Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 AP2/MCU1 car with FSD upgrade. Many weird things have started since the FSD upgrade, including the incredible sluggishness of EVERYTHING. Most recently, as the outside temperature is increasing, the car does not blow cold air from the vents. At the SC last week: "Perform system reset and calibration over AC system and re-enable grill shutters and verify now working as designed."

Today the car was parked in the sun, windows closed, with the cooling set at 65 degrees. After lunch the inside temperature was 92 (outside temp was 50). When we got back in the car, the vents were blowing warm air, warmer than 50 degrees. I had to turn the climate control off while we were driving, because it was blowing warm air.

They told me the compressor is working normally, and the temperature sensors are working, it's just blowing the wrong temperature air.

I discussed the possibility of the MCU2 upgrade yesterday, and that was when I was told about the $500 increase in price for AP2 cars.
I paid for a functional car with FSD. This car will not be drivable this summer in its current state.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?
Is this another phenomenon of MCU1 with FSD upgrade?
Any thoughts on how to get this fixed?

You're not the only one.

I was told it was a firmware issue. That was on a 95°F outside air Canadian summer in 2018. Hasn't happened again, but it looks like they still haven't fixed the issue. FWIW, I was told to keep the cold setting at 68°F or higher.

I have a 2016 AP2/MCU2 upgrade car and noticed a couple of times recently that the car was not cooling the interior correctly, but only on preconditioning the car. These were sunny days in CO when the interior temp rose into the 90's, but the exterior temp was still in the 40's. There was hot air blowing around in the car and no cooling. This corrected as soon as I started driving. I figured it was software related and the car trying to precondition the battery which would have been cold and not preconditioning the hot interior. I've only noticed it a couple of times, but definitely something different.

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
Update:
They diagnosed a bad Thermal Controller Module ($430) and replaced it. (Although they said this was an unusual problem, they had one in stock.) After that was replaced they were getting errors from the Thermal expansion valve ($70) and replaced it. They also said the LH Front Fascia Active Louver ($260) was not opening and closing properly and replaced that as well.
They offered to replace the compressor, which they thought "sounded funny". They said there was no debris in the coolant and it is cooling well, so I saw no reason to replace it yet.
I took the long way home and experienced no problems. Hopefully this fixes things for a while.

For a car I have been driving for more than 4 years and 65k miles, this ($1050) and a 12 volt battery are the only maintenance expenses I have had other than 1 set of tires. I knew I was a "beta tester" when I bought the car (even if unofficially) and I'm still waiting for FSD.
My only question now is whether to go Plaid, or stay with what I've got for a couple more years....

Update:
They diagnosed a bad Thermal Controller Module ($430) and replaced it. (Although they said this was an unusual problem, they had one in stock.) After that was replaced they were getting errors from the Thermal expansion valve ($70) and replaced it. They also said the LH Front Fascia Active Louver ($260) was not opening and closing properly and replaced that as well.
They offered to replace the compressor, which they thought "sounded funny". They said there was no debris in the coolant and it is cooling well, so I saw no reason to replace it yet.
I took the long way home and experienced no problems. Hopefully this fixes things for a while.

For a car I have been driving for more than 4 years and 65k miles, this ($1050) and a 12 volt battery are the only maintenance expenses I have had other than 1 set of tires. I knew I was a "beta tester" when I bought the car (even if unofficially) and I'm still waiting for FSD.
My only question now is whether to go Plaid, or stay with what I've got for a couple more years....
is your problem fixed now? mine been doing this for last 5-6 months....really noticed yesterday when it was 89F in Irvine,Ca

ws the MCU1 the problem or did Tesla do something else
The MCU was no the problem for the AC:
Update:

But, the MCU1/HW3 combination still sucks.

Update:

took mine in on Monday to the new Irvine service center.....beautiful service center.....tom (the SA) told us the tech could not find anything wrong....they checked coolant, hoses for leaks and everything else that could be a problem....they went for a long ride and tried a/c with every option and it functioned properly....I got in car with tom and we tried it and sure enough we had very cold air from front and the back now....although they did nothing, when I dropped it off, was not working....Picked it up and was great....wife drove it home and called me on the cell while driving to tell me Tesla lied......they had to have done something because it was ice cold air now...in front and in back....both in auto and manual modes...so I am happy...wife's happy and tom said if we had any issues to note the time and call him and he would look at the data....

