Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC - Does the S have "Max Air"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a fan of how "AUTO" mode handles vent/recirculate. When I have it in "AUTO" mode, it's almost always venting from the outside. I typically only notice it when I'm stuck behind a particularly bad tailpipe at a stoplight, but it's annoying. I think "AUTO" should begin on vent, and change to recirculate after a couple minutes of cooling.

I've been changing to a custom setting by manually putting it in recirculate as my default. Anyone else notice this?

Yes, from what I can tell AUTO is always "outside air", not recirculate. It's annoying, as the air from the highway is almost always gross. I just leave mine on recirculate all the time.

I had to put my hands up to the vents to feel the air coming out on higher fan speeds. On lower fan speeds it is almost non-existent.

Is this right?

I had that happen to me once. Guess what? I had the vents set to windshield. :redface:

I live in Florida, but I don't have a problem witht the AC. I like to set the temperature to the mid 60's and on recirculation with the fan set all the way down to reduce noise. I set the right steering wheel thumb wheel to adjust the fan speed. When I first get in the car and its hot I twirl the fan up all the way. Then after the cabin is cooled down I thumb it back to the low setting. More convenient that dipping into the display menus to adjust fan speed.

Larry

Last edited:
I just realized this but if you have the temperature set to LO and you double tap the front defrosters it acts like a max AC that you are looking for. I needed to defrost my windows quickly the other morning and the temp was still set to LO from the day before and I thought it would be warm air that came out...nope...it was freezing cole AC. It appears that it will go with whatever temp you have the car set to and blast the air out and triple speed...

I'm not a fan of how "AUTO" mode handles vent/recirculate. When I have it in "AUTO" mode, it's almost always venting from the outside. I typically only notice it when I'm stuck behind a particularly bad tailpipe at a stoplight, but it's annoying. I think "AUTO" should begin on vent, and change to recirculate after a couple minutes of cooling.
It doesn't change to/from recirculate automatically based on air quality? My BMW's have done that for almost 10 years (low-end 3 and 5 series so nothing fancy). I'll definitely miss that feature. :(

I just realized this but if you have the temperature set to LO and you double tap the front defrosters it acts like a max AC that you are looking for. I needed to defrost my windows quickly the other morning and the temp was still set to LO from the day before and I thought it would be warm air that came out...nope...it was freezing cole AC. It appears that it will go with whatever temp you have the car set to and blast the air out and triple speed...

I will try this. Here's something interesting though... When I have the temp set a Lo, or say 66, after the car cools down and then I raise the temp to say 68 - the heater turns on....