Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC and cabin fans not working when unlocking car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ive had my car just over two weeks and am on a long trip, so I’m still getting used to how everything operates. But I was surprised when twice so far when I’ve returned to the car in hot weather that the cabin fans and AC were not operational. Normally when I would unlock the doors the fans and AC would kick in at the last present temperature.

But these two times...nothing.

The UI would indicate the same 72 degree setting, auto setting enabled. But zero air flow. Changing any of the settings or powering on/off the fans had no effect.

I tried the the two-button reboot, and the brake + two-button reboot, no joy. On the second time I did that plus also tried to “power off” the car and start it with the brake peddle. No joy.

In both cases, AC was restored by going to my next stop, locking the car and then coming back after running my errand.

On the second episode I filed a bug report, but don’t expect it to trigger a fix. When it happens again, I’ll also call Tesla service.

Is this a known issue? Anything I should be doing differently?

Happened a third time, just after I posted above. This time we tried cycling all the options, like cabin airflow options and fan speed. No change.

I called tesla roadside assistance, but the hold time exceeded my trip duration so I’ll call later when I have more time. I’ll file bug reports going forward in the hopes that a “snapshot” of conditions will be captured and saved to my file for future reference. My guess this is going to require a service appt.

Did u try preconditioning prior to reaching the car? If not with these episode on a prior trip? How about outside temp high and diverting ac to battery? Make sure range mode and predictive cooling off.

On the second and third episodes I did try to remotely lower the cabin temperature - down to 72 from 129 or 114. The app said the cabin AC and air was cooling but upon reaching the car there was no fans running.

On multiple previous times I was able to successfully chill the cabin temperature prior to arriving. In all cases it was not excessively hot outside (less than, but close to, 100).

This same issue just happened to me. 106 outside and 20 minute drive home with zero cabin fans or A/C left me very uncomfortable to say the least.

Pulled over to do a reset / power off & on. Nothing worked and none of the climate control options functioned at all. Windows rolled down for most of the drive. Just awful. Waiting for a call back from Tesla Roadside.

On latest 2018.32.2 usdate. Did not previously experience issue on 2018.28