TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AC odor removal and cleaning

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lanzer, Jun 8, 2019.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Correct. The root problem is smelly stuff growing on the AC evaporator.

2. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

What version is that? I have never seen that on mine. At most the fans run for maybe 30 seconds or so after I exit the car.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I pulled mine out and they were fine even though there is the smell on start up when it sits in the sun. I would clean the evaporator coil before I spent the money on new filters.

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I had the opposite experience with my 2013 classic P85. Stunk to high heaven. Had the service center address it a couple of times to no avail. Finally pulled off the drain line and treated the evaporator coils myself one day. That worked much better. All the classic S loaners I used to get were smelly too, but our AP1 S seems fine. So maybe they changed something when they did the AP update?

• Informative x 1
  5. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

In another thread it was mentioned that a Tesla technician said the filter gets damp because it is right next to the evaporator, causing mold/mildew to grow on the filter.

• Like x 2
  6. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

It waits for a while after you park, then turns the cabin fan on low for about 20 minutes. You have to be very close to the base of the windshield to hear it - sounds similar to cabin overheat protection without A/C.

My car did this on 2019.12 and still does it on 2019.16

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Cabin filters should be replaced regularly. They're inexpensive and not too difficult to do. This is particularly important in very humid regions.

8. SigNC

SigNC Member

Success?

9. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Hm, interesting. I never noticed this even in my quiet garage.
    Yes, absolutely. I think with the Model 3 it is best to both clean the evaporator and change the filters regularly.

• Like x 1
  10. Kevinnewwin

Kevinnewwin New Member

Does anyone know where to get the filters? I went to my SC and they said they don't sell it.

• Like x 1
  11. SigNC

SigNC Member

I was wondering the same thing. I tried to call my SC......but well........you know how that goes.

12. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

I just walked into the Santa Clara service center and they had a small number in stock. One pair of filters costs $34.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. David99

David99 Active Member

That's odd. They have been selling the small filters (pre bio-defence update) for the Model S for years.

14. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

No. I think I applied the first can wrong (didnt shake well and also didnt shake can while applying) and so smell has returned. Have 2 cans of Klima clean now, but need to find time to get back in there. Going to spray both cans and make sure it is good and coated.

• Like x 1
  15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Not in my case though. My filters are/were dry and have no smell even though we are getting the "smell"

16. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Most of the reviews for the coil cleaners say that it usually take more than one can to get the smell knocked out.

17. KenR

KenR Member

Maybe best to pay the $159.. .The SC emailed me back and said...

The price you were quoted not only consisted of the 2 cabin filters necessary and the installation, but also an A/C system cleansing procedure that goes hand in hand with the odor elimination. If you’d like to only purchase the cabin filters, they are $34 for 2, as the Model 3 has 2.

Then if it smells after a week at least you can go back and have them redo on their dime if they don't do it right...

18. SJC3

SJC3 Member

I have a problem with Tesla passing the buck to us. I have to think way back to the 80s when I experienced this kind of stinky HVAC issue. Clearly there is a design issue, that has been remedied with a software solution going forward. How does the customer end up getting charged for this?

• Love x 2
  19. RScottyL

RScottyL Member

Exactly!

Another thing is to make sure recirculate is off, otherwise it just traps moisture in the car when you turn it off.

Have you ever noticed how much hotter and humid the car is if you leave recirc on?

• Like x 1
  20. m3supra

m3supra Member

Yep, I never run recirculate on anymore unless defogging the windshield in any of my vehicles. BMWs have this issue frequently because the "Max" button automatically turns recirculate on and owners forget to turn it off, leaving the car to sit with all the moisture trapped next to a hot engine.