Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC back vents blowing warm air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it truly is normal. When set it to auto, you choose the temp you want the cabin to be. The system then blows whatever temperature air it wants and at whatever fan speed it chooses to get the cabin to that temperature as quickly and comfortably as possible. It might mean fairly hot air at a high speed even if you set it to 65. As the cabin approaches 65, it will dial back the air temperature and fan speed.

On the flip side, if you hard set the temp and fan speed without auto, it will blow air at that temperature and speed regardless what the inside cabin temperature is.
no....when you set to auto, cold air should come out vents until the cabin is stable at set temp.....there is a baffle that direct air from front to the rear and it uses some of the passenger cool air for the back.....auto is very limited and does not operate very well

so has the problem been fixed via OTA like promised? I'm hoping not to have this problem for next AZ summer (was 90 today :( already )
thats what Tesla told me today.....over the air update....I told them BS.....then they drove the car and decided to keep it again to figure out why I get hot air in front and back in auto mode and hot air in back in manual move....

edit: I also. gave them a video showing the RF temp gauge with reading front and rear in both auto and manual....then they got in the car and observed and witnessed the 20 degree difference

thats what Tesla told me today.....over the air update....I told them BS.....then they drove the car and decided to keep it again to figure out why I get hot air in front and back in auto mode and hot air in back in manual move....

edit: I also. gave them a video showing the RF temp gauge with reading front and rear in both auto and manual....then they got in the car and observed and witnessed the 20 degree difference

hope you get a resolution. Mine has been not to use the rear if it starts blowing hot (not a good answer)

Too late in my case for a buyback since it's almost 2 years and I love the rest of car so much. Too bad TSLA can't figure out basics like AC programming but has fart mode etc

hope you get a resolution. Mine has been not to use the rear if it starts blowing hot (not a good answer)

Too late in my case for a buyback since it's almost 2 years and I love the rest of car so much. Too bad TSLA can't figure out basics like AC programming but has fart mode etc
50,000 miles or 48 months whichever comes first.......are you over the mileage?

Should there not be a TSB for this no matter the mileage if Tesla accepts fault?
well they had my car for 2 days this week.....I gave them a video showing the issue with temp in the back and temp in the front....they got in and VERIFIED the ac issue.....messages showing the acknowledged the issues by the service advisor......2 days of driving and looking at car after they did the diagnosis and they cant REPRODUCE issue that they acknowledged when they took in the car.....go and pick it up and things are working now.....the problem is the invoice stated my problem but never says they verified problem nor received the video.....going back on Monday to get an updated invoice.....if anything happens in the future, there is not record of Tesla acknowledging problem.....

things told me by service advisors:
1...we know of the problem and there is a software fix but has not been released yet ( 2.5 years old)
2...just run it on manual...auto is what is causing the problem
3...when car is drawing too much power, it automatically cuts off the a/c.....this was by the service manager who got it from Tesla engineers......I asked what do I do when when going from Irvine (80 degrees to Yuma at 108 degrees....I was told to open windows
4...ambient air inside car and outside air will feel the same..... so the blowing ac may not feel cool

this is why I want the invoice updated

Last edited:
Has anyone had any relief from this problem? I have a SC appointment set for a few days from now. I’d like to know if I’m just wasting my time, or if there’s an actual remedy for this. Thanks in advance.
after the visit above, they finally got it right but failed to acknowledge any issue....it just got fixed.....have not had any further problems.....just keep taking it back, especially when the problem is there so they can verify

Well I just came back from a service center, and my issues are still there, also the footwell is pretty hot.
The say it should come as a software update sometime. But the dont know when.
take it back again when the problem is happening....also if you can, make a video of the setting and have an rf temp gauge showing the temp differences......thats what I di and finally they fixed it....I am sure they change our parts but nothing on invoice.....we have had no issues since my last visit

take it back again when the problem is happening....also if you can, make a video of the setting and have an rf temp gauge showing the temp differences......thats what I di and finally they fixed it....I am sure they change our parts but nothing on invoice.....we have had no issues since my last visit

Strange, why would the still keep up with the saying that is comes as a software update... I really wonder what the fixed in your car... you sure you are running on AUTO mode and the temp outside is <10°C (50°F) and have the rear vents turned on, set your own climate on around 20/21°C (68/70°F) ?

And are the really making a software update or are the just hoping we never come back again complaining about the same issue?

For now I think I will run in manual mode with the vents in the footwells turned off till the really come with a software update, and once in a while just make a SC ticket.

Strange, why would the still keep up with the saying that is comes as a software update... I really wonder what the fixed in your car... you sure you are running on AUTO mode and the temp outside is <10°C (50°F) and have the rear vents turned on, set your own climate on around 20/21°C (68/70°F) ?

And are the really making a software update or are the just hoping we never come back again complaining about the same issue?

For now I think I will run in manual mode with the vents in the footwells turned off till the really come with a software update, and once in a while just make a SC ticket.
don't know what to tell ya.....what I described was what my experience was and the things the did........I cannot comment on the software fix.....there are two parts that can be changed to fix this.....whether or not they change the in my case I dont know because there is no mention of parts R&R on my invoice.....my wifes car run perfectly in AUTO, manual and with manual and foot vents.....the temperature here is California this summer was a little above normal (85-95) in Irvine, and we had no problems.....I would suggest you do what someone suggested: try another SC of go back when it is not working.....as Ialso mentioned earlier, get a cheap RF temp gauge and make a video showing the front temp running and the rear temp running.....do it for all modes of operation......then when you go into the SC, it aint working and you have the video to prove it.....make sure you take the RF temp gage with you......dont know what else to tell you.

Has anyone had any relief from this problem? I have a SC appointment set for a few days from now. I’d like to know if I’m just wasting my time, or if there’s an actual remedy for this. Thanks in advance.

Did the get it fixed for you ?

The did for me at a SC, what the told me was the changed a setting for the PTC heater.. so worth a shot to ask if the can look into that.

I ended up having to change my appointment for the middle of December, so I haven’t had it in yet. I’ll make a point of bringing this up with the tech or service writer when I take it in. If this is, in fact, actually making neat with the AC on, I wonder if I’ve been experiencing an unnecessary hit to range due to it. Thanks for the suggestion.