TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AC System in Extreme Heat

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by ForeverFree, Jul 27, 2018.

1. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

From the start, I’ve loved Model 3’s unique venture system.

However, I did wonder whether the AC could keep up in true hot weather.

Our experience in recent 105-degree-plus temps cured that worry.

The system handled it like a champ. In fact, the ability to blow air directly through the steering wheel at your face and hands was a game-changer in these conditions.

Traditional vents, although a bit easier to manipulate without looking, just can’t come close.

As with so many things Model 3, it’s game over for the old ICE incumbents, but they just don’t know it yet ...

• Like x 2
  2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

One of my pet peeves about virtually every other car I've driven, including my Model S, is that the AC vents that need to blow on my face and upper body are positioned so that they make my hands freeze. The Model 3's directional air flow is welcome beyond words.

• Informative x 1
  3. oscarfish

oscarfish Member

This car is the future. It was in the 90's here yesterday and as I was walking out of the office I opened the Tesla app. Interior showed 109. I turned on the AC and by the time I got to the car it was comfortable inside. Unbelievable.

• Like x 1
  4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Is there a way to disable either the passenger or driver side air flow? My wife's preference today was to have no air blowing on her.

5. pobudz

pobudz Member

Same experience here (Phoenix). I also have SunTek on the car including the windshield, it makes a huge difference. Car takes longer to get hot, and cools down much faster. I was driving a '17 Infiniti Q50 recently. It's not even close... Tesla's HVAC is superior.

Split and point her vents all the way up and to the outside edges. Unless she's 7ft tall, it won't even come close. Also, you can unsync temps. If it's set to auto, it'll be less intense on her side. My wife is the same way and this has worked for her.

My only wish is that auto included rear vents. As far as I can tell, manual is the only way they turn on.

6. swaltner

swaltner Member

If someone is sitting in the back seat on my Model 3, the rear vent automatically activates. I haven’t tested to see if they turn on/off with occupancy changes if the car is already on.

7. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I tried that and she still complained.

8. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Time for a new wife.