Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone has the fogging procedure performed by tesla please post an update. What exactly do they use? Does it leave an after smell or is there no noticeable smell at after fogging? Curious if the fogging actually kills the microbes and removes odor or just masks the smell

thanks.

It's now been a couple of weeks since I had Tesla fog my system and replace the filters. Still smells squeaky clean here. And in the interim, we took an 1800-mile road trip that featured 100+F temps and lots of start/stop over short distances. Not ideal conditions for HVAC.

So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: asus389
My AC smells like BO. I thought it was from the people that installed the front windshield tint and they just left BO. Now I’m thinking water trickled down from the install and now mold built up? I imagine it would not have happened by the following day. Anyone else get front window tint and notice a smell from hvac?

I’ve had my 3 for almost a year now. I just noticed this familiar door once ever so slightly the other day.
I’m familiar with it, because my BMW has the exact same odour, that started fairly early on as well. I just lived with it in the BMW, because the dealer wouldn’t take care of it under warranty, and to be honest, it’s an initial odour that goes away after a few minutes.
In any case, I plan to clean it on my 3 sometime soon.

Thanks for the posts on this topic all.

On my GM vehicles with this problem GM would reprogram the HVAC system to run the fan for a few minutes after shutdown to dry out the ducts. I had it bad in my Corvette's and after the re-programing it stopped completely.

It should be an easy OTA update for Tesla.

F83AD19E-1BDB-4F7B-9682-BBBE41BD5F21.jpeg
AC6B4D3C-E5E2-44CA-B511-2B94FE6206F8.jpeg

I’ve been lazy to post these but here’s how I did it. Notice how the phone is wedged in to be somewhat of a scope. I also attached a stick to the end of the tube it was easier to maneuver the tip otherwise the tube would just curl and not hit the spots I wanted.

the foam I used was just the one they had at the auto store.

A96CB213-9390-4294-AE0F-92338C27F1CF.jpeg

Take a pic of the can. And a receipt. I was told $180 for AC Cleaning and Filter Replacement by SC

Had mobile service replace the filters and perform the evaporator cleaning. Seemed like an easy enough process, but below is a basic outline of the steps taken after accessing the area where the filters live, a picture of the cleaner used, and service receipt.
  1. Spray the entire can of kool-it across the evaporator coil (it was somewhat difficult to see, but if you spray the left side of the filter compartment/side closest to the rear of the vehicle you’ll hit the coil.
  2. Let kool-it sit for ~15-20 mins.
  3. Run climate on maximum speed and low temperature without air recirculation turned on.
  4. Water should start pooling under your car due to the air conditioning running. Let it continue to pool for about 10 minutes longer to flush out the kool-it and you’ll be set.
Fingers crossed this is the first and only time I’ll have to have this service performed. On the plus side, apparently service is mandated to swap out charging pins and check/correct warped latches for the front trunk; my front trunk latch has been fine, but the service tech said some people/certain vins have been having issues getting the trunk to open, so it’s now a mandatory check when any service is performed. The tech couldn’t say why the charging pins where updated (looked a little fatter), but assumed it might be for new super chargers.

FA0F1F8D-9D87-450E-BDCB-F1BCEE1D2978.jpeg 3471408B-A055-4302-AE26-8E94757F066A.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and Az_Rael
Had mobile service replace the filters and perform the evaporator cleaning.
View attachment 433473 View attachment 433474

Any tips on how to get mobile service to come out for this? I've had the SC try to fix this twice already in the past unsuccessfully, and I now live over an hour from the closest SC. I don't see anything in the app about mobile service, but now that they have a valid procedure, I want them to come out to fix mine, if possible.

Any tips on how to get mobile service to come out for this? I've had the SC try to fix this twice already in the past unsuccessfully, and I now live over an hour from the closest SC. I don't see anything in the app about mobile service, but now that they have a valid procedure, I want them to come out to fix mine, if possible.

So what exactly did your service center do on both occasions?

So what exactly did your service center do on both occasions?

The first time back in May, they drained and refilled the AC (why, I have no idea). The second time they just changed the filter and said the firmware update would fix it. It got better for a couple weeks, but is back again. It would appear now they have a process defined for fixing this, which they didn't have both times when I went in.

Interesting. I told them about my ac issue (only smells after driving for awhile, parking, then getting back into car and lasts for a minute) and they quoted me just for the filter replacement.

I'm wondering if I should request a coil cleaner as well and am wondering why they think just replacing the filter is enough? Maybe because my issue is minor? I would hate to have to buy 2 more filters weeks later if just replacing them doesn't work.

Best tip would be to move somewhere far away from a service center. I am 5 hours away from the closest one, so most everything is done via mobile tech. In all seriousness though, I’m surprised they aren’t pushing mobile tech service for minor repairs like this across the country. Seems silly to have to visit a service center for such a minor cleaning/replacement.

You could also just buy the cleaning solution pictured above and do it yourself. I paid almost $100 in labor so that I could see the process and have my spoiler delivered, but after seeing how easy of a job it was I won’t be paying Tesla for the service again.

Fingers crossed this is the first and only time I’ll have to have this service performed. On the plus side, apparently service is mandated to swap out charging pins and check/correct warped latches for the front trunk; my front trunk latch has been fine, but the service tech said some people/certain vins have been having issues getting the trunk to open, so it’s now a mandatory check when any service is performed. The tech couldn’t say why the charging pins where updated (looked a little fatter), but assumed it might be for new super chargers.

In regards to the charging pins I've seen multiple Tesla chargers with broken handles due to charging pins stuck within the handle.....