Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Recirc not working and AC not as cold as prior to 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only time I had condensate forming on the vents was when I was driving by the coast with the windows down and the AC on. Switching to fresh air mode sure as heck wouldn't have made a difference since the cabin was full of fresh air. In no other circumstance have I experienced any form of condensate.
Not really talking about condensation on the vents. More concerned with the actual condenser that the air flows over before it hits the vents.

Ok, so I am not *completely* crazy.

I had all my settings on auto and never noticed the recirc. above 4 scenario (I will test it out shortly though). What I did notice though is that the AC is definetly not cooling the cabin as fast as it used to. My default was usually 72F at level 1-2 once I had brought the temperature down to that level (ie in "maintenance" mode). To achieve something similar, I now I have to set things up to ~64F/level 8, all else being equal.

I read through this thread and I am looking forward to hearing a definite answer as to why. The irony is that Tesla tout how quiet the car was...running the fan at 8 to 11 sort of negates that benefit.

I have emailed [email protected] with my feedback.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
To be clear... the setting never actually changes on the screen. It just does it all by itself in the background. Even when I check settings the recirc IS selected but the software overrides what I manually select and turns fresh air on.

Something else interesting I discovered... the fan speed just automatically changes all by itself now. I never use the auto setting. I always want to manually control all of my AC settings. I had it on 4 then it would just randomly change from 3-5 all by itself when auto was OFF. Wonderful.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
To be clear... the setting never actually changes on the screen. It just does it all by itself in the background. Even when I check settings the recirc IS selected but the software overrides what I manually select and turns fresh air on.

Something else interesting I discovered... the fan speed just automatically changes all by itself now. I never use the auto setting. I always want to manually control all of my AC settings. I had it on 4 then it would just randomly change from 3-5 all by itself when auto was OFF. Wonderful.
Now, after reading your report, I think this is the new astrologically calibrated a/c doing its thing, is there a setting that can turn it off just to see if it still has a mind of its own?

Now, after reading your report, I think this is the new astrologically calibrated a/c doing its thing, is there a setting that can turn it off just to see if it still has a mind of its own?

I believe you are correct and that is why I made a previous post requesting an option to go FULL MANUAL and not allow the car to determine my HVAC needs. I am perfectly capable of doing that all on my own. I don't need Tesla managing my HVAC controls for me. Trust me, I know better than they do.

UPDATE:

Received a call from West Palm Beach Service Center and they are going to review my car's logs remotely on Monday AM to see if there is any kind of push update to my car available to remedy the situation. They want me to bring the car to them but I just fail to see how they are going to be able to do something to override the firmware. I am 99% sure a firmware update is needed to make this right.

100% pure speculation but what if they discovered something more serious would break and this was their temporary solution so they could still rollout, keep us and the regulators happy until the bug fix update can be deployed?

If that's true, then maybe none of us should be buying cars from a manufacturer whose HVAC system can potentially cause a serious problem with the vehicle.

The point is why? Not sure if your response is suggesting all is good and why don't we just keep the AC above 4 fan speed and move on or if you're just trying to be informative.

Why would you jimmy with something so simple?
I have no idea. Heard some interesting theories though. It's dumb for sure but I keep the fan in auto so I'm hoping it's staying on recirculate.. haven't been able to verify if it's going to fresh air any more than it used to. What I mean by that is IIRC the car would occasionally switch to fresh even with everything else set to auto. When it did, I can't remember if it indicated it was set to fresh or still showed auto but was allowing fresh air in. I'll know soon enough once I get some time in the car in stop and go traffic

More likely this has been implemented to reduce freezing of the system when parked or when a lower volume of air is passing over the cooling coils. Recycled air tends to be cooler and may produce a lot more condensation.
I read this same guess earlier from a different forum member and it sounds very plausible. As does the cabin cooling feature for pets and kids is actually to cool the cabin down below a certain melt point for the big screen to save warranty repairs. Many folks are seeing the edges of their screens bubble and melt and speculation is the bezel which gets very hot in direct sunlight. If Tesla knew the AC could freeze up without fresh air if it kicked into cabin protection mode while left in recycle mode, that may be the answer

I believe you are correct and that is why I made a previous post requesting an option to go FULL MANUAL and not allow the car to determine my HVAC needs. I am perfectly capable of doing that all on my own. I don't need Tesla managing my HVAC controls for me. Trust me, I know better than they do.

