Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC died today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have this? 2000 miles and 2.5 months. Otherwise car still doing good. I had some signs when it couldn't cool down well in 100+ temps the last couple weeks, yet owners in Phoenix are saying it works well in 110F. Tesla will check it out Monday and hopefully have it back to me Tues for a Central Valley drive the next day.
Driving from Fairfield to Sacto today. Flat, with slight tailwind. 330-340 Wh/mile average over the 60 miles I drove. 84-86F outside, Tesla app saying 89F inside. AC on #11 and temp to "Lo." Felt good to get out of car in Sacto at 89F outside. Preconditioned car at end of work for 45 min, never went below 89, despite outside temp of 93. Hopefully something simple and good to go.

Sorry - Wrong category. Not sure how to move it.

I know its slightly different but my Model S did this this weekend on a road trip! About 1800 miles in on my new car and 32 days since purchase of the car and the AC decides to fail... upon talking to the service center on the phone yesterday they pulled my cars logs and suggested I not drive the car any more beyond driving it directly to a service center on Monday. Quite disappointing to not be able to drive my new car for a day and 1/2 in the middle of a road trip ended up taking Taxi's and Ubers all day today, don't know why they didn't bring me a loaner and take my car for service...

I planed to drive home tomorrow mid day, now I have to stay in the area until my car is hopefuly fixed so I can then drive home down the coast later in traffic.:( Anyone know how long this repair takes is it unreasonable to expect it to be fixed same day?? My wife has work on Tuesday so we really need to make it home tomorrow... plus we don't have a place to stay in town if the car isn't fixed...

Hi Fryfrye - I thought about it, but.... We will see. I have my first big trip in 2 days, so anxious that I may have to take the old ICE through the grapevine twice instead of the beautiful X. Hopefully they get to it today and I can update everyone. Thanks for the replies.

Enjoy the Death Valley trip. Just remember, owners in Phoenix say it worked great in 110F temps.

So I went to the SC today and received a loaner while the diagnosed the issue... there answer was I need a new compressor, internal codes indicate an internal short, unfortunately they will have to order one which would take 2 days or so they offered to let me leave the car keep the loaner and they would trailer the car down to me when the work was done...:( on the positive side they said I could safely drive it home today due to the cooler temperatures and bring it to my local SC for the work in a few days since I already have a scheduled service on Wednesday they would have the parts shipped directly there for the repair so I drove home with the windows down and the sound system on 11 :D luckily it was 75-80 degrees today...

Same, worried that it might die.
Me too - only because the performance of the A/C seems unusually anemic - we seem to be sweating it out in the car sometimes when it is only 70-80F outside and consuming 400Wh/mi at 65mph in the process. Part of the problem may be the amount of sunlight coming into the car. The air may be at the correct temp, but the solar heating of your skin makes it feel hotter inside than the car is accounting for.

Me too - only because the performance of the A/C seems unusually anemic - we seem to be sweating it out in the car sometimes when it is only 70-80F outside and consuming 400Wh/mi at 65mph in the process. Part of the problem may be the amount of sunlight coming into the car. The air may be at the correct temp, but the solar heating of your skin makes it feel hotter inside than the car is accounting for.

One word: sunshade

I'm about to do a 300 miles road trip at +100F and towing my 2300lb double trailer seadoo ! My odometer is at ~2000 Miles at the moment. Everything is fine with my car and hope I won't have your issue !

Still doing it , I have the wood interior and will touch it from time to time

Last edited:
I know the factory sunroof is tinted but its not heat reflective, I added ceramic tint (3M Crystalline) to my roof, side, and back windows it blocks 97% of Infrared heat and dramatically reduces inside temps...
Heres some more info... 3M United States: Scotchgard Automotive Protection: Auto Dealerships: Products: Window Film: 3M™ Crystalline Window Films

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/662303O/3mtm-crystalline-automotive-window-films-brochure.pdf

Back on AC topic took my MS in today for service and they had received the wrong part... they ordered the right one but the distribution hub sent the wrong part... I went back to get my car (rather keep it at home in my garage:rolleyes:) and will return for service when they get the correct compressor part in to fix my AC.

I took in my MS today for AC issues today too. My AC was working and would get cool, but it would be very loud and even feel the vibrations through the pedals and steering wheel. The tech said it does look like I have a problem and they will keep it there tonight.

Took my car back into the Service Center Thursday around noon... just spoke to my service advisor today on friday and he suspects it won't be ready until later tonight or tomorrow morning, apparently the compressor itself is buried under a few components in the frunk ...

We just got our Model X yesterday. AC only cools if the vehicle is moving over 30mph. Otherwise it is just hot air. Which means driving around DC during the day is like sitting in a mobile electric kiln.

I emailed the DS last night. Called again today and getting no love from the SC. It's a pretty disappointing experience so far.

What did you expect for $100K? :) just kidding, hope you get some love and some cold air soon!