Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I wasted a morning going to the SC. I made an appointment about this and they told me to come in. The man said there is no firmware update at this time. All they would offer was to change both Air Filters at a cost of $159. I guess I need to go by a Torx wrench and do it myself. And why didn't I buy the dang filters from them before I left?? grrrrr .....
I pulled mine out and they were fine even though there is the smell on start up when it sits in the sun. I would clean the evaporator coil before I spent the money on new filters.

I'm surprised that Tesla isn't letting the fan run after the AC is turned off. That should definitely help getting the moisture out of the entire system and prevent mold from building up. I always used to do that manually with my on ICE cars. But then the Model S also just stops the AC and fan and in 5 years I never had any issues with smell at all. I figured Tesla must have found a way to prevent mold issues in some other way.

I had the opposite experience with my 2013 classic P85. Stunk to high heaven. Had the service center address it a couple of times to no avail. Finally pulled off the drain line and treated the evaporator coils myself one day. That worked much better. All the classic S loaners I used to get were smelly too, but our AP1 S seems fine. So maybe they changed something when they did the AP update?

• Informative
Reactions: David99
What version is that? I have never seen that on mine. At most the fans run for maybe 30 seconds or so after I exit the car.

It waits for a while after you park, then turns the cabin fan on low for about 20 minutes. You have to be very close to the base of the windshield to hear it - sounds similar to cabin overheat protection without A/C.

My car did this on 2019.12 and still does it on 2019.16

• Informative
Reactions: SJC3 and David99
Did mine today with 1 can of Klima cleaner. I did not make a nifty application device, just went to town spraying with the applicator. Possible it will need a 2nd can just to get better coverage, but we will see. Only hard part was getting the climate to stay on HI fan for 1 minute after waiting the 20 minute “soak” period. Car kept turning off the fan when I closed the door even with climate set to stay on. Had to sit in the seat to keep it on at max fan. Car too smart for its own good, LOL.

I didn’t replace my cabin filters, although I probably should have. Tesla did them not too long ago, next time I am down there I will buy some replacements. Wish we could order them online. I used to change my S one way more frequently because of the desert dust here.

Success?

It waits for a while after you park, then turns the cabin fan on low for about 20 minutes. You have to be very close to the base of the windshield to hear it - sounds similar to cabin overheat protection without A/C.

My car did this on 2019.12 and still does it on 2019.16
Hm, interesting. I never noticed this even in my quiet garage.
Cabin filters should be replaced regularly. They're inexpensive and not too difficult to do.
Yes, absolutely. I think with the Model 3 it is best to both clean the evaporator and change the filters regularly.

Reactions: Big Earl
No. I think I applied the first can wrong (didnt shake well and also didnt shake can while applying) and so smell has returned. Have 2 cans of Klima clean now, but need to find time to get back in there. Going to spray both cans and make sure it is good and coated.
Most of the reviews for the coil cleaners say that it usually take more than one can to get the smell knocked out.

Maybe best to pay the $159.. .The SC emailed me back and said...

The price you were quoted not only consisted of the 2 cabin filters necessary and the installation, but also an A/C system cleansing procedure that goes hand in hand with the odor elimination. If you’d like to only purchase the cabin filters, they are $34 for 2, as the Model 3 has 2.

Then if it smells after a week at least you can go back and have them redo on their dime if they don't do it right...

I have a problem with Tesla passing the buck to us. I have to think way back to the 80s when I experienced this kind of stinky HVAC issue. Clearly there is a design issue, that has been remedied with a software solution going forward. How does the customer end up getting charged for this?

• Love
Reactions: model3fan and SigNC
Nice!! I've and this issue on my previous cars and learned to run the air with AC off a mile from home. Great to have this as reference in the future.

Some other thread indicate the software now runs the fans for awhile after parking to dry the condenser but I haven't tested it.

Exactly!

Another thing is to make sure recirculate is off, otherwise it just traps moisture in the car when you turn it off.

Have you ever noticed how much hotter and humid the car is if you leave recirc on?

Reactions: zyzz
Exactly!

Another thing is to make sure recirculate is off, otherwise it just traps moisture in the car when you turn it off.

Have you ever noticed how much hotter and humid the car is if you leave recirc on?

Yep, I never run recirculate on anymore unless defogging the windshield in any of my vehicles. BMWs have this issue frequently because the "Max" button automatically turns recirculate on and owners forget to turn it off, leaving the car to sit with all the moisture trapped next to a hot engine.