Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, my local service center has not heard of this as a known issue. Given the relatively low cost and the fact that I wanted new filters anyway to be sure the whole system was clean, I just went for it. You can bet I'll be pushing back if it comes around again soon.

Reactions: Aellinsar and SJC3
Well, I am sad to report that two full bottles of Klima were not sufficient for my system. I still need to replace my cabin filter once parts arrive, although they did not have any odor when I removed them for the cleaning.

Smell is better, but still there, so I know it will just get worse. Ah well. My heater smells in the winter too (and not just normal heater first time being on smell).

Sadly this is a reason I have sold cars in the past, so we will see how long the 3 lasts. Our AP1 S doesn't have this issue and is treated the same (always on Auto and garage and desert parking lot kept), so it is a design flaw in my opinion.

Well, I am sad to report that two full bottles of Klima were not sufficient for my system. I still need to replace my cabin filter once parts arrive, although they did not have any odor when I removed them for the cleaning.

Smell is better, but still there, so I know it will just get worse. Ah well. My heater smells in the winter too (and not just normal heater first time being on smell).

Sadly this is a reason I have sold cars in the past, so we will see how long the 3 lasts. Our AP1 S doesn't have this issue and is treated the same (always on Auto and garage and desert parking lot kept), so it is a design flaw in my opinion.
Said it before, will say it again, I agree this is a design flaw that customers should not be paying to fix.

@Eno Deb Tell us in a month if this works. Then 2 months. I can live with doing this every 6 months. Any more intervals is too much work.
Yeah, I will report back if the smell returns. So far it hasn't. :)

From what I could tell one can of Klima Cleaner was enough. I didn't "macguyver" an applicator like the OP, but simply filled the cavity, starting with the tip of the applicator tube at the bottom and then pulling it out as I emptied the can. There was so much foam that it came out the opening. I checked with an inspection mirror that the evaporator was well covered.

Ugh. Two cans of Klima and there is still a problem? What is Tesla doing when they clean the evaporator as part of a service call?

Last edited:
Ugh. Two cans of Klima and there is still a problem? What is Tesla doing when they clean the evaporator as part of a service call?

Mine is probably particularly stubborn. It started shortly after getting the car in Jan 2018. So long standing issue. I have had the service center do the prior odor treatment twice and they changed the cabin filter once and the smell was always back a week later. I will try again when I replace my air filters.

Model 3 LR RWD reporting in. Nov 2018 build. Purchased in January 2019. First noticed the odor (vinegar, feet, whatever you want to call it) around end of april. Didn't think much of it, but now its July and I can't use my AC without gagging from the smell.

I had cabin overheat w/AC enabled and first noticed the smell after a rainy warm week. I have since changed overheat protection to fan only, but the smell is only getting worse.

Booked a Milford, CT service center appointment for 7/15. I was told the service center will determine if its covered under warranty. I'm going to push back if they try charging me for cleaning. I don't mind paying for air filters, but labor should be on them. I had the car for 4 months and it smells worse than my 24 year old Integra. That's just unacceptable for any car let alone a Tesla.

I'll let you all know how i make out.

Reactions: mchawk
I had the same issue with my very first car, a 1979 Honda Accord. The fix involved 1) Spraying Lysol disinectant spray into the air vents prior to turning on the HVAC system 2) Turning on the HVAC system to circulate the Lyol and keep running for several minutes so that the Lysol is completely distributed and dried out 3) As others have suggested, after driving with the AC on and a mile or two prior to your destination, turn off the AC so that just the fan is blowing fresh air throughout the system. By turning off the AC and running the fan for a few minutes prior to exiting the car, you dry out any condensation that formed and was most likely a major contributing factor to the formation of the mildew/mold to begin with.

that is what i do. mouldkiller or dettol usually.

Mine is probably particularly stubborn. It started shortly after getting the car in Jan 2018. So long standing issue. I have had the service center do the prior odor treatment twice and they changed the cabin filter once and the smell was always back a week later. I will try again when I replace my air filters.

From my experience with other cars with the problem, if it isn't fixed quickly the mold seems to spread past the condenser and into all the nooks and crannies of the HVAC system. You could try other methods such an ozone machine or fogging with recirculation on, but it's very hard to get rid of.