Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Fan not blowing intermittently model x 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

Now that’s it’s warming up I’ve been using the AC in my model x for the first time

It is a model X 2020 with seven seats so my research indicated thankfully that I have two AC units… One for the front and one for the rear.

I noticed on long rides that as I’m riding the air conditioning and blowing power of the fan in the front start to dwindle down.

In the very beginning of the ride the air blows great and the air conditioning appears to be working… But maybe 30 minutes into the ride, I noticed that the blowing power of the fan starts to diminish Significantly. This is only the front unit

My wife prefers to have the fan blow on her to cool her off so when we switch from auto to manuel , and put the settings all the way up to 11, we noticed that it is not blowing the air strong enough.

When you turn it up it sounds like it should be blowing and fan is louder, but the air is not blowing at an “11”

So why is this happening? Why am I getting full blowing power in the beginning of the ride and then it dwindles down?

when I switch to manual I really should be able to have the fan blow at a level of 11… But it won’t let me even though it’s shows 11 on the screen

Any suggestions? Something with maintaining the battery? I still should be able to get fall fan strength when set to manual but it seems to be overridden.

Thanks Rob

Make sure you don't have Range Mode turned on, but I think that is only supposed to affect A/C in Auto mode, not manual. I think you should be able to override that. Also, you can have split controls where the passenger side is set to a lower temp than the driver's side, so you might try that as well.

My 2017 is terrible about airflow and cooling when blowing air anywhere other than the main vents, if you haven't already, you might manually confirm that you don't have it blowing toward feet or the windshield. Also, for the record, you only have one A/C compressor, but there is a separate condenser for the four outboard vents behind the driver (the vents in the center console and under the front seats are tied to the front condenser).

Hello

Now that’s it’s warming up I’ve been using the AC in my model x for the first time

It is a model X 2020 with seven seats so my research indicated thankfully that I have two AC units… One for the front and one for the rear.

I noticed on long rides that as I’m riding the air conditioning and blowing power of the fan in the front start to dwindle down.

In the very beginning of the ride the air blows great and the air conditioning appears to be working… But maybe 30 minutes into the ride, I noticed that the blowing power of the fan starts to diminish Significantly. This is only the front unit

My wife prefers to have the fan blow on her to cool her off so when we switch from auto to manuel , and put the settings all the way up to 11, we noticed that it is not blowing the air strong enough.

When you turn it up it sounds like it should be blowing and fan is louder, but the air is not blowing at an “11”

So why is this happening? Why am I getting full blowing power in the beginning of the ride and then it dwindles down?

when I switch to manual I really should be able to have the fan blow at a level of 11… But it won’t let me even though it’s shows 11 on the screen

Any suggestions? Something with maintaining the battery? I still should be able to get fall fan strength when set to manual but it seems to be overridden.

Thanks Rob
This is a known problem on those cars caused by a faulty evaporator temp sensor getting stuck at some wrong temperature causing freeze protection to kick in. Of course Tesla decided that this vital bit of information "A/C operation degraded because evaporator is frozen" is not worthy to show not just to owners but also to service techs. There's a bulletin and all service centers know how to fix it though so schedule the service now.

There's a workaorund where you turn off a/c and keep just the fan or turn on heat for 5 minutes or so and the condition clears temporarily.

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym
This is a known problem on those cars caused by a faulty evaporator temp sensor getting stuck at some wrong temperature causing freeze protection to kick in. Of course Tesla decided that this vital bit of information "A/C operation degraded because evaporator is frozen" is not worthy to show not just to owners but also to service techs. There's a bulletin and all service centers know how to fix it though so schedule the service now.

There's a workaorund where you turn off a/c and keep just the fan or turn on heat for 5 minutes or so and the condition clears temporarily.
I experienced this a few times last summer and again yesterday during a 400 mile drive. Even on “11”, you could barely feel the air coming out. Thankfully, I have the 2 units in my X, so with both units on max, it seemed to make things tolerable. When I eventually made a SC stop, things seemed to return to normal for the 45 minutes remaining in my trip. Thanks to your post, I just made a service appointment.

let me know what happens.
when I brought it in, they couldn't find the problem.

then it happened again, so I called tech support. they analysed it and stated they saw it wasn't working and notified the service center.

when I brought it in, service center said they were never notified. so I'm waiting for it to happen again.

may be a faulty fan

rob