Update:

2015 Model S 85D sw 2020.48.37.1
My A/C has not worked above 22 degrees celcius temperatures the last 3 years of 6 I have owned the car. I drive from Norway to south of Spain every year (3000km each way) so I get to really test the durability of the car and very pleased with all aspects of it. But for this one Tesla does not seem to be able to rectify the situation and I hope they do soon.

The tricky part for me is, in Norway, the temperatures are not that warm, so below 20 deg celcius and not supercharging as often as I do when I drive to Spain it is very hard to notice any inefficiencies until I am mid in the journey with kids in the back seat (outside temps above 38 deg celcius) and the app shows inside temp close to the 40 degree celcius levels, it is very very scary.

The latest A/C service was performed on March 19th 2021 (I already one in fourth quarter 2020). Shortly after that, I had a coincidental discovery the A/C was still not working properly, when I had to drive to the outskirts of Oslo which was a a little over an hour drive(a little over 2 hours drive in total), plus I had not charged the previous night so I needed to supercharge for about 20 min and the outside temperature was between 18 to 19 degrees celcius. The aircondition was blowing warm air the entire trip.

As of writing today it is 5 degrees celcius outside. I have sat in the car in the garage, put the a/c temp at LO activated the ac on the panel to test but to be honest it is a bit cold out and really hard to tell the difference if the a/c is working properly because I have not driven the car for days and it is pretty chilled inside the car due to low temperatures outside.

Within the last year the car has been in A/C service twice regarding this issue and new service is scheduled for 19th May 2021.

took mine in on Monday to the new Irvine service center.....beautiful service center.....tom (the SA) told us the tech could not find anything wrong....they checked coolant, hoses for leaks and everything else that could be a problem....they went for a long ride and tried a/c with every option and it functioned properly....I got in car with tom and we tried it and sure enough we had very cold air from front and the back now....although they did nothing, when I dropped it off, was not working....Picked it up and was great....wife drove it home and called me on the cell while driving to tell me Tesla lied......they had to have done something because it was ice cold air now...in front and in back....both in auto and manual modes...so I am happy...wife's happy and tom said if we had any issues to note the time and call him and he would look at the data....
Update: 4 May 21......A/C started blowing hot air again....took video and went back to Tesla....they confirmed the hot air blowing in all operation modes.....took copy of video.....it was 0806......we got call at 1130 and was told car was ready.....operating normally.....asked why the a/c stopped all together with my wife and then all of a sudden started up again.....Asked if we would leave car another day.....at 0930 the next day got call from service manager.....test drive shows a/c working normally....they replaced notringand said they did nothing.....could not answer question as to why and what was root cause of issue.....jusdt said to keep it on manual.....Tesla has been working on fix and will release when ready via OTA update.....I told them this issue has been known for over than 2.5 yrs and Tesla will not put in notes of update that this is a fix for the a/c blowing hot air in back vents.....

after we took car, the air is very cold in all modes....I told them about a friend with same issue and they replaced a couple of parts and no new problems....Service manager told me that there were no failure codes so he could nor replace anything, however if it happens again, they will replace parts to make it right....since they turn off the app while there you cannot monitor what going on....but I did see them driving the first day at 75mph on the city streets checking thing out.....10 min drive......

I just cannot figure out, if they say a/c is working normally, viewing the video and verified the hot air blowing out in all modes, what happened or what did they do to get a/c to work?......we will see how long it lasts......asked what I should do if driving to Yuma of to El Paso and a/c quits again......answer: open the windows

• Informative
Reactions: mymagiccarpet
Interesting thread. 2015 AP1/MCU1 and first experience of blowing way hot air yesterday - o/s temp 90. A/C was serviced in December at end of warranty (CPO vehicle).
I also regularly see the HVAC come on in Manual, when to our knowledge it was in Auto when the car was stopped (you can get this by rolling the fan wheel, I know this - but we are very aware of this).
I think there's a software issue here for older vehicles in addition to any hardware issues. As with the issue with BT now, it feels like those of us with MCU1 are getting 'squeezed'.

Update:

2016 AP2 MCU1 here as well. First thing this week, I got a message on my screen that AC was being reduced. After researching a bit, I started looking at the "louvers" in the front. Noticed all closed except the passenger bottom one. That remains opened. All that aside, I took it in to the service center and I got stuck with a rep who has shown nothing but hostility. No idea what this persons problem is....even today I called in to inquire about a message I recieved on the Tesla app switching my appointment (two week delay for part ordered, meaning I can't drive my car for two weeks as it is too hot in Vegas to drive without AC) and long behold.....she answered the phone. She went out of her way to emphasize that "You came in earlier this week and spoke to manager" as if mocking the situation and leaving impression that Manager did not do what he said he would do - put me on the list for a loaner.