UPDATE:

Received a call from West Palm Beach Service Center and they are going to review my car's logs remotely on Monday AM to see if there is any kind of push update to my car available to remedy the situation. They want me to bring the car to them but I just fail to see how they are going to be able to do something to override the firmware. I am 99% sure a firmware update is needed to make this right.

I still don't get it. When I change from recirculate cabin air to outside air circulation, you can audibly hear (quieter) a difference in my car. We are still getting upper 80's to 90 degree weather and I manually turn on recirculate cabin air for a few minutes until comfortable and then change back to outside air circulation. When changed to outside air circulation, you can audibly hear a slowing down of the fan like most other vehicles.

By the way, I turned off the new feature that turns our climate control on/off if the interior reaches 105 degrees. When this feature was on, I was unable to control it from my Telsa app, so I turned it off on day 1 of the 8.0 update.

Is Tesla actually confirming what you are claiming? What would be the point of selecting manual or auto if you are correct about our software deciding for us?

I read this same guess earlier from a different forum member and it sounds very plausible. As does the cabin cooling feature for pets and kids is actually to cool the cabin down below a certain melt point for the big screen to save warranty repairs. Many folks are seeing the edges of their screens bubble and melt and speculation is the bezel which gets very hot in direct sunlight. If Tesla knew the AC could freeze up without fresh air if it kicked into cabin protection mode while left in recycle mode, that may be the answer

Preconditioning in 7.1 already used full auto, regardless of what custom settings you may have in the HVAC for general use. In full auto, the car can switch between fresh air and recirculate as needed. I would image the 105*F option would also use full auto and not the HVAC setting, so it would use fresh air as needed (or exclusively) anyways. Personally, I would be fine with that. It's when I'm driving the car that I want it follow what I am telling the HVAC controls.

As this mode creates positive pressure inside the cabin, the fans must spin very fast and this creates a lot of noise. I can't imagine someone wanting to spend all their time driving in this mode.
The several times that I have used it, the fans were loud only for the first few moments, once the pressure was established the fans became much quieter.

Update:

Heard back from West Palm Beach service center. The reviewed logs and found no issues with my car. No surprise there. They stated the issue has been escalated. I presume to the firmware team but not 100% sure. I hope so at least.

In the meantime, I asked them to please provide me ALL settings that will result in a recirculated air being used so I can properly set the control parameters accordingly. I know we think we think we have figured it out on our own but I would like acknowledgment from Tesla that they in fact jimmied up the AC settings and now the recirc feature will only work on X Y Z settings and fresh air will be drawn in on all remaining settings regardless of whether or not you selected the recirc option. It's a little alarming that these features were changed and they didn't provide this guidance along with the update.

I am not holding my breath but I am hopeful they provide them soon. I will say everyone I spoke too was pleasant and understanding. Nobody took the defensive. They seemed to indicate that others have complained of the same thing.

Jason

Reactions: apacheguy and msnow
I can just see GM's new Bolt ad... it opens up on a Model S owner not being able to properly cool his or her car... fighting with the recirculation settings over something that should just work... accepting a software update only to have the entire UI experience changed for no good reason as a confused owner tries to re-learn how to use his car on the way to work while scrolling through thousands of songs... and Teslas shimmying all over the road as Tesla tries to figure out Autopilot... cross-fade to Bolt with the tagline "It just works. At half the price".

This thread shows what a joke Tesla's software updates have become.

Last edited:
I can just see GM's new Bolt ad... it opens up on a Model S owner not being able to properly cool his or her car... fighting with the recirculation settings over something that should just work... accepting a software update only to have the entire UI experience changed for no good reason... and Teslas shimmying all over the road as Tesla tries to figure out Autopilot... cross-fade to Bolt with the tagline "It works and at half the price".
I see a future for you in advertising. Dump that real estate gig.