Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Only Blows Cold Air While Car is Moving 2012 Sig MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I am having issues with my 2012 Signature MS.
It is only blowing cold air while the car is moving. When it is stopped, it starts to blow warm air.
This is always the case when it it warmer outside, but in the mornings, when it is cooler I get cold air.

I went to Tesla to have the issue diagnosed and they said there was a problem with my compressor, which got fixed and a brand new one was put in.
This still did not fix my issue. They are saying that something is keeping my compressor fans from turning on, but they cant seem to find out why.

Here is the caveat, this car has a radar installed, and had Mobileye installed as well but it is no longer functioning, yet the wiring is still present.
Tesla said they ran diagnostics for 10 hours and believe these two things could be affecting how my AC functions.
So, in order for them to continue, I will need to remove my radar and mobile eye.

I've called the shop that originally installed the mobileye and radar, as well as several other shops that can install this, and they tell me this should not affect the AC at all.
Mind that these 2 things have been installed since 2012 with no prior issues.

Has anyone had this issue happen with their car in general or know what is going on?
I feel like I can't get around with fixing the problem without taking both the mobileye and radar out and following what Tesla tells me to do.

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

It sounds like either the compressor fan isn't working or the thermostat that drives it.

Radar and mobile eye interfering... well it sounds like nonsense.

This is something that a normal garage might be able to handle. See if you can drive the fan directly with a 12v source. If that works then it's the thermostat.

Reactions: AMPd
It sounds like either the compressor fan isn't working or the thermostat that drives it.

Radar and mobile eye interfering... well it sounds like nonsense.

This is something that a normal garage might be able to handle. See if you can drive the fan directly with a 12v source. If that works then it's the thermostat.
Sounds good, I’ll look into that and try it out.

Really appreciate the help!

Here’s one thread

This sounds like the DCDC converter issue that many 2012/13 cars have. There are threads on it. Possibly, the third party accessories could be pulling DC current and the DCDC is not working at full capacity
Thanks for the info Dave! I’ll definitely look into this.
I seen in another thread that you mentioned it was a $3-4k fix. I’ll be looking into 3rd party fixes if that is what it ends up being

Hi, did you manage to find out the fault?
My car has started to do the same, only cold air when moving and I hear noises from the ac condenser sometimes even a few clanging noises specially noticeable when charging.
Thanks