Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was forced to have this service done. Stunk for months. They charged me $150

My vehicle is just over a year old with 18K miles. Did I get hosed? What's the angle to have gotten it covered under warranty?

I don't see how this isn't being handled as a design problem that should be covered under warranty. It seams to only be happening to 3s, and they revealed they made a software update to prevent it in the future.

If Tesla isn't replacing MCU screens that turn yellow in sunlight on 6 month old Model Xs under warranty, there is no way they are admitting to this issue under warranty. Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

It isnt right, but it is the new Tesla, apparently. They appear to be gambling that it is cheaper to manage thses type of items via arbitration vs actually doing the warranty work.

Dont even get me started on the battery capping happening for older cars, where Tesla is also potentially not honoring the 8 year battery warranty. Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This is all going to bite them in the end.

This worked for me. No changing filter, no chemical.

cranked the car's heat to HI from the app, left for 25-30 minutes. Let cool down normally.

Smell gone.

doing a second treatment today to confirm, but its free and you can do it at the comfort of your seat.

Before taking your interior all apart, try this solution that worked for me (as suggested in another thread): Run the heater and fan on HI for 25 minutes. Let it cool and use as normal.

I did it in my garage one morning while showering via the app. I just cranked it up to HI and didn't worry about the fan speed. It has been odor free now for a few days.

This worked for me. No changing filter, no chemical.

cranked the car's heat to HI from the app, left for 25-30 minutes. Let cool down normally.

Smell gone.

doing a second treatment today to confirm, but its free and you can do it at the comfort of your seat.

The high heat kills the germs that make the smells. It will come back again.

Another note, this does happen with other cars. My experience with Toyotas were the same. Rule of thumb is if you use the AC, try to turn it off maybe 5-10 mins before your destination and let the air still run to dry out the humidity so it does not stink later.

Reactions: M109Rider
Another note, this does happen with other cars. My experience with Toyotas were the same. Rule of thumb is if you use the AC, try to turn it off maybe 5-10 mins before your destination and let the air still run to dry out the humidity so it does not stink later.

I have heard this advice a ton over the years, and I refuse to accept that as a reasonable workaround. When it is 110 outside even 5 minutes in the car with no AC at the end of the drive is an absolute miserable experience. Besides, in super hot weather the car turns the AC on to cool the battery no matter what user setting I have chosen. (I believe the owners manual talks to that) So no matter what I do to try and prevent AC smells, the thermal management algorithm is going to override and turn the AC on even while parked. (which might actually be worse now that I think about it, since it isn't running that air thru the cabin vents, but there is still only one AC compressor, so that moisture must just be pooling somewhere in the system.)

I have owned cars that never stank (including a Camry) and cars that did ( Model S, ugh). I never changed any of my AC usage habits, some manufacturers are just better at HVAC design than others.

I think I am going to order an ozone unit and attempt that.

I initially thought this was a dumb product, but I ended up buying the AC intake filter just so random leaves and crap can't fall in the long deep tunnel with no way for me to grab it easily. I wonder how many of the bad smells is from stuff falling in and rotting. Anyway, for $20 it was not a big ticket item to try.

signal-attach6ment.jpeg

I initially thought this was a dumb product, but I ended up buying the AC intake filter just so random leaves and crap can't fall in the long deep tunnel with no way for me to grab it easily. I wonder how many of the bad smells is from stuff falling in and rotting. Anyway, for $20 it was not a big ticket item to try.
This looks like it will reduce airflow significantly though. Would be better if it was a wire mesh.

Reactions: Common_Loon