Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Compressor stopped working in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else in the Sierra Nevada area this week experienced the cabin heater not working in the car? We had a nightmare 22 hour long drive with no heat in the freezing weather. Car has only 8000 miles on it.
when was your car built? Tesla went through a gigantic problem with pressure sensors and/or other components that made the HVAC fail. This was well before I got my car, but I was reading the forums in January and February 2021. There were numerous horror stories of people stuck with minimal or no heat in very cold places like Minnesota that also were very far from any Tesla service location.

Tesla first tried some software remedies that may have worked in some cases but were not really effective overall. Then they moved to replacement of some components including the aforementioned pressure sensors, but the design or manufacturer was faulty and in many cases the new parts would fail again. Eventually they were able to switch to an improved part and I believe cars can be fixed permanently and confidently now.

I'm not really clear on the entire story with these cars and whether there was a general recall, or simply a wait to see if the HVAC fails. Without a general recall, I would not be at all surprised that there is another wave of problems this winter, for owners that escaped the problem last winter but still have the failure-prone parts.

With all that said, it's possible your car is not in this same problem batch and that you simply have an unrelated problem. But if your car is from late 2020 / early 2021, you might want to search the forum and read the several threads from that time that discussed failure of the HVAC. I believe there were also some failures of AC cooling in hot weather, but the people caught in sub-zero conditions with no heat was the scariest part.