TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AC blower fan vibrating car at high fan speed.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Brnn, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Brnn

Brnn Member

Took delivery of my new model 3 yesterday.

I did notice a potential issue after getting in after parking it in a lot for a few hours. The AC fan kicked to high and was vibrating the interior. Not exaggerating, I could feel my arm vibrating on the arm rest, and in the steering wheel, and there is a loud buzzing sound. This happens at fan speeds over 7 or 8 (of 10). I’m assuming this isn’t normal, right? Probably the blower fan has a bad bearing or the fan is out of balance.

Does anyone know if the blower is accessible somewhat easily, or is it buried in the dash? If easily accessible, I’d like to give it a firm tap, or at least try to see if it’s vibrating badly to confirm the problem.

2. akdnj88

akdnj88 Member

My M3 does this too. It's August 19 build so not too far off from yours. So I assume it's normal.

3. Brnn

Brnn Member

That’s interesting. I had a RWD long range a few months ago before this car and it definitely didn’t do what the new car is doing. I made a service appointment, so I’ll see what they say.

4. Brnn

Brnn Member

Anyone know where the AC blower fan is? Hard to find tech manuals for this car...

5. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Mine doesn't do this even at the highest fan speed. A buzzing noise would drive me crazy. I'd make a service appointment.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

It is in the front of the car behind the front fender. You need to remove Frunk bucket to access it.

7. Brnn

Brnn Member

Mobile service came out, and it’s definitely the blower fan according to him. Unfortunately mobile has no way to access it. They have to take the entire dash out to reach it. Brand new car with 80 miles. Very worried about scratches, unknown missing clips and bolts after the service, etc. ugh

8. cucubits

cucubits Active Member

Did you ever get this sorted out?

• Disagree x 1