Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Propulsion eBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: AC Propulsion sold their first eBox to a customer

Ugh.. A 70K scion.. I couldn't make myself do it :) I'm willing to bet the tesla sedan will out sell the eBox 100 fold.

Phyte

Re: AutoWeek tests the eBox

vfx said:
Yeah but the reviewers eviscerate the article for it's shoddy journalism.

Mostly for their comments about the EV1 -- and even I caught it where they described the original EV1 with the defective Delco batteries. That's not a good basis for comparison.

Still. Even if you compare the NiMH-equipped EV1 with the eBox, the eBox has somewhat greater range and far greater utility -- in terms of passenger and cargo space. Put the same drivetrain into an aerodynamic body, rather than one shaped like a shoebox, and I could imagine it getting 200 miles range on the highway. The improvement of technology beyond that of the EV1 is clear enough.

Only 20 eBoxes by midyear? It'd be quicker for people to convert their own EVs... I suppose this is a niche market? Why don't they take this technology and sell it to Toyota or GM?

DDB said:
Why don't they take this technology and sell it to Toyota or GM?
Large, technologically-sophisticated companies have a pretty big "Not Invented Here" factor.  Often, there are plenty of good reasons for this approach.

Some large company might (possibly) buy an eBox and tear it down, just to have a look see.  But, what good would it do a huge car company to purchase manufacturing rights if they had to re-engineer and re-tool every component from scratch to make their version of such a vehicle cost competitive?  There are very few new ideas for electric cars since the Baker electrics of a hundred years ago, and purchasing rights to the eBox might not expand their pool of knowledge.

If the eBox contains any new, good, novel ideas, patent rights would be available for license instead of needing to purchase the whole shebang.

GM certainly isn't interested in buying the eBox technology, since they already had (or have) it.  The eBox's drivetrain is merely a refinement of the EV1 drivetrain with an upgrade to li-ion batteries.  The thing you've got to realize about GM, and I think this applies to a number of other big car companies, is the lessons they learned from the ZEV Mandate:

1. People won't pay more for a car unless they can recover the costs (from fuel savings) within a couple of years.

2. People won't buy a car that can't go 300 miles between fueling.  That's the minimum requirement.

3. People won't buy a car that can't refuel in five minutes at widely available stations.

The eBox fails on all three counts, therefore GM and most other car companies have no interest in it.  If they are aware of the eBox at all, they are laughing at it, and they are laughing at anybody who thinks there's any market demand for it.

I think they learned all the wrong lessons from the ZEV Mandate experience, and the last laugh will be on them -- but for now their thinking is basically unchanged on this subject.

Some good stuff in here:

EV WORLD: AC Propulsion – The Quiet Revolutionaries

For the record:
Q: How would you describe the technological and conceptual relationship between the ACP tzero and the Tesla Roadster?

A: In late 2002, Martin Eberhard had come to ACP to buy a tzero. This was during the time we were developing the Li Ion battery for the tzero. In fact he paid us a deposit on a tzero and actually invested some money in ACP, and those funds helped pay for the tzero Li Ion development and prototype. When that car 1) drove from LA to SF to compete in the 2003 Michelin Challenge Bibendum, 2) earned the best score in the Challenge competing against major automakers, and 3) achieved 300 mile range on one leg of the return trip to LA, it validated the Li Ion concept for ACP and increased Martin's determination to own a tzero. When we told him that the tzero was too difficult to build and we would not build any more, he was disappointed but undaunted. He and Marc Tarpenning founded Tesla and in short order recruited Ian Wright to join them.

During this phase, ACP loaned the tzero to Tesla for further evaluation and study, and for three months it was subjected to "test drives," in untold number and severity, from Tesla's first office in Menlo Park up the mountain to Skyline Boulevard where both Martin and Ian lived. The tzero was never quite the same after this ordeal, but it had confirmed the viability in the Tesla founders’ minds, of what they were about to undertake.

With their first funding they came to ACP and we negotiated a license agreement under which we transferred our drive system technology to Tesla. Based on this they designed the drive system that went in the first Tesla Roadsters. The performance of that car (and the fees and royalty payments we have received from Tesla) are a source of great satisfaction to ACP.

Last edited:
Martin is too smart to re-invent the wheel. He seems to have a knack for pulling things off the shelf to make something new.

AC Propulsion is more interested in licensing than manufacture.

Perhaps it's a bit like Glenn Curtis vs the Wright brothers.

Last edited: