Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Stink - solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I know this topic has been beat to death, however I wanted to offer my thoughts based on first hand experiences.
Does your AC absolutely STINK?!

The problem is the filters themselves. I’m an engineer and have been dabbling and experimenting with various solutions. The fix doesn’t require any coil cleaner at all. Simply change the filters. I’ve got 10k on the clock and upgrading to higher quality filters is the solution. Tesla is aware of this and is slowly releasing different revisions to their OEM filters. I live in the US south with insane humidity and the stock filters began to stink after 2 mos.

I spent about 40 bucks on replacements and now 4 months in no sign of stink whatsoever. Don’t bother with coil cleaner, just get those OEM filters out ASAP. Amazon has several options (the ones I got are here but any higher quality one will do)

happy driving everyone!

I wonder when Tesla changed the filter composition? I'm in the DFW region, at 8 months of ownership, 13k miles, run the AC constantly, and still don't have any odor at all.
Hmm...

I'm wondering, though, about the air flow using the HEPA filter. A true HEPA filter is rather dense. It will also fill up/clog much faster than the OEM filter, right?

I wonder when Tesla changed the filter composition? I'm in the DFW region, at 8 months of ownership, 13k miles, run the AC constantly, and still don't have any odor at all.
Hmm...

I'm wondering, though, about the air flow using the HEPA filter. A true HEPA filter is rather dense. It will also fill up/clog much faster than the OEM filter, right?
I think the “HEPA” (in the case of the filter I got) is simply marketing. Tbh I don’t care if it is or isn’t true HEPA - I just don’t want it to stink. So from my perspective they are a success.

Hmm...

You may have the third filter revision (according to my friends that work for tesla is supposed to fix this issue). Hard to say since it all depends on supply chain etc…lots of variables but 8 mos and no stink is a very good sign.

also this is more common in Tesla’s (3/y) with the octobottle or whatever they call it. The cooling system that chills the battery is the same that drives the HVAC. Given that batteries need more cooling than the cabin the vehicle accordingly generates more moisture at the coil (since it’s coolant is much colder than an ICE car). The old filter design absorbs that higher level of condensation and accordingly stinks. The drainage system in the tesla hvac is fine. It’s legit poor filter design.

caveat - I don’t work for tesla but this is the assumption I have made based on information I’ve gotten. I could be wrong but it seems like a likely culprit.

Last edited:
I’ve read lots of threads on this subject with plenty of people reporting that they’ve tried out lots of different types of filters, and the broad consensus is that switching to different filters does not actually address the problem long-term. But I’ll follow this thread too in case something comes of it.

I’ve read lots of threads on this subject with plenty of people reporting that they’ve tried out lots of different types of filters, and the broad consensus is that switching to different filters does not actually address the problem long-term. But I’ll follow this thread too in case something comes of it.
Fair, I’m just speaking about my experience. I didn’t use any coil cleaner and live in an extremely humid climate. I’ve found success in not buying another set of $10 filters.

tesla doesn’t make filters, they just get them from a supplier that makes car sized filters. My point is the material in those needs to adapt to a higher power cooling system.

I think the “HEPA” (in the case of the filter I got) is simply marketing. Tbh I don’t care if it is or isn’t true HEPA - I just don’t want it to stink. So from my perspective they are a success.
While the HEPA replacement filters you can buy on Amazon may be a marketing thing, I’ve read here on TMC that newly delivered MYs have the Bioweapon Defense Mode and therefore OEM HEPA filters. I also thought that a past software update helped mitigate the odor problem by running the fan without AC for a while. Does that not work/help?

While the HEPA replacement filters you can buy on Amazon may be a marketing thing, I’ve read here on TMC that newly delivered MYs have the Bioweapon Defense Mode and therefore OEM HEPA filters. I also thought that a past software update helped mitigate the odor problem by running the fan without AC for a while. Does that not work/help?
I believe that software update was released in 2019. 2020 at the latest. Mine is a 2021 model…so whatever they did didn’t seem to work.

Vin. 88xxx, Dec. 2020 delivery, 2021 MYLR. My fan runs after AC shutoff. I have no odor. I live in high humidity (although very HOT!) Fort Worth.

This thread is REALLY ANNOYING ME! I'm going to have to subject my back/neck/fingers to removing the OEM fan and inspecting it. UGH!!!! :D

Preparing my Model 3 for sale I decided to change the original filters. The AC usually didn't stink if much but now and again it could risk a smell for a short while and I didn't want that to happen in the middle of a showing.

When I removed the filters I noticed some dried crunched leaves on the dirty filter side. I put in clean filters and 24 hrs later the car stank pretty bad like never before. I'm thinking during removal of old filter biological matter may have dropped inside the coil cavity. Can't really see well inside or clean with a vacuum. Bought some AC coil cleaner. Removed new filters and sprayed. Also opened the frunk and frunk panels to see inside the outside intake vent and there was a lot of dried leaves stuck deep inside cavity screen mesh. Carefully removed them as they were dry and brittle. Sprayed the intake cavity well with AC cleaner as well. Then went through the process for AC coil cleaning. So far 48 hours later no stench. Hopes it stays that way as the whole filter removal process is a real PIA.

So happy my Y has Bio-Defense Mode with better filter replacement ergonomics even with added costs.

So happy my Y has Bio-Defense Mode with better filter replacement ergonomics even with added costs.
All model y with Bio-Defense Mode still have 2 cabin air filters that’s placed in the center column.

The HEPA filter is supposed to be replaced once every 3 years while the cabin air filters are to be replaced every 2 years (well we know some peeps have issues with the AC stinking up and have to replace the filters way before that.)

Attachments

• 8B3DB034-6897-46A2-8F43-C149D4D79385.jpeg
    8B3DB034-6897-46A2-8F43-C149D4D79385.jpeg
    956.7 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Threader
Reactions: Gogamecox2010

I installed a piece of this on the top of the HVAC air intake, under the frunk cover, closest to the windshield. It doesn't restrict air flow, and will catch large debris.

I did this about 3 months into ownership. Maybe this is why my AC doesn't smell???

I installed a similar filter on the intake vent and it didn't prevent the smell from coming back the following summer.

I pulled my filters at 12k miles and foamed box. Changing the filters is not that bad. Pull the locking clips under the glovebox and move that to the side. No need to disconnect the speaker or light. I pulled the side panel before I dropped the trim piece under the glove box. At 12k miles my filters were full of dirt and what looked to be cotton (floats in the air around here in the spring). They were surprisingly dirty so it was time to replace them. I foamed the box and waited the recommended 20 minutes before running the fan on high for 2 minutes. Put everything back together and the smell is gone. Turned off cabin overheat protection as I believe this to be the cause of the smell. Most manufacturers recommend cabin filter replacement every 12k miles. I will be doing that from here on out. Not a 2 year cycle. But took me all of 3 minutes to take things apart and pull the filters. It’s an easy job.

Reactions: ucsdsig
TomServo: VIN???
88,xxx here, Dec. 26, 2020 delivery. I'm thinking it may have to do with the evaporator drain being prone to clogging and slow draining. We have high pollen counts here, but not a lot of leaf detritus. Plus, my car stays in the garage most of the time, so it isn't subject to random ingestion of leaf matter. It hasn't lived through an autumn yet.

I live 20 miles SE of St Louis in the Mississippi River valley (humidity is a daily thing) and after 13 months my HVAC still smells nice and clean. I’m on the factory filters. So there has to be something else involved.
I live in High Ridge which isn’t to far from Belleville but have had the smell. Have never had it on another vehicle so this is a first for me. I believe it is the cabin overheat protection causing it. Do you use cabin overheat?