Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC barely blowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Arizona, it's normal for my car to sound like a freaking airplane everytime I run the AC. However this afternoon, barely any air is blowing despite it set on 60 and everything else auto.

I don't have range mode on, if I turn off auto and have the fan set at 11, it says 'Limited By Settings'... but nothing changes.

I've tried to reboot the entertainment center, didn't work. Anyone else have any ideas? It's 100+ degrees outside, I'm gonna die without AC ;)

I live in Arizona, it's normal for my car to sound like a freaking airplane everytime I run the AC. However this afternoon, barely any air is blowing despite it set on 60 and everything else auto.

I don't have range mode on, if I turn off auto and have the fan set at 11, it says 'Limited By Settings'... but nothing changes.

I've tried to reboot the entertainment center, didn't work. Anyone else have any ideas? It's 100+ degrees outside, I'm gonna die without AC ;)
It is because the car is not moving and it is using all of the AC resources to keep the battery cool. One you start moving, and go up the road a ways, it will start cooling the cabin more... Were you pre-cooling your car cabin before leaving to go somewhere? Are your outside fans running and the front louvers open?

Last edited:
It is because the car is not moving and it is using all of the AC resources to keep the battery cool. One you start moving, and go up the road a ways, it will start cooling the cabin more... Were you pre-cooling your car cabin before leaving to go somewhere? Are your outside fans running and the front louvers open?

I drove 20 minutes, car wouldn't cool under 80... Outside fans are very quiet.

Your outside fans and louvers should have been running. Could be a sensor or fuse blown. I would just drop in on a Service Center if you still have warranty or don't have time to troubleshoot it yourself. I have had the same thing happen to me but it quit after driving. However, your outside cooling fans need to be working...

@optize - I had a similar problem on my car. Ended up going to a service center to compare my car to a loaner because I was convinced that even on max fan speed, the A/C wasn't blowing as hard as it had previously done. For those who were tying it to battery temp, that has nothing to do with it. These are independent systems....the A/C fan speed determines how hard the A/C blows out the vents. Tech and I confirmed that there was a huge difference in the force of the air. Our theory was that the HEPA filter (which had been recently replace was possibly mis-installed, resulting in a blockage of air or possibly the air leaking out in the frunk compartment instead of blowing through the ducts. Turned out to be a failed actuator that selects where the airflow goes. They replaced it as a warranty item.

• Informative
Reactions: Jons1234
I tried it again this morning and it was working again... Frustrating. I put in a service request since the next available one isn't for 3 weeks... I'm sure it'll go out again. Thanks all.

Could be that your blower motor resistor is dieing.

NEW Blower Fan Motor Resistor 2012-2016 tesla model S X BMR1863 | eBay

Tesla-Model-S-P85D-2015-Rhd-Heater-Blower.jpg

This component is responsible for the variable blower speeds so if your blower don't max out or doing nothing or sometimes doesn't work this could very well be your issue.

Located behind the glove box

20200902_091834.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay