Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine (6 months old), has also developed a NOT-typical buzz/humm from the climate control. It comes and goes (not with the compressor..its separate)...but is annoying if the music is off. The CC works fine so I'm not rushing in for service on this yet but again for a $100k car its unacceptable.

Now that I've had some 90 - 100 degree days, I'll comment on the A/C noise.

It's definitely noticeable on my car, but is kind of a smooth sound and not overly obnoxious. There IS vibration in the steering wheel. Not enough to cry foul for, but Tesla should really work on eliminating the vibration as it is kind of ... not sure what to call it, but it seems it is something that they should be ABLE to correct, and therefore SHOULD correct in future revisions.

My take on it is that it would be good to suggest to Tesla to improve it (at least addressing the vibration) on future cars but not expect them to retrofit existing ones.

I know this has been discussed before, but my 2 month old Model S AC is getting louder. Yes, I know it is getting hotter...!

I've attached a short version, and a longer one showing how the AC starts and kicks in. In that one, you can also hear the AC unit step up and down responding to the internal temp I think. (gets loud at 30 seconds)

The SC has heard the audio and after review say it is normal. I have to say my SC is fantastic, very helpful and I will defer to them for now.

However, this is far louder than it was even a week ago, and can be heard from quite a distance away.

Anyone else hear this?

Funny I'm seeing this thread. Recently noticed the same exact thing. 2016 85D. Also thought it was battery cooling, but turn AC off and noise is gone. But the variable is it's getting hot out! 95f every day.

So, it's loud and sometimes a bother, but the AC works great! The other variable could be software changes. I trust change.

I'm sorry but I don't agree, when my s90d's AC is humming it is LOUD!, I've never owned any car where the noise from the AC unit was so loud.
My fix is to cycle it off and back on, sometimes that calms things down.

When I started to notice a louder whine coming from the compressor, I also noticed it was when I placed the speed on high (11). I was able to quickly quiet the noise by turning it off/on and running the fan at speed 5 or 6. Drove home and never heard the whine again.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
When I started to notice a louder whine coming from the compressor, I also noticed it was when I placed the speed on high (11). I was able to quickly quiet the noise by turning it off/on and running the fan at speed 5 or 6. Drove home and never heard the whine again.

3 weeks ago I turned my AC on high. It had a new loud sound like a fan bearing was failing. It was louder in the cabin than outside. It vibrated my pedals and the steering wheel. I took it in a week later (2 weeks ago). When the returned it they said that they had a semi fix for customers complaining of this. It was a sound proofing box/gaurd around the compressor. Sure enough when I picked it up it was better.
Here's the interesting part that was surprising. A few days ago and 1 week after such "repair". My DC to DC inverter died and blew the fuse for it. I returned with fan blowing and no cold air. This repair resulted in replacement of my AC unit.
I am grateful for the service center getting me in so quick and always handling any issue that arises. This one was completed just proir to the 105° temperatures expected this week.
Thanks Tesla!

3 weeks ago I turned my AC on high. It had a new loud sound like a fan bearing was failing. It was louder in the cabin than outside. It vibrated my pedals and the steering wheel. I took it in a week later (2 weeks ago). When the returned it they said that they had a semi fix for customers complaining of this. It was a sound proofing box/gaurd around the compressor. Sure enough when I picked it up it was better.
Here's the interesting part that was surprising. A few days ago and 1 week after such "repair". My DC to DC inverter died and blew the fuse for it. I returned with fan blowing and no cold air. This repair resulted in replacement of my AC unit.
I am grateful for the service center getting me in so quick and always handling any issue that arises. This one was completed just proir to the 105° temperatures expected this week.
Thanks Tesla!

Sorry to hear about your AC, but glad the service center was able to quickly replace it. Your experience gives us something to keep an eye on with our cars. Here in the Orlando area, we are hitting the mid 90's with lots of humidity. I think the sound-proofing you referred to is already being installed in our cars from the factory, but not sure when it started. I've had my car for less than 6 months.

I wonder, with the recent onset of so many of us just now 'noticing' this anomaly, if it could have been introduced by a recent software update? I've seen three in the past 3 weeks and only after the most recent one did I for the first time hear it seem to work 'extra hard' to cool down the battery/passenger compartment. I will try disabling and re-enabling range mode, as this should not be occurring but it is unpleasantly noticeable this week.

Here is another thread where it was mentioned a 'new' algorithm was coming soon, I wonder if this is why all of a sudden the car is much louder with the AC even set to 4? Temps remain about where they were before the update over the weekend as last week when no such noise was perceptible. Seems as if someone broke something that was working, perhaps in an attempt to remedy the issue in older models?

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

Last edited:
I have been chasing a fan noise that occurs when the vehicle is not moving, and the fan speed is turned DOWN to the 2-3 range. It sounds like a blade-shroud contact. It does not seem to occur at higher fan speed or while moving. I believe this is the HVAC fan and not the compressor nor the fans on the condenser. (not the high pitched 'jet' noise that exists when the system is on maximum cooling).

I don't have any other problems at the moment, so I hate to have the SC tear apart my car to address it...

Today's latest update appears to have reverted some of that excess noise, and I was able to run the AC between level 2 and 5 and did not notice a significant increase in noise. Looks like they corrected the issue seen in the last release, although it was not specifically called out in the 'bug fixes and improvements' displayed on the screen after the update.

2013 P85 57k and when turning AC on I get a very loud noise from the left driver vent that either goes away eventually or only when i turn the AC off and fan is still running....any idea what it can be?

The AC noise in our P85D was getting really loud. This was fixed during annual check-up. Apparently a line was slightly rubbing against the frame. In any case the loud noise is gone and we are back to normal.

You folks are all pikers when it comes to AC compressor noise. My S85, pre-D was noisy at the outset and has gotten worse ever since. Tesla service has looked at it three time, and has steadfastly refused to do anything. Yes, it has the acoustic cover. The steering wheel shake aggressively and it is the loudest noise source at 70 mph! My car is the champion of noise. Grrrrrrr!!!!!

To mitigate the noise level, I have tried cooling the car at least 5 minutes before I leave my office for the day. Once I am in the car, I lower the temp or fan speed and its been much quieter before I hit the road.

Okay, you are very, very tolerant. Us? Not so much so.

We're on our 6th and 7th Model S's and we are sick and tired of "work arounds" like yours to try to make the AC NVH acceptable.

At his price point, let alone even in a Toyota Camry, THIS LEVEL OF NOISE AND VIBRATION IS NOT acceptable.

Please, next time you take it in for service, COMPLAIN about this because if we ALL do this, maybe, just maybe, Tesla will fix it.

Thanks!