Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ac condenser replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DIY AC condenser swap

DEAD DEAD EASY!!!

DISABLE TILT ALARM

Jack up safely
Use axle stands for safety ( BUT UNDER BATTERY)

Frunk out - 10 min job 10mm and 13mm sockets ( don't unscrew the rubber plugs in the side plastics these just pop through)

Check things whilst it's open like potentially loose plugs ( I found a couple), missing trim clips etc.

Wheel off 21mm deep socket.

Arch liner out. Clips and 2 send tapping bolts going up under the bumper, 2 10mm nuts straight in front of you slightly the left /front of the shock.( buy new retaining clips , dirt cheap and makes things easier)

Unplug the fan motor
Bottom retaining torx for condenser now visible - give them a squirt of wd or similar and go easy. Aluminum gets a bit furry over time.

Undo AC lines, remove 10mm nut gently tap the bit near the where the nut was and wiggle . Take your time and be gentle.

The condenser and fan come out as one unit bottoM first at an angle then down.

Swap the fan to the new condenser and refit.
Be clean! Do not get any crap in the new condenser or lines.

Clean up ac lines at the mounting face - simple scrape with the flat blade of a Stanley knife will do our fine fine sand paper with a bit of cleaner.
Wipe with isopropyl or brake cleaner on a rag. THIS IS JUST TIDYING THE SURFACE NOT FILING IT ETC

Replace seals and lube then reattach.

Now is the time to get the unit leak tested & refilled.

THEN refit arch liner wheel and frunk etc
Job done.

Reactions: BostonBurley
DIY AC condenser swap

DEAD DEAD EASY!!!

DISABLE TILT ALARM

Jack up safely
Use axle stands for safety ( BUT UNDER BATTERY)

Frunk out - 10 min job 10mm and 13mm sockets ( don't unscrew the rubber plugs in the side plastics these just pop through)

Check things whilst it's open like potentially loose plugs ( I found a couple), missing trim clips etc.

Wheel off 21mm deep socket.

Arch liner out. Clips and 2 send tapping bolts going up under the bumper, 2 10mm nuts straight in front of you slightly the left /front of the shock.( buy new retaining clips , dirt cheap and makes things easier)

Unplug the fan motor
Bottom retaining torx for condenser now visible - give them a squirt of wd or similar and go easy. Aluminum gets a bit furry over time.

Undo AC lines, remove 10mm nut gently tap the bit near the where the nut was and wiggle . Take your time and be gentle.

The condenser and fan come out as one unit bottoM first at an angle then down.

Swap the fan to the new condenser and refit.
Be clean! Do not get any crap in the new condenser or lines.

Clean up ac lines at the mounting face - simple scrape with the flat blade of a Stanley knife will do our fine fine sand paper with a bit of cleaner.
Wipe with isopropyl or brake cleaner on a rag. THIS IS JUST TIDYING THE SURFACE NOT FILING IT ETC

Replace seals and lube then reattach.

Now is the time to get the unit leak tested & refilled.

THEN refit arch liner wheel and frunk etc
Job done.

Which model is this info about?

If you’ve never worked with pressurized refrigerant lines this will not be dead easy. Read up on what you’re about to do and the follow up work that will need to be done. Avoid breathing in the refrigerant, and be sure to do this in a ventilated place. Get your Tesla service manual subscription and read through the procedure. It has more warnings than any other topic. Be safe.

I’m doing this on a Model X as we speak. Will update on the progress once done. Found a leak in condenser. Ordered replacement part from AliExpress. Gonna install now.

The car is now giving “Air Conditioned Reduced” error after recovering refrigerant and vacuuming the AC system.

FOR RIGHT SIDE FAN
Last updated: 02/03/2020 13:50:14

Fan - Condenser - RH (Remove and Replace)​

Correction Code 18201602

Removal​

1. Remove the front wheel arch liner (refer to procedure).
  2. If equipped, release the bolts (x2) that secure the front bumper support bar (torque 11 Nm). Remove the bar from the vehicle.
    BD7F48AC-A724-468B-B23A-14B925AF41D6.png
  3. Disconnect the fan motor electrical connector.
    750D6AD5-B9B5-4A42-B732-FC9927DFE14D.png
  4. Remove the bolts that secure the fan to the body:
    • Rear Wheel Drive: 4 bolts on the bottom of the fan
    • Dual Motor: 4 bolts on top of the fan
  5. Remove the bolts (x4) that secure the fan assembly to the condenser (torque 6 Nm).
    E0D58315-3DD4-4B1D-8DA5-D3673357F9BE.png
  6. Carefully separate the fan housing from the condenser, and remove it from the vehicle.
  7. Remove any debris collected in the condenser and fan housing.

