Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Blowing Warm From Day We Picked Up Our New Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the drive home from the Tesla dealer we called and our sales rep said that its normal when the weather is very humid out. We had it set to 73 and it was warm air coming out. Very frustrating on a new car the day we drove it home. Has anyone else heard of this issue and if so what was the problem? Thanks in advance.

Also I can't go schedule service on my app as it gives me a date of November 25th. I'm in South Florida, its hot and this really can't wait. Its a safety issue. Would you just show up at the local service center to drop it off?

Did you just now pick up the car? If so, I would definitely put in a service request via the app so that you're leaving a record of issues.

Secondly - you may try going to the SC and seeing what they say. Out here in CA they won't really work on your car unless there is a very clear safety issue with you vehicle just due to the # of teslas we have out here, but since you're in S. FL where temps are ridiculous it very well could be argued as a safety issue.

Several folks have posted online it "could" be a software issue or maybe a hardware issue. Either way, I'd drive into the SC first thing tomorrow and have them evaluate and give you a loaner if needed

Did you just now pick up the car? If so, I would definitely put in a service request via the app so that you're leaving a record of issues.

Secondly - you may try going to the SC and seeing what they say. Out here in CA they won't really work on your car unless there is a very clear safety issue with you vehicle just due to the # of teslas we have out here, but since you're in S. FL where temps are ridiculous it very well could be argued as a safety issue.

Several folks have posted online it "could" be a software issue or maybe a hardware issue. Either way, I'd drive into the SC first thing tomorrow and have them evaluate and give you a loaner if needed

I went on the app just to see if I made an appt how long it would be from todays date. It showed Nov 25th (not waiting that long). The AC will blow cold if I turn it down to around 70. It actually blows cool when u first turn it on sometimes but very quickly gots to blowing warm air. Going to call my local svc center today and see if I can bring it by and drop it off for them to look at.

I went on the app just to see if I made an appt how long it would be from todays date. It showed Nov 25th (not waiting that long). The AC will blow cold if I turn it down to around 70. It actually blows cool when u first turn it on sometimes but very quickly gots to blowing warm air. Going to call my local svc center today and see if I can bring it by and drop it off for them to look at.

Have you done a Hard Reset?

Reactions: Kimo
Don't you have your solution by changing the temp setting from 73 to ~70?

Also, what's your outside ambient temp?
- If outside temp is lower than inside setting them, then you get heating.
- If outside temp is higher than inside setting temp, then you get cooling.

Don't you have your solution by changing the temp setting from 73 to ~70?

Also, what's your outside ambient temp?
- If outside temp is lower than inside setting them, then you get heating.
- If outside temp is higher than inside setting temp, then you get cooling.
It was hot outside...about 90 degrees..had it set to 73...bringing the car in tomorrow to have it checked just to be sure. And, I know how the auto temp works but if it were cooler outside than what I had it set to in the car, it would slow or almost stop. This was blowing warm air like the heat setting was one. I also always make sure in auto temp mode that it's not splitting the ac between the front facing and the floor.

try putting in a different / old address in the app, to get a different svc center with maybe better / closer dates. I have had to drive as much as 60 miles for a timely appt (SoCal) with urgent issues, better now that more svc centers opened.

The app's climate control section will tell u what the temp detected is inside the car, I've had to do that on 3 where it sense it's 74 in the car, but it seems definitely hotter and lowering the temp below what is sensed is needed to kick the AC to blow cold. Maybe something is wrong with that temp sensor

Slightly unrelated that being said I still have the issue in the rear vents on the model 3 blowing too much heat in the winter. I have had to switch the rear vents fully off in the controls.

That's not right so something is off. Hope you get this fixed soon.

Have you tried the manual mode to see if it's different? I don't use the auto mode as I don't like how it blasts air immediately.

I drive with temp set to 70 and leave my rear vents on all the time. This works for me in the Bay Area even when it went into the 90s, but we don't get Florida's humidity.

It was hot outside...about 90 degrees..had it set to 73...bringing the car in tomorrow to have it checked just to be sure. And, I know how the auto temp works but if it were cooler outside than what I had it set to in the car, it would slow or almost stop. This was blowing warm air like the heat setting was one. I also always make sure in auto temp mode that it's not splitting the ac between the front facing and the floor.

Took in the Y today. Called first yesterday and they told me to bring it in and they would do tests on it. So, brought it in and while I was there, I had them also look at two panels on my car that needed fixing. One was the drivers side front door. The black trim was level and the bottoms of the doors were fine. However, from the middle of the door going up to the black trim up top, it stood away from the front of the rear door slightly but enough that you could see is looking forward from the rear of the car. The other spot was the rear hatchback on the lower left side (drivers side). It sat higher just slightly than the rear quarter panel. They fixed both of these and checked out the AC (nothing wrong with AC according to them...I put it on the sync mode and it seemed to be fine...maybe it was the fact I had one side higher than the other that was causing this).

Anyway, was very happy as they gave me a red Model X with white interior as my loaner to drive. What was supposed to take a couple of days didn't. Got a call at 5pm today and all was fixed to perfection. Kudos to Dania Beach Tesla service center and Dominic for all his help today. They wrote everything down and took care of it all. Now my Y is perfect. Below are 3 pictures of the rear left lower side of the hatch that was raised when I got the car (didn't post an after pic but it's perfect now) and tow pics of the before and after of the drivers side front door before and in my garage after).
-793615686_20201104_072351_1817197_resized.jpg
-794539207_20201104_072343_1848938_resized.jpg
-815780190_20201104_072327_1449571_resized.jpg
20201104_072334.jpg
20201104_183215.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cybergates
I live in Fla and noticed a similar issue. When I leave in the morning with AC set to 72 it seems to blow warm (for you Northerners its still in the 80s here in the AM). When I set to 70 I get cold air. I just set to 70 now and then if it gets too cool I move it to 72 again and seems to be fine at that point.

I did a reset (hard reset, foot on brake and push and hold both steering wheel buttons). Didn't help. Is that the reset you are speaking of or is there something at the dealer level they do differently?

Your issues were totally legit.

By the way, experienced Tesla Owner here: you can reset the car while you are driving: no brake press needed. If you have an old (2015) Model Y like me, you learn this the hard way!

yes,
Your issues were totally legit.

By the way, experienced Tesla Owner here: you can reset the car while you are driving: no brake press needed. If you have an old (2015) Model Y like me, you learn this the hard way!

Yes, the picture of the drivers door (more sticking out that the gap being too wide...pic makes it look like a gap issue which it wasn't) shows the adjustment needed and the pic of the door with the red garage underneath it is after it was fixed. The reset while car is on I have done but only when I first get to a longer stoplight. You have to hold in the buttons until the Tesla logo comes back on and it sometimes takes a while. After the reset, it didn't do much to help the ac blow colder. I have Googled this issue and apparently it's pretty common on the Y. Wonder if it's anything to do with the heat pump (as it's pumping out warm air in our Y...a little humor).

I know in a ford 72 is the magic number to start mixing in heat and it gets crappy. Doesn't matter the outside temp. Maybe its just something with how all the auto systems work? Give me a manual mix door knob and let the compressor adjust based on pressures lol