TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AC odor removal and cleaning

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lanzer, Jun 8, 2019.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

If you are buying 2 new filters to replace the old "dirty" ones, do you still need to soak/clean the brand new filters?

2. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Not clean the filters, but spray cleaner into the space and let it soak to get rid of the mold smell prior to installing the new ones

3. plasmo

plasmo Member

Ahh...gotcha

4. plasmo

plasmo Member

When you sprayed the cleaner (i'm buying the Nextzett 96110515 Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Cleaner), did you just spray it directly into the tight rectangular evaporator space where the 2 filters were located? Or did you create a spray contraption container (like the OP @Lanzer did) to apply the cleaner? thx

5. dano9258

dano9258 Member

I just sprayed it right in there towards the metal. Seems to have done the job great!

• Helpful x 2
  6. Lanzer

Lanzer Member

I have an idea on application without using any tools. Assuming that you have replacement filters, first take out the old filters, then wrap the old filters in saran wrap. Now put the old filters back, but before you insert the top filter, slip in the Klima cleaner application tube first. When you spray the cleaner, the foam should spread evenly across the evaporator surface.

It's just an idea, but hopefully it'll work :)

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

It would probably work. As long as you don't end up leaving pieces of wrap in the box.

I took my filters out, shook the can very well, and just sprayed into the box. Shook a few times midway through and had so much foam it was coming out of the hole, had to grab a rag to catch it from dripping out on the carpet.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, careful at the end of the can, you'll get more air than foam which will blow the foam off of the coil...

I let it sit for 25 minutes, then with the chamber empty, opened the doors, and turned the heat to 78 and the fans to 9, for about 45 minutes.

Put the new filters in, and it's been good so far... only been 6 days though.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  8. SigNC

SigNC Member

Had the coil cleaning and new air filters done today. Amazing difference.........now let's hope it's persistent.

9. JES2

JES2 Member

I noticed that my Model 3 would never get hotter than 100 degrees with cabin overheat (AC enabled) turned on. When the temperatures hit 110 a week ago, I did see an internal temperature of 125 degrees. However, I think the cabin overheat (just the fan) keeps it from going much higher than that.

Frankly, I would be more concerned about what mold or spores are forming in the filters that we are breathing in our lungs. A constant moisture is not a good thing to have happen. I think the cabin overheat "fan only" is a good solution. Simple air movement will cool it down, and it is something that ICE cars cannot really accomplish in a parking lot.

I've had no odor issues, since I implemented my changes (cabin overheat to fan only, no A/C circulation when driving, and 25 minutes - one time - of heat.) Plus, once the high heat ends, I'll probably turn back on AC recirculate.

10. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Finally got a chance to pickup the filters for my 3. Guess I’ve got a weekend project ahead of me.

11. gadgetware

gadgetware Member

Performed the maintenance today, sort of. I didn't have the replacement filters so I just took them out and blew them off, then put them in a bag with my ozone generator for 10 minutes to clear out any mold. They didn't look or smell bad out of car so I'm not sure the filters really matter that much in terms of the smell. I then sprayed the Klima in the filter compartment toward the evaporator until it was full of foam, waited 25 minutes and then ran the fan for a while.

Fingers crossed that this works but I'm wondering if the problem is in the evaporator or if it the mold is also growing in the pan below the evaporator and if so, how would we go about cleaning that? If I have to do it again I will probably try the method mentioned above where you wrap your old filters in plastic wrap to force more of the Klima into the evaporator coils.

• Informative x 1
  12. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

I think I did mine different than most people. What I did...

Scoped inside the AC area.
    Soaked the filters with VitalOxide mixed 4:1 in a gallon sprayer
    Sprayed inside the intake from front of car
    Sprayed all over inside the chamber
    Scoped the area again
    Sprayed inside again with scope attached to sprayer - I made sure a huge puddle was under my car before I stopped.
    Put the soaked filters back in the car. Fan has been running on my car for hours trying to dry it all out. lol

I noticed one thing in the video that I did not like. It "looks" like the evaporator is wrapped in foam. As in between the evaporator and drain there is foam. I captured it well in a video that I'll upload to YouTube in a bit. If Tesla really did this there will always be a problem with this car. Hope I am wrong.

VitalOxide is used to disinfect hospitals and food areas but it can be used for HVAC per Eliminate mold on HVAC and Air Ducts
    EPA Registration Number: 82972-1
    DIRECTIONS FOR USE: FOR ANTIMICRIOBIAL CONTROL IN HVAC SYSTEMS AND AIR DUCTS (INCLUDING ODOR CAUSING BACTERIA, MOLD FUNGUS AND ODOR-CAUSING FUNGI)​
    I have not used Chlorine Dioxide before so I cannot wait to see how this ends.

Before I started spraying I noticed this mess from the area between the air intake and filter. Not sure why there is running stuff there unless it is from manufacturing. Here is a picture from the scope camera. The scope camera has a built in light ring.
    IMG_0016.JPG

Here is a picture of the evaporator. Looks fine to me.
    IMG_0015.JPG

• Informative x 2
  13. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

The blower area with stuff running down.. this is before I sprayed anything so I am not sure what is going on.

Evaporator before spraying

Area underneath cabin filters. I assume this is the drain. Is that foam or something else?

Attached camera to sprayer. This was my third round of spraying. This is super shaky even harder to watch than the other videos.

• Informative x 3
  14. akidesir

akidesir Member

#334 akidesir, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  15. asus389

asus389 Member

Yikes, yeah nothing like some wet foam to hold onto moisture and grow mold/bacteria.

16. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Wet with Chlorine Dioxide that after dries continues to kill mold for up to 4 weeks. So I don’t see how that is a problem.

Edit: Oh you mean the foam in the bottom of the video. Yes that sucks. Not sure that is foam... but it looks like it.

17. asus389

asus389 Member

Yeah foam insulation.

18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

What kind of borescope do you have?

19. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

$35 WiFi I use with my last gen 12.9 ipad pro. I used their app for the photos and video. Works better than expected. Makes the old school ones with a built in screen and card slot seem horrible now.

Wireless Endoscope,DEPSTECH Upgrade 5.0MP HD WiFi Borescope, 16 inch Focal Distance, Semi-Rigid Snake Inspection Camera with 2600 mAh Battery for iOS & Android Smart Phone & Tablets-16.5Ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MV6X4M4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rYRyDbXFPFFF4

• Like x 2
  20. Zoglog

Zoglog Member

It's absurd to me that this happened to my car due to their software and now they want me to pay nearly 400 to have it fixed.

Isn't this a potential health issue?

• Like x 2