Anyhow, they ordered a "Louver" ASY FR END DUCTING WITH HORNS, MS2; Part #: 1058073-00-B. I found it interesting that they did not look at my car. They simply did an over the air diagnostic. My concern? I bring the car in and they say "oh, we found additional problems not seen with the over-the-air diagnosis" delaying repairs.

Very concerning and extremely disappointed I'm getting stuck with a person who has demonstrated nothing but a level of personal hostility. Again, no idea why. Very discouraging.

Update: 4 May 21......A/C started blowing hot air again....took video and went back to Tesla....they confirmed the hot air blowing in all operation modes.....took copy of video.....it was 0806......we got call at 1130 and was told car was ready.....operating normally.....asked why the a/c stopped all together with my wife and then all of a sudden started up again.....Asked if we would leave car another day.....at 0930 the next day got call from service manager.....test drive shows a/c working normally....they replaced notringand said they did nothing.....could not answer question as to why and what was root cause of issue.....jusdt said to keep it on manual.....Tesla has been working on fix and will release when ready via OTA update.....I told them this issue has been known for over than 2.5 yrs and Tesla will not put in notes of update that this is a fix for the a/c blowing hot air in back vents.....

after we took car, the air is very cold in all modes....I told them about a friend with same issue and they replaced a couple of parts and no new problems....Service manager told me that there were no failure codes so he could nor replace anything, however if it happens again, they will replace parts to make it right....since they turn off the app while there you cannot monitor what going on....but I did see them driving the first day at 75mph on the city streets checking thing out.....10 min drive......

I just cannot figure out, if they say a/c is working normally, viewing the video and verified the hot air blowing out in all modes, what happened or what did they do to get a/c to work?......we will see how long it lasts......asked what I should do if driving to Yuma of to El Paso and a/c quits again......answer: open the windows
Don't give in so easily as I did. I had a similar issue with AC and the jet engine fan blowing extremely loud. I tried addressing this issue while under warranty but they dismissed it every time. Fast forward a few months, once I was out of warranty, and my AC died due to "louvers" not working, which looks like that caused the loud jet engine sound from the fan.

When I brought the issue about previously addressing this problem but no appointments could be made while under warranty, the employee threw a fit and became extremely hostile. I didn't demand anything either, I simply inquired about it. If they covered it great, if not, I still had to pay as my car is not drivable without AC. Not in this weather.

I love Tesla reps. The service Center in Vegas has always been great. Just this one unpleasant rep left a foul experience.

2016 AP2 MCU1 here as well. First thing this week, I got a message on my screen that AC was being reduced. After researching a bit, I started looking at the "louvers" in the front. Noticed all closed except the passenger bottom one. That remains opened. All that aside, I took it in to the service center and I got stuck with a rep who has shown nothing but hostility. No idea what this persons problem is....even today I called in to inquire about a message I recieved on the Tesla app switching my appointment (two week delay for part ordered, meaning I can't drive my car for two weeks as it is too hot in Vegas to drive without AC) and long behold.....she answered the phone. She went out of her way to emphasize that "You came in earlier this week and spoke to manager" as if mocking the situation and leaving impression that Manager did not do what he said he would do - put me on the list for a loaner.

Anyhow, they ordered a "Louver" ASY FR END DUCTING WITH HORNS, MS2; Part #: 1058073-00-B. I found it interesting that they did not look at my car. They simply did an over the air diagnostic. My concern? I bring the car in and they say "oh, we found additional problems not seen with the over-the-air diagnosis" delaying repairs.

Very concerning and extremely disappointed I'm getting stuck with a person who has demonstrated nothing but a level of personal hostility. Again, no idea why. Very discouraging.
I have an Oct 2016 car as well. During a mobile visit for a very unrelated reason (repeater camera replacement), the tech connected to the car and told me there was an alert dealing with the front louver mechanisms. I had no screen error messages, but I had had some irregular AC issues not cooling at times, but usually only in preconditioning the car.

I had the same part number replaced at a service center (with terrible Tesla service experience as usual, but that's a whole other story), but I was amazed how ice-cold my AC became. The remote diagnostic can definitely determine that part is failing. Hopefully, they do not find other stuff wrong with your car, but the AC was instantly better than I ever remember it being.

Reactions: Ghosty
Update:

For the record, I should have replaced the compressor. It died within 4 months of that visit.
I upgraded to MCU2 while they had the car. It was worth it.