Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Blower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there's something wrong with my cabin fan too. Just noticing it now as I didn't really have to turn it high before so I'm not sure for how long it was going on.

If I turn the fan speed past 6-7, after a few seconds I can hear something starting to vibrate, I can feel it too and it makes sort of a low highspeed rumbling noise. If I then turn the fan speed back down, the airflow stops and I still hear for a few seconds that low vibration winding down. I'd have a hard time believing this is normal but I haven't made a service request yet. This is a 2016 facelift S.

Anyone else notice something similar?

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Can’t comment on Tesla’s as I’ve only had mine for a few days. But in every other car Ive owned that did what you’re describing something was throwing the fan off balance. Once it was because a previous owner removed the cabin filter and the fan had a ton of leaves in it. Emptied out the leaves and it was fine. Another time the blower fan itself had partially come apart and was missing 3-4 veins out of one side. Obviously I had to replace the fan.

• Helpful
Reactions: cucubits
Stop by a bank of superchargers in the summer time and you will hear the same exact sound on every Tesla plugged in. The AC is very loud when its up passed 8ish. I generally crank it up to 11 until the cabin cools down and turn down to about 5 or 6 when its comfortable.

Stop by a bank of superchargers in the summer time and you will hear the same exact sound on every Tesla plugged in. The AC is very loud when its up passed 8ish. I generally crank it up to 11 until the cabin cools down and turn down to about 5 or 6 when its comfortable.

I'll try to make a short recording to show what's going on. This is most definitely not normal. You shouldn't hear/feel vibrations from the blower. The one I talk about is inside the cabin, not the AC compressor/pump/fan whatever runs on the outside.

• Disagree
I'll try to make a short recording to show what's going on. This is most definitely not normal. You shouldn't hear/feel vibrations from the blower. The one I talk about is inside the cabin, not the AC compressor/pump/fan whatever runs on the outside.
Understood. Im pretty sure its normal though. However, I know how you feel. I took mine in when i first got it and said the same thing. They returned it back and said its normal. The higher you have the fan setting the louder it gets, and yes you can feel the vibration inside of the cabin. And yes, it sounds like a jet engine getting ready for take off. What you explain is how all Tesla's work with AC, however what is actually going on may be different... upload a video if you can and we can definitely let you know. Or just stop by your local superchargers (if you have them) and ask other owners to blast their AC and see what it sounds like. Model S and Model X are the most similar. Model 3's may not sound the same.

The sound is embarrassing

Went to make a recording and this time, of course it sounded fine. No vibration no matter how high I set the fan speed. I did notice something interesting which I didn't know before. If I set the air re-circulation on, I can set the fan all the way to 11. If I set it to let outside air in, the max I can go is 8. If I set the fan speed above 8, it automatically turns re-circulation on. Interesting but irrelevant :)

Anyway... I have a theory about the vibrating blower. Same as for example a poor quality computer fan, it you leave it off for a long time, sometimes when turning it on, it makes a horrible vibrating noise for a little while. I'm thinking about this because before I noticed this in my Model S, I had not touched the car for a couple weeks. Most likely this is why I hadn't noticed it before... it never stayed untouched for longer periods. Not surprising that they've used poor quality parts for the HVAC too... it's just one more nail on my list which keeps growing and pushes me to just sell the thing and get over it.

• Disagree