Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Compressor dead, now X will be 4xx miles away when ready.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On our drive to SoCal this weekend during the heatwave.

AC stopped working after Supercharging @ Harris Ranch. Went to Kettleman and let it cool a bit. Called Tesla roadside and was told to let it sit, probably due to outside heat, supercharing, etc...

20 minutes later, started X, AC seems to be working, started driving. 5 minutes later, warning that there's 'limited AC and battery cooling, call Tesla). windows down, 101 degrees outside, cabin was like 98 degrees per the tesla app, rough it down to Tejon Ranch Supercharger. Charging and completely turn power off. got back to car and AC seems to be working, albeit with fan-speed of about 5, but cabin is cool enough to drive. Make it down to Anaheim. Next day, seems to be fine, then driving around and heard loud whining fan-noise. Error message now says "Car might not restart after power-off, call Tesla". Was told to bring it in, closest service center to me is Costa Mesa.

Was told AC Compressor is dead and need replacement, that was replaced today, but they still need car for diagnostics till Monday. I need to come back to Bay Area tomorrow. Have loaner Model S (with all kind of problems, but no other loaner avaialble). I'm going to drive Model S back with Fam. But will need to figure out how to get my X back without me going down South and driving it back. Service Center will not transport car, told me to have my insurance tow it at my own expense. I really don't have a choice except to do this. Don't have time to deal with a trip down south and back.

Anybody have experience with using your insurance to tow over 400 miles? Tesla service told me it'll be about $600 for them to have a tow company do it. They said I can drop off loaner @ any service center up north. Was trying to ask them if they can just drop it off with a transport that does the deliveries between Delivery Centers, there's a Costa Mesa Delivery center with a bizillion Model 3 deliveries. But they said no.

While I was down @ the Service Center, there was another Tesla owner from San Jose that was having the same problem and they even have all their luggages with them @ the service center waiting for a loaner.

I'm thinking worst case scenario (I'm not sure I trust a tow company to 'tow' my Model X all the way up). I might just go back down and drive it up and just waste a day of my life.

Thanks for reading. More venting really than looking for answer since I know what my options are. Technically, I know I can't have the Tesla be responsible for my own travel plans and mishaps that's beyond anybody's control. I'm just miffed that the timing of it and AC Compressor issue throw a monkey-wrench into our visit to the happiest place on earth.

-ThinkMac-

Man, sorry to hear this. That’s got to be so frustrating both from a waste of your time, money, ruining your trip.. and they still need to run diagnostics? Any reason if they replaced the compressor you can’t just take it and get whatever else needs to get checked out when you get home?

I'm sorry to hear that.
If I were you I would take chances and ask them to return the car and drive it back home, even with some possible AC issues, as long as AC works perfectly after the replacement. 400 miles would require at least one supercharging and full AC would be needed for that, so I would save energy and charge at cool locations if multiple choices.

I had a similar problem in my X last week on a Los Angeles to Boston trip. My ac stopped working in hot conditions. I figured out that the condenser had froze up. Once I let it thaw out while I was supercharging the car was fine. I am a little disappointed that the service center couldn’t diagnose the issue. I think this might be a common problem.

Thanks all. The tech insist that they run diagnostics to pinpoint my error 'car might not restart after power off'. Guess it's a big deal. I told them it's probably related to the AC Compressor, since I turned off the AC, the error goes away immediately. For whatever reason, they can't give it back to me on Sat the 7th, which means it'll probably be ready on Mon the 8th, but I'm leaving SoCal today. Oh well. I think Anzir is right, I might just end up driving it back myself.

-ThinkMac-