Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC on while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I sure would. Or perhaps even talk to them before that visit. With the complexity of the battery management system, I'd expect there would at least be an error code appear or a failsafe reduction in charging power if the cooling was called but not responding. Definitely don't want to cook the batteries.

The previous problem of low regen is also interesting and I half wonder if there is a connection. But the correction after the contactor replacement would seem to suggest 'no'.

Still seems odd though. Have you looked at the charge rate in the other cars that are blowing and perhaps noted their battery version?

I just shot a note off to Service.

My gut says it probably has something to do with the fact that I have a 90 kW limited A-pack battery. I think most of the other cars I've seen, and other owners I've talked to, have newer cars. Even a few owners who got cars before me came with B or later packs. Mine was a bit of an anomaly coming in March 2013 with an A-pack.

I just shot a note off to Service.

My gut says it probably has something to do with the fact that I have a 90 kW limited A-pack battery. I think most of the other cars I've seen, and other owners I've talked to, have newer cars. Even a few owners who got cars before me came with B or later packs. Mine was a bit of an anomaly coming in March 2013 with an A-pack.

I have a 90 kW limited, A pack in my Signature. I have certainly heard the HVAC scream at Superchargers after driving and then charging at near 90 kW in over 90˚ F, over 32˚ C weather.

Well, okay then. I might have a problem. I wonder if this is why I saw a drop in my Range numbers after my recent Chicago road trip consisting of all silent Supercharging?
Yikes! If so, it might mean you'll get to enjoy a newer pack courtesy of Tesla. And would certainly be reason for them to ponder the cause and how to ensure it gets flagged right away by future firmware releases.

I received an error while supercharging that stated the cabin HVAC would not be as effective as the cooling system was currently prioritized to the charging system. So it looks like 2kw does make a difference in that the cooling system can only dissipate so much heat at one time. It should be noted that the ambient temp was in the mid to high 90's.
That is a little different. What that is saying is that the batteries are hot and need cooling, some of the ac is being sent to the batteries, so the cabin may not be as cool as desired.
The 2kw isn't the issue, it the total amount of cooling that the ac can provide

Reactions: AtAge19
On road trip SuperCharge, I stay connected with HVAC running for a few minutes after charge stops. Use shore power instead of battery power to get car and battery temperature right.

Reduces the high power consumption when starting the next lap.

If there’s a car waiting, I disconnect and leave as soon as charge is done.

On road trip SuperCharge, I stay connected with HVAC running for a few minutes after charge stops. Use shore power instead of battery power to get car and battery temperature right.

Reduces the high power consumption when starting the next lap.

If there’s a car waiting, I disconnect and leave as soon as charge is done.
I am curious if Tesla counts that this against you, as in "you stayed there after finished charging, and more than 1/2 the spots were occupied" bit. Does the clock start ticking when the power no longer flows, or when your battery has reached the set limit?

On road trip SuperCharge, I stay connected with HVAC running for a few minutes after charge stops. Use shore power instead of battery power to get car and battery temperature right..
I don't believe that applies to Supercharging because preconditioning is tied to the on-board chargers, not the direct charging system (AFAIK). But why not just leave the A/C on while charging? Easiest way is to use the App to turn it on (Assumes you are not in the car).

I don't believe that applies to Supercharging because preconditioning is tied to the on-board chargers, not the direct charging system (AFAIK). But why not just leave the A/C on while charging? Easiest way is to use the App to turn it on (Assumes you are not in the car).

on a hot day, this lowers the charging rate. If the HVAC has to be diverted to cool the cabin, the battery has to charge slower to avoid overheating. there is a finite amount of cooling capability the car has.

on a hot day, this lowers the charging rate. If the HVAC has to be diverted to cool the cabin, the battery has to charge slower to avoid overheating. there is a finite amount of cooling capability the car has.
Must have to be quite hot for that to happen as I've never noticed any significant lowering of charging speed.

In my experience, this does not use power from the Supercharger similar to how it WILL use power from a L2 station if you do this. I have left my car at Superchargers with both the Heat and Cool (depending on season) on and once the car stops Supercharging, the HVAC is powered straight from the battery just as if it was disconnected. If it sits there long enough, the battery will drop a percent or two before I got back.