Installation​

Installation procedure is the reverse of removal, except for the following:
Note
Clean the affected areas before installation.

FOR RIGHT SIDE FAN

Fan - Condenser - RH (Remove and Replace)​

Correction Code 18201602

Removal​

1. Remove the front wheel arch liner (refer to procedure).
  2. If equipped, release the bolts (x2) that secure the front bumper support bar (torque 11 Nm). Remove the bar from the vehicle.
    View attachment 832953
  3. Disconnect the fan motor electrical connector.
    View attachment 832954
  4. Remove the bolts that secure the fan to the body:
    • Rear Wheel Drive: 4 bolts on the bottom of the fan
    • Dual Motor: 4 bolts on top of the fan
  5. Remove the bolts (x4) that secure the fan assembly to the condenser (torque 6 Nm).
    View attachment 832955
  6. Carefully separate the fan housing from the condenser, and remove it from the vehicle.
  7. Remove any debris collected in the condenser and fan housing.

Installation​

Note
This is for Model S right? Model X 5 seater only has 1 condenser in front center

FOR LEFT SIDE FAN

Fan - Condenser - LH (Remove and Replace)​

Correction Code 18201502

Removal​

1. Recover refrigerant from the vehicle (refer to procedure).
  2. Remove the front wheel arch liner (refer to procedure).
  3. Remove the bolts (x2) and remove the front bumper support bar (torque 11 Nm).
    3EA38DA7-D3D6-4489-8CF6-5C64C5071632.png
  4. Remove the nut that secures the air conditioning pipe to the condenser (torque 8 Nm).
    E2DF6FB8-6CE6-4806-9C88-C3CF54D85883.png
  5. Disconnect the pipe and tie it aside.
    CAUTION
    Plug pipe connections to prevent ingress of moisture or dirt.
    CAUTION
    Lubricate new O-rings with clean refrigerant oil.
  6. Disconnect the fan motor electrical connector. (note: RH side shown)
    21292AF6-4C1D-4769-BDF9-E932A5EEF823.png
  7. Remove the bolts (x4) that secure the fan assembly to the condenser (torque 6 Nm).
    C4E70004-A61A-410C-9998-7B6318DF0C92.png
  8. Carefully separate the fan housing from the condenser, and remove it from the vehicle.
  9. Remove any debris collected in the condenser and fan housing.

