Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could try checking with different service centers and see if there are shorter wait times at any of them? Otherwise just get your name in. I think for a compressor they shouldn't need to keep it that long, you may be able to get an appointment sooner if you don't need a loaner. Personally if it's not going to be multiple days I prefer to Uber instead of messing with a loaner, especially if it's through Enterprise.

In the mean time you can try turning on Range mode. Your car won't get as cool as quickly, but it may mitigate some of the noisiest periods of operation. You can also get in the habit of starting to turn on climate control from the app a few minutes before you you leave.

Also as an aside, this summer I finally got around to getting heat-blocking tint on all windows, it really does seem to help how hard the A/C has to work. I think they used this stuff: 3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series | 3M United States

Thanks for the infolrmation. BTW, had SC appt on Monday. They replaced the outside air actuator and Amazingly, the AC is cooling great, the battery usage is back to 250-320 wH/mi and the compressor is quiet like it was when new! I wonder if that all could be due to a faulty valve?? I hope the next firmware update doesn't undo it all.

Yep, that's my car as well. Distinct vibratory notes. I take it that is abnormal?

I would definitely say that it is abnormal. They replaced something on it. I will upload the original invoice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 1.36.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 1.36.21 PM.png
    139 KB · Views: 136
Bay Area has been a scorcher lately, with yesterday's temp over 100+ (at least, in the South Bay). Today's another scorcher as well and this is my first summer with the Model S. 2018 Dec Build Model S, 100D.

The loud AC noise was startling. It almost didn't sound normal but from reviewing this thread, it looks like it's supposed to be that way? Should I be concerned?

I notice it does get quieter when the car has cooled down a bit, or if you turn the AC down to level 2 or 3 from Full Max but the noise at full blast is ridiculously loud (and I thought the noise when supercharging is loud).

Had turned on the climate control prior to leaving the office, and noticed how loud the AC sound is as I approached the car. The sound was pretty loud from a distance as well (somewhat embarassing, hah!).

Anyways, any workaround to this or things I can do to avoid the loud AC fan running roise or is this just normal with the Tesla Model S?

I'm now wondering if I too have an A/C issue. When the fan speed is >5 (so a setting of 6 or higher), it sounds like a Harrier jet hovering on the street. I'll shoot a video of this when I get the chance.

Looking at this thread, many state it's a type of A/C servicing (flaps, valves, compressor itself). Is this something mobile service could handle, or does it require full-fledged service center intervention?

I'm now wondering if I too have an A/C issue. When the fan speed is >5 (so a setting of 6 or higher), it sounds like a Harrier jet hovering on the street. I'll shoot a video of this when I get the chance.

Looking at this thread, many state it's a type of A/C servicing (flaps, valves, compressor itself). Is this something mobile service could handle, or does it require full-fledged service center intervention?

Is it an an A/C issue though? Can someone confirm? Or just "normal" and you just have to live with it?

Mine sounds the same, at fan speed of 5 or higher. If I try set the climate control to cool down my car via app, before I leave work, I'll definitely hear the loud AC noise the minute I step outside the building. That's how loud it is.

Have a service center appointment on Friday for other unrelated issue so I'll be sure to ask them about it.

Six years later...My 2018 Model X still has this issue. It is not typical fan noise -- I def hear that when it is hot out -- but is more of a rattle like two parts are loose or vibrating off one another. On another thread someone said they got it addressed with a "spacer" installed by service. I'll bring it up next time I'm in but now out of warranty so not looking for extraneous service visits...