Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Recirc not working and AC not as cold as prior to 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL... I owned an advertising/branding company in Seattle for four years and worked in advertising for 15 years before becoming a realtor, so you aren't too far from the truth! :) Ask me about the ad campaign that I pitched to the Lays company. It was titled "Get Lay'ed"...
It's definitely catchy but I can see the networks having a problem with it.

I can also confirm that v8 simply doesn't cool as well. Our temps are dropping slowly here in Texas, but I was out during the day on Sunday and noticed it immediately. Had to crank the fan way up compared to before. This is going to stink next Summer if they don't get this addressed before then.

Reactions: hmmm
If you haven't done so already, please email [email protected] to report this issue.

I have only received an automated email response for now and will report back when I hear more.

Here is the answer I received:

"Since the 8.0 update, the numbers on the screen do not represent just “fan speed” anymore. They now represent an airflow setting and that is why you have noticed a difference in the HVAC system."

I would guess that there is a (very) strong correlation between airflow and fan speed, even if fan speed is no longer the only variable taken into account and so that answer doesn't really help. No response to my specific additional re. air circ now requiring the fan speed/airflow to be set @ 4 or above though....so I will follow up.

Here is the answer I received:

"Since the 8.0 update, the numbers on the screen do not represent just “fan speed” anymore. They now represent an airflow setting and that is why you have noticed a difference in the HVAC system."

I would guess that there is a (very) strong correlation between airflow and fan speed, even if fan speed is no longer the only variable taken into account and so that answer doesn't really help. No response to my specific additional re. air circ now requiring the fan speed/airflow to be set @ 4 or above though....so I will follow up.
Yeah, it sounds like they either didn't understand your question, are avoiding it or guessing.

Reactions: apacheguy
Yeah, it sounds like they either didn't understand your question, are avoiding it or guessing.
Note: Pure speculation on my part (I haven't had a chance to see the thermal controller code).

I bet the reason why it goes to fresh air for speeds 1-3 is because it expects some "assistance" from oncoming fresh air at highway speeds. So, to save energy, the system mixes fresh air at speeds 1-3 and lowers the fan speed down to 1 (with minimal mixing at 1, partial mix at 2, max mix at 3, and then full recirc and increased fan speed at 4, etc). At lower car speeds or at a full stop, it probably goes to full recirc and changes fan speeds to compensate for the "lack" of fresh air.

This is probably what the ServiceHelp guys mean by the "speed numbers" meaning airflow, instead of purely fan speed.

Has anyone tried turning off range mode and seeing if the issue persists?

They also changed the upper limit (lowered it). When it's very hot, starting at the upper limit reduces the noise, energy use, and vibration. Plus it still feels cool. It was 31.5, now it's 27.5.

I actually smell outside air (exhaust) at fan speed 4 with recirc selected. I've asked Tesla support to provide me an exhaustive list of every single AC setting that provides guaranteed recirculation of cabin air... After many back and forths and promises of following through I have yet to be provided these settings.

Jason

• Informative
I actually smell outside air (exhaust) at fan speed 4 with recirc selected. I've asked Tesla support to provide me an exhaustive list of every single AC setting that provides guaranteed recirculation of cabin air... After many back and forths and promises of following through I have yet to be provided these settings.

Jason
Other than recirc, the fresh air setting or an open window or pano, what other settings are you thinking are allowing exhaust in? From what I can see it's just that one.

Other than recirc, the fresh air setting or an open window or pano, what other settings are you thinking are allowing exhaust in? From what I can see it's just that one.

I don't know and that is why I want to know from Tesla what settings will 100% guarantee that I will get recirculated cabin air ONLY. I don't think I am making too difficult of a request. I think the car is using some algorithm to decide if I should get fresh air or cabin air and nothing I do will change that. I hope I am wrong. See pic for my settings that result in outside air. I sent this to Tesla for comment. Response still pending.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 55
I don't know and that is why I want to know from Tesla what settings will 100% guarantee that I will get recirculated cabin air ONLY. I don't think I am making too difficult of a request. I think the car is using some algorithm to decide if I should get fresh air or cabin air and nothing I do will change that. I hope I am wrong. See pic for my settings that result in outside air. I sent this to Tesla for comment. Response still pending.
Yeah, agree you should only be recirculating with those settings however once your fan drops to 3 it will change to outside air as you know. At least you escalated this, thanks for that.

Well that's dandy so now you're saying instead of keeping my fan speed on 3 as soon as I accept the 8.0 "upgrade" I could quite possibly be forced to keep it on 5 or higher. This is just getting ridiculous. I'm baffled as to why more owners are not concerned about this.

Reactions: Cyclone