Installation​

CAUTION
Lubricate new O-rings with clean refrigerant oil.
Note

A/C Refrigerant Recovery and Recharge (Remove and Replace)​

Correction Code 18200102
Warning
Servicing must only be performed by personnel familiar with both vehicle systems and the charging and testing equipment. Always read and understand the HVAC machine operator’s manual before operating the HVAC machine.
Warning
R134a and R1234yf are hazardous liquids and, if handled incorrectly, can cause serious injury. Suitable protective clothing, consisting of face protection, heat-proof gloves, rubber boots and apron or waterproof overalls, must be worn when carrying out operations on the air conditioning system.
Warning
Do not breathe refrigerant and lubricant vapor or mist. Exposure may cause personal injury, especially to the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. Perform service and repairs in a well-ventilated area. If accidental discharge occurs, ventilate the work area before returning to work. Additional health and safety information may be obtained from equipment, refrigerant, and lubricant manufacturers; refer to their instruction manuals and Material Safety Data Sheets.
Warning
Avoid using an extension cord on the recovery machine whenever possible. If an extension cord is used, it may overheat and cause a fire. If you must use an extension cord, use the shortest extension cord possible with a minimum 14AWG wire rating.
Warning
Do not use compressed air to pressure test or leak test the HVAC machine or the vehicle HVAC system. Some mixtures of air and refrigerant are combustible at elevated pressures. These mixtures are potentially dangerous and may result in fire or explosion, causing personal injury or property damage.
Warning
Be aware of fire hazards. Do not use the HVAC machine in the vicinity of spilled or open containers of flammable liquid.
Warning
If you are operating the HVAC machine in an environment where temperatures exceed 120 degrees Fahrenheit / 49 degrees Celsius, you must wait 10 minutes between jobs.
Warning
Never transfer refrigerants to a cylinder or tank unless it is Department of Transportation approved for refilling. DOT approval is indicated by the designation “DOT 4BA” or “DOT 4BW” stamped on a tank’s collar (handle). If a refrigerant tank is overfilled, it may explode. To prevent this from occurring, when transferring refrigerant into a tank, the safe filling level must be controlled by weight, and must not exceed 60% of the tank’s gross weight rating.
CAUTION
Only use Tesla-specified refrigerant in the vehicle and the A/C recovery and recharge machine. The unit is designed to recover, recycle, and recharge only Tesla-specified refrigerant. Do not attempt to adapt the unit for another refrigerant. Do not mix refrigerant types through a system or in the same container; mixing of refrigerants will cause severe damage to the unit and the vehicle air conditioning system.
CAUTION
Do not mix different types of A/C system oil. Model S, Model X, and Model 3 use ND-11 spec POE oil, while Roadster 1.5 and 2.0 use different oils (PVE for 1.5 cars and POE for 2.0/2.5 cars). If the HVAC machine is not solely dedicated to Model S, Model X, and Model 3 use, perform internal self-flushing of the A/C lines in the machine before every service to prevent cross-contamination. Refer to the section “Set Up HVAC Machine” for further information on performing the self-flushing procedure of the A/C lines.
CAUTION
Do not allow refrigerant oil to come in contact with any surfaces of the vehicle as it may cause damage to the paint, trim, or finish on the vehicle.
CAUTION
Always keep refrigerant oil tightly sealed, clearly marked, and in its original container to prevent contamination of any kind.
CAUTION
Do not over-fill the vehicle’s A/C system with oil. Only put in the exact amount that you take out. Always measure the amount of oil extracted and refill it with that exact amount.
CAUTION
Always maintain different oil canisters for managing different types of oil. These canisters should be clearly marked to avoid any cross-contamination when switching between the two oils.
CAUTION
The refrigerant cylinders currently in use as source tanks are disposable cylinders. Before they are discarded, disposable refrigerant cylinders should be connected to recovery equipment and brought to a vacuum to ensure that all refrigerant has been removed. The cylinder should then be marked “Empty”.
CAUTION
Always follow the information label when determining the refrigerant capacity of the vehicle being worked on. Do not over-fill or under-fill the air conditioning system with refrigerant.

Ah, I’m guessing you don’t have toolbox access currently? Did you stage a software update and perform the update after installing new part?
Alibaba will not be perfectly plug and play, but software update will hopefully recognize and accept the change.
Here's what exactly happened.

My car hasn't been cooling the cabin enough. I bought and added refrigerant myself which made AC work great for a week or so and then become less and less effective. So I figured there was a leak somewhere.

Opened up the frunk. Used official service manual and reached the condenser. Found it leaking in multiple places in leak test I carried out. So I ordered the replacement part (part number 1048499-00-C) from AliExpress. Tesla wanted 5 times the price of AliExpress alternative part plus their labor cost would have been extra over that. I will get the part from AliExpress in couple of days time.

I have recovered the refrigerant and have vacuumed the AC system. In the process of now installing the part as soon as I get it, hopefully very soon! Havent installed the part yet but the car is now showing “Air Conditioned Reduced. Supercharging speed reduced" error on instrument cluster. This error has never shown up for me until now when I have taken the entire refrigerant out of system and vacuumed it. So im assuming it's because of this it's showing this error and hopefully it will go away automatically once new condenser is installed and have added the proper and required oil and refrigerant back in the system.

No I dont have access to Toolbox.

As for AliExpress part not fitting properly, before ordering I did talk to the seller and he assured me it will work fine. I took the risk and we shall see. I will keep you guys posted on my progress. Fingers crossed it all works!

Ah, I see.
The rule of thumb is to stage a software update when you swap parts that have an electrical connection. Same thing at service center. Your Ali condenser will probably be great; but even a newer OEM version of your condenser may require a software update to accept the new part(s).
I was under the impression that everything had been installed already, but the error message makes more sense considering the issue still exists. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: taimurasad
Ah, I see.
The rule of thumb is to stage a software update when you swap parts that have an electrical connection. Same thing at service center. Your Ali condenser will probably be great; but even a newer OEM version of your condenser may require a software update to accept the new part(s).
I was under the impression that everything had been installed already, but the error message makes more sense considering the issue still exists. Let us know how it goes.
Will do thanks!