the plant... that's a PV company. I can't imagine anyone building another thermal plant now that PV is <$0.30/w for the modules. That's a turnkey deal for $0.75/w... that's gotta be a record.

• Like x 1
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

I think that picture is just what the journalist had lying around and is not meant to be representative of the plant to be built.

• Like x 1
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Thermal solar with storage might still compete as a peaker, but I agree that this plant is PV.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Peakers comprise such a small percentage of total energy generation IMO using gas turbines will be the most cost effective solution of a while. We need to pluck the low hanging fruit first. With the cost of batteries falling precipitously that would be a wiser investment if curtailment is a concern. We still lack a robust demand response regime... that should be a priority even before storage.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

I said peakers but I more accurately meant the demand from around 6pm - 9pm, particularly in the summer when PV is turning off.

I don't have anything against NG as a fill-in-the-gaps solution to a grid that is overwhelmingly clean but I like the idea of a heterogenous source mix. It adds resiliency to an already pretty frail grid. Solar thermal in the desert sounds like a good tertiary source after PV and wind.

I know that demand pricing can solve a lot of problems but it is politically quite unpopular. After all, it's not like the utilities were blind to the sky high peaker rates they have been paying for late afternoon AC use, yet they avoided the obvious solution of demand pricing.