Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered 2 cabin air filters from my local service center and ordered “Kilma-Cleaner AC Cleaner” from amazon. Happy to report my AC no longer smells like a dead rat wrapped in a sweaty gym sock.

Here are some more pics of the evaporator and area where the cabin air filters fit:

Attachments

• DB5EDCE0-D259-4D0C-8232-A9C0DF6EC5CE.jpeg
    DB5EDCE0-D259-4D0C-8232-A9C0DF6EC5CE.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 297
  • F6A32C63-CDC6-4BCB-9A86-43A6FAA72FC6.jpeg
    F6A32C63-CDC6-4BCB-9A86-43A6FAA72FC6.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 15FD9122-F9CF-4641-A046-6283F1F78893.jpeg
    15FD9122-F9CF-4641-A046-6283F1F78893.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 274
  • 2B1287F2-0FF4-4408-A5C8-AE51D9A781A3.jpeg
    2B1287F2-0FF4-4408-A5C8-AE51D9A781A3.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 0B0037FE-4E6C-48E2-977F-62653A295E90.jpeg
    0B0037FE-4E6C-48E2-977F-62653A295E90.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 278
So it looks like the air filters are two stacked on top of each other. Does that mean that there is a gap along the middle where the two sides meet where contaminants can get past and into the evaporator? Usually cars have a single larger filter that seals around the edges.

Also, the filters look very close to the evaporator. Most cars have their filters sitting up towards the glove box or cowl, not as close to the evaporator. Maybe this could explain why the filter may receive more moisture from the AC condensation and start to smell?

So it looks like the air filters are two stacked on top of each other. Does that mean that there is a gap along the middle where the two sides meet where contaminants can get past and into the evaporator? Usually cars have a single larger filter that seals around the edges.

Also, the filters look very close to the evaporator. Most cars have their filters sitting up towards the glove box or cowl, not as close to the evaporator. Maybe this could explain why the filter may receive more moisture from the AC condensation and start to smell?
I presume the filters are small so they'll go in and out of the limited space available at the opening.

I agree with your second paragraph, and would add the exacerbating factors of:
  • Auto A/C seems nearly always to run with Recirc ON (at least in my experience).
  • Before a recent software update, the fan would quit when the car was turned off.
All of that adds up to excessive moisture retained near the filters, and so: funk.

Reactions: Aellinsar
They sit right on top of each other and the frame is made of a felt-like material. The seal between the filters is probably as good as that against the car's filter box on the other sides.
Yes, I suspect this is one factor that makes the Model 3 apparently very susceptible to mold/mildew buildup.

Reactions: Common_Loon
And next time? They're not going to do it forever. Sounds like Elon needs to come up with a real "fix".
They probably consider the recently introduced software solution (where the fans come on after you park the car to dry the evaporator and filter) the fix. They may of course change the design in the future as well (e.g. by moving the filters further away from the evaporators), but I doubt they'll offer any hardware fixes to the existing cars.

Reactions: Dr. J
They probably consider the recently introduced software solution (where the fans come on after you park the car to dry the evaporator and filter) the fix. They may of course change the design in the future as well (e.g. by moving the filters further away from the evaporators), but I doubt they'll offer any hardware fixes to the existing cars.

Cool (no pun intended). You should see the filer in an "X", it behind the frunk liner and seems a foot by three feet. It's house hvac size

Tesla me demandant de participer, allons:
Cette odeur est commune sur la climatisation des voitures.
La différence chez Tesla est que la climatisation (l’intérieur) est également chaude. Dans une voiture thermique, c’est l’eau qui refroidit le moteur qui a rempli cet endroit. Nous avons ici une pompe à chaleur réversible. C’est un petit organe qui un tiroir qui détermine le mode dans lequel nous sommes (la vanne à 4 voies).
Lorsque le froid est nécessaire, l'échangeur de chaleur intérieur est l'évaporateur.
(Dans le post, vous dites le condensateur). Le réfrigérant passe à travers un trou qui varie (expandeur électronique, étape par étape) est pulvérisé et au contact de l'air chaud, bout et s'évapore.
Par thermodynamique, l’évaporateur produit du froid. L’air chaud qui passe sur les ailettes est emprisonné dans son humidité. De l’eau se forme, et l’air contenant des bactéries et des spores se développe en libérant les odeurs.
Comme suggéré par un conducteur, si quelques kms s’arrêtent en sens inverse, inversez la pompe à chaleur du climatiseur, l’humidité disparaîtra et les bactéries et les spores ne pourront plus se reproduire.Il restera en quantité normale.Il ne sentira pas.

Tesla asking me to participate, let's go:
This smell is common on car air conditioning.
The difference in Tesla is that the air conditioning (the interior) is also hot.In a thermal car, it is the water that cools the engine that filled this spot.We have here a reversible heat pump It is a small organ that slides like a drawer that determines what mode we are in (the 4-way valve).
When cold is required, the indoor heat exchanger is the evaporator.
(In the post you say the condenser). The refrigerant passes through a hole that varies (electronic expander, step by step) is sprayed and on contact with the hot air, boils and evaporates.
By thermodynamics, the evaporator produces cold. The hot air passing on the fins is trapped its moisture.Thus water is formed, and the air containing bacteria and spores, they develop releasing the smells.
As suggested by a driver, if a few kms before you stop you reverse the air conditioning heat pump, moisture disappears and bacteria and spores can not reproduce.Il will be a normal amount.Il will not smell.

Before taking your interior all apart, try this solution that worked for me (as suggested in another thread): Run the heater and fan on HI for 25 minutes. Let it cool and use as normal.

I did it in my garage one morning while showering via the app. I just cranked it up to HI and didn't worry about the fan speed. It has been odor free now for a few days.