Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is at the Service Center getting it's annual service but there were a few other things they are looking into. One of the issues is with the AC so I wanted to see if anyone else had an similar experience.

At times this summer the AC fan speed just randomly pulses. It slows then speeds up again several times in a row. It is not all the time but it is pretty noticeable when it is happening. Now living in Las Vegas and having a hotter than usual summer might have something to do with it. perhaps there are other fans cutting on that are causing this drop in fan speed. But I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has had this experience.

When I called the SC to make an appointment he told me of a feature i didn't know existed. Apparently if your car is doing something strange you can tap the voice button and say something like "record bug" and it records what is going on in the vehicle systems at the time. The service center can then see what was happening at the time it was happening. that was pretty cool... Has anyone used this "feature"

Hoping to get the car back by Friday... will circle back with what I learn

thanks all

Reactions: 365gtb4
so i get the car back from the service center and the mystery remains a mystery. Based on a date and time I gave them they were able to see the fan speed fluctuation (i think they said error code) but they did admit that there were several occurrences. However they said that they have no explanation as to why and they cleared out the codes and "reset" the AC software. (Something to that effect) and they believe that this has solved the problem. seems a little mysterious to me... but time will tell. wish i had more to report on this... However the report bug thing is kinda cool.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
update... so Tesla had my car for 6 days... Thursday - Wednesday to be somewhat fair they also had to replace a recently malfunctioning drivers side door handle... it presented fine but you had to pull twice to open it...

the service records say that they are attributing the fan speed fluctuations on a faulty wiring connection

"Diagnosed vehicle and found poor pin fit at multiple connections. A/C compressor was not operating due to not having a signal from the discharge sensor. Corrections: Harness - Body - Lower Dash - Repair"

seems odd to me that this is the problem since it was happening intermittently and when i was both driving along and completely stopped. I haven.t driven the car since I got back in town so we shall see....

When I called the SC to make an appointment he told me of a feature i didn't know existed. Apparently if your car is doing something strange you can tap the voice button and say something like "record bug" and it records what is going on in the vehicle systems at the time. The service center can then see what was happening at the time it was happening. that was pretty cool... Has anyone used this "feature"

Yes, but do not assume they look at all recorded bugs. I believe they only look at them "on demand". That is, if you have a service request open.

Yes, but do not assume they look at all recorded bugs. I believe they only look at them "on demand". That is, if you have a service request open.
I have an intermittent problem with the air suspension throwing a warning light on the screen. Had it into service once and they couldn't find anything. Now it's happening more frequently and I'm recording a "Note" when I notice it. Hopefully this will help them find the problem.

I have an intermittent problem with the air suspension throwing a warning light on the screen. Had it into service once and they couldn't find anything. Now it's happening more frequently and I'm recording a "Note" when I notice it. Hopefully this will help them find the problem.
Yes. Keep a list of when you reported them and occasionally follow up with them. I think they can lookup by car.

update... so Tesla had my car for 6 days... Thursday - Wednesday to be somewhat fair they also had to replace a recently malfunctioning drivers side door handle... it presented fine but you had to pull twice to open it...

the service records say that they are attributing the fan speed fluctuations on a faulty wiring connection

"Diagnosed vehicle and found poor pin fit at multiple connections. A/C compressor was not operating due to not having a signal from the discharge sensor. Corrections: Harness - Body - Lower Dash - Repair"

seems odd to me that this is the problem since it was happening intermittently and when i was both driving along and completely stopped. I haven.t driven the car since I got back in town so we shall see....

No, this makes perfect sense. Loose wiring will cause intermittent faults (things turning on and off when they shouldn't). Intermittent faults are a bear to diagnose. Loose wiring is the simplest and easiest to fix cause. I'm glad they found the "poor pin fit".