Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC system driving me insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncertainTimes

Aug 7, 2020
USA
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. For the life of me I just cannot get the climate to remember its last setting. I like using manual mode because mostly I don’t need AC during my commute. But when I do need it the car either turns off the AC when I open a door or when it’s off, it’ll turn it back on. It doesn’t seem tied to the driver profile. I swear it just knows exactly the opposite setting I need chooses that. I feel like this starting happening with the last few software versions.

Recently it seems as though the AC turns itself on. I haven't paid strict attention to rope its exact behavior, but I would pull up the climate control panel to confirm my settings, and some time later it seems AC goes back on.

The settings mess up when there's easy entry, it's like it's two profiles. It drove me mad before as I like to turn off A/C a few minutes before I park, to blow away the humidity & reduce stress to the A/C when I open the doors to just take some stuff.
It seems inconsistent though. I think it may also be related to whether the drivers seat senses whether it’s occupied when changes to AC are made.

Intrigued, I just tried this in my 2020 M3 running 2022.16.3.

If HVAC is completely off, it stays off regardless of profile. The set temperature changes with the profile but it stays off, with no air blowing.

If HVAC is on, every setting - including manual settings and the AC state - is loaded with the driver profile.

So unless the OP has AC on in the Easy Entry profile, my observed behavior is different 🤔

edit: never mind! As @UncertainTimes mentioned, it is in fact inconsistent, perhaps tied to minimum compressor cycle times or sunspots... 🙄

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
Every profile seems to have a complete set of parameter settings.

If you require consistent behaviors, you have to set each profile, including Easy Entry.

HVAC is designed to simply be on Auto. Just set the seasonal temperature and let it decide between AC, Heat and simple defrost.

The only time it is important to set special settings on Climate control is when the car will be unplugged and parked for many days.

Reactions: DrChaos and heavyD
Modern climate controls are oriented towards automatic climate control and not to tweakers (people that like to constantly change fan speed, temperature, etc). A/C runs behind the scenes in most new cars for a variety of reasons. Best to find a comfortable temperature for you and leave it in auto.

Reactions: Thp3 and Kimmi
The Easy Entry profile has never worked "correctly" as it should store only seat and steering wheel position data, nothing else.

Instead it will store mirror positions, and all sorts of stuff unrelated to ingress and egress.
Yea I think this is the issue. I don’t remember it being broken like this in v10. Just another thing to complain about in v11

Modern climate controls are oriented towards automatic climate control and not to tweakers (people that like to constantly change fan speed, temperature, etc). A/C runs behind the scenes in most new cars for a variety of reasons. Best to find a comfortable temperature for you and leave it in auto.
It should not take much to accommodate more manual users:
  • Move the fan speed slider to the bottom of the HVAC screen so that it is easier to use.
  • Have a heat on/off button like the AC on/off button.
  • If heat and AC are both off, change the temperature selector on the bottom of the screen to a fan speed selector.
  • When heat and/or AC is on (in automatic mode or otherwise), allow setting a temperature range instead of a single set temperature. If you are comfortable at any temperature between 65F and 75F, there is no reason to run either the heat or AC when the interior is between those temperatures.

It should not take much to accommodate more manual users:
  • Move the fan speed slider to the bottom of the HVAC screen so that it is easier to use.
  • Have a heat on/off button like the AC on/off button.
  • If heat and AC are both off, change the temperature selector on the bottom of the screen to a fan speed selector.
  • When heat and/or AC is on (in automatic mode or otherwise), allow setting a temperature range instead of a single set temperature. If you are comfortable at any temperature between 65F and 75F, there is no reason to run either the heat or AC when the interior is between those temperatures.
For whatever reason automakers don't usually offer a deadband setting in automatic climate control systems. It could be because some people are sensitive to temperature fluctuations or that it may overcomplicate things for some people trying to set their temperature.

Yea I think this is the issue. I don’t remember it being broken like this in v10. Just another thing to complain about in v11

people here are right and easy entry messes with climate control. However, v11 also messed stuff up. in V10 your own settings would overwrite the default. I.e. if you set your phone to 24 degrees and 2 bars seatheater the car would retain this setting for both ez entry as well as your profile.
that is not the case anymore. Now you set your phone to preheat 21 degrees. Then you get in, but EZ entry is stuck on 24 degrees with seat heaters on 3. Then you put in drive and it goes to 22C with seat heaters off because thats what you had. its dumb. V10 definetely was the best there was for climate control.

I think I figured it out. Basically the car never remembers any setting made in Easy Entry. As soon as you open a door the climate system defaults to the last known setting in the driver's profile. So if you have AC on in your driver’s profile but then park and turn it off in Easy Entry mode, the next time you open the door the AC will turn on because that was the last state in the driver's profile.

This seems like a lot of self-induced stress……

*edit*

To be 100% fair, I did start my own thread asking about the strain the battery relays experience closing every time I open the door to grab something out of the car. AND, even now knowing those relays are rated for 1 million cycles (I.e 50 cycles per day for 54 years…), I still roll a window down when I park in my garage overnight so I don’t have to open the door :p .

Still, this makes me think of all the frantic pecking my wife does trying to mess with all the HVAC settings, when simply turning the temp up or down a couple degrees would have almost exactly the same effect (I.e. re-angling the vents, adjusting blower speed, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jo060
This seems like a lot of self-induced stress……

*edit*

To be 100% fair, I did start my own thread asking about the strain the battery relays experience closing every time I open the door to grab something out of the car. AND, even now knowing those relays are rated for 1 million cycles (I.e 50 cycles per day for 54 years…), I still roll a window down when I park in my garage overnight so I don’t have to open the door :p .

Still, this makes me think of all the frantic pecking my wife does trying to mess with all the HVAC settings, when simply turning the temp up or down a couple degrees would have almost exactly the same effect (I.e. re-angling the vents, adjusting blower speed, etc).
Well yea I’d like to prevent unnecessary short cycling on the AC too. Can’t avoid the battery stuff but can prevent the AC from coming on just grabbing something out of the car.