Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Cobra vs Tesla in Ludicrous mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone remember the AC Cobra from the 1960's that could go 0-100 and back to 0 again in (I think) 25 seconds. Can anyone with ludicuous mode say if the MS will beat this?
You'll want to read this article:
The 2017 Tesla Model S P100D and the 0-100-0 Test - Motor Trend

Summary:
- The claim was that the 1965 Cobra did the 0-100-0 in 13.8 seconds. But that time is disputed and not (easily) replicated.
- The Tesla Model S P100D Ludicrous does 0-100 in 6.0 seconds, and 100-0 in 4.2 seconds.

In 25 seconds, you could easily do 0-100-0-100-0 in the Tesla. :D

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Ande and SSonnentag
I have an ERA Cobra replica with a 427 Side Oiler (445 HP and 505 foot pounds of torque) from 1966 (refreshed) and a top loader 4 speed trainee. 3.31 rear end gears (high speed not drag gears).
I also have a P90D Ludicrous.
There is no doubt that my P90D Ludicrous can consistency outperform my ERA when in Ludicrous mode.
It takes quite a few (many) launches to perfect a good clean get away in the Cobra. A sense of feel and touch and meticulous attention to RPMs and tire spin. Hard to perfect time after time.

This is NOT the case with the P90D. My wife could very successfully launch the P90D right from the first try to the last.
Very very predictable and easy is the P90D.
Not so much with the Cobra.

However, for every 100 thumbs up while driving the Cobra, the Tesla gets but one (maybe).
The visceral feel, sound and experience of the Cobra really is from another world. We love it.

It is quite hard to explain fully unless you drive both.
They are on opposite sides of the spectrum.... from my perspective.
The P90D is fast, quiet, sophisticated and smooth.

The Cobra is crude, harsh, loud (I wear ear plugs), smelly (fumes), hot, light, and a handful to handle.
It is all manual, no power anything. Simple.
The Cobra gets about 9 MPG of high test thru the QuickFuel 750 double pumper carb.
Every gallon of fuel emits about 135,000 BTUs of heat so she runs HOT especially in the summer. Thankfully it is an open roadster.
If you are not used to the Cobra the rear can come totally around on you during a hard launch with smoking tires.
It will pivot around the fronts. Quite an experience.... ahem.
Also the brakes on the ERA Cobra are period correct, not power assisted (they were not in the day) and you really have to STAND on them to lock up the tires. Hard.
No ABS or traction control.
Old school.
But so cool.

BTW there were 2 major models of the Cobra. The more common are the 289 and FIA variants.
Later and made in way fewer numbers was the 427 Cobra which culminated the run. I think only about 375 or so 427 body styles were made and most of them were shipped with a slightly tamer 428 engine.
The OP's recollection of the 0-100-0 test record was performed by the 427 model. The narrower 289 model was more nimble and lighter. There were a few Daytona models of the Cobra made specifically for LeMans racing by the factory team. Then came the GT40 which was not a Cobra. The more modern Ford GT continues the family heritage.

Last edited: