Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's 100 degrees outside and I'm driving back to SF from LA, and my AC just stopped working after supercharging at Tejon Ranch. Anyone ever have this issue before? Apparently, I have to wait until the next available appointment in June to get it fixed, which I find pretty unacceptable given the hot weather right now. Anyone know if its unsafe to drive? I'm afraid that my car is unable to cool the battery in this weather...

- - - Updated - - -

There's also no technicians available to chat on this issue since it's memorial day...

I would personally say it's very un-safe depending on what component has failed. It could be something as simple as the blower in the cabin, or if the AC Compressor failed, forget supercharging and the effects of the active thermal management of your battery, motor, and inverter will be seriously diminished of the battery pack. The car uses the AC system to cool the battery pack during times of extreme heat, such as flooring the car, extremely hot climate (Yours would qualify for that) and supercharging to name a few.

I had this problem last summer (although it didn't happen after supercharging). Try telling the SC it's unacceptable to wait that long because you shouldn't have to drive around in an oven (that's what I did).

They said it shouldn't stop the car from driving, safe travels home and sorry for the inconvenience.

The blower works. I'm assuming the AC compressor is broken. Since i have no other choice so I'm just driving back. I'm assuming that the car would have sensors for the battery if it is too hot and I'm hoping it's not sharing the same cooling system...

Happened to my wife's car last month. Turned out all the refrigerant disappeared from the system due to a chafed low pressure hose. The Tesla Fairies spirited the car away, fixed it, and returned her like magic! Love the Tesla Fairies.

Happened to my wife's car last month. Turned out all the refrigerant disappeared from the system due to a chafed low pressure hose. The Tesla Fairies spirited the car away, fixed it, and returned her like magic! Love the Tesla Fairies.

Woof, did Tesla service mention if it was unsafe to drive? We have been driving for 45 minutes and it seems to be ok and it's almost sundown so not as unbearable.

Woof, did Tesla service mention if it was unsafe to drive? We have been driving for 45 minutes and it seems to be ok and it's almost sundown so not as unbearable.

They did not. My wife noticed the AC wasn't working and called Tesla when she got home (a breakthrough--she didn't make me do it!), and a few days later the Tesla Fairies came and did their magic. My wife won't drive without AC anyway, so she drove the Oddy in the meantime. Turned out the mini-van's AC wasn't working either! There were no fairies involved in fixing that car, however.

Frank, if it's really a concern just drop it off at the Service Center first thing in the morning. Worst case you'll end up with a rental car, but it'll have A/C. Best case you get a Model S loaner and your car fixed before next Monday.

You're suggesting he jump the queue because his non emergent problem is more important than other Tesla owners' non emergent problems? I'd say it's fine to drop it off if you think it's undrivable but please have some perspective. Service centers are busy and have to triage repairs and service in order of priority as well as who came first. Not everybody can be a VIP at once.

You're suggesting he jump the queue because his non emergent problem is more important than other Tesla owners' non emergent problems? I'd say it's fine to drop it off if you think it's undrivable but please have some perspective. Service centers are busy and have to triage repairs and service in order of priority as well as who came first. Not everybody can be a VIP at once.

Are you saying that there are so many Teslas currently in service with serious issues that there is not enough time or manpower available to fix OP's air conditioner? If so, that really doesn't bode well for the quality and workmanship of this car. I hope this is not the case. I can't believe how many cars would have to be in service for multiple service centers to be unavailable until next month to fix this AC issue. To say that service has to "triage" repairs implies that there are disaster level proportions of cars in service. Again, I hope this is not the case.

Are you saying that there are so many Teslas currently in service with serious issues that there is not enough time or manpower available to fix OP's air conditioner? If so, that really doesn't bode well for the quality and workmanship of this car. I hope this is not the case. I can't believe how many cars would have to be in service for multiple service centers to be unavailable until next month to fix this AC issue. To say that service has to "triage" repairs implies that there are disaster level proportions of cars in service. Again, I hope this is not the case.

The Service Centres also prep new cars for delivery. They are plenty busy with non-warranty work.

No queue jumping - worst case they don't get to it until Monday, but he has A/C in a loaner/rental until then. Best case they find some free time in their schedule and take care of it before then. Service Centers never run at 100% load - they schedule below max service capacity to leave room for unexpected delays or busted cars coming in. Many days neither of those happen and they have down time. Can't schedule to that, but if it should happen and a low priority car is sitting there they can grab it and work on it.

I submit this conversation about queue jumping wouldn't be happening if there were independent Tesla-authorized repair shops. You have no choice but to bring it to your SC and are at their mercy for when they can get to it. As is my understanding, other shops can't even get parts or documentation even if they wanted to attempt to fix something. I mean, something simple as a broken AC hose, anyone can fix that and recharge the system. But the service network is very closed and tightly held.

Don't get me wrong though, the SC's do a fantastic job compared to their ICE counterparts. But they get busy too and potentially small things like this should really be able to be handled at an Indy. I hope someday this can happen at least for the standard automotive systems (not sure I want an Indy poking at the battery pack).

-m