Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC System in Extreme Heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
From the start, I’ve loved Model 3’s unique venture system.

However, I did wonder whether the AC could keep up in true hot weather.

Our experience in recent 105-degree-plus temps cured that worry.

The system handled it like a champ. In fact, the ability to blow air directly through the steering wheel at your face and hands was a game-changer in these conditions.

Traditional vents, although a bit easier to manipulate without looking, just can’t come close.

As with so many things Model 3, it’s game over for the old ICE incumbents, but they just don’t know it yet ...

Reactions: Pkmmte and MP3Mike
One of my pet peeves about virtually every other car I've driven, including my Model S, is that the AC vents that need to blow on my face and upper body are positioned so that they make my hands freeze. The Model 3's directional air flow is welcome beyond words.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Same experience here (Phoenix). I also have SunTek on the car including the windshield, it makes a huge difference. Car takes longer to get hot, and cools down much faster. I was driving a '17 Infiniti Q50 recently. It's not even close... Tesla's HVAC is superior.

Is there a way to disable either the passenger or driver side air flow? My wife's preference today was to have no air blowing on her.

Split and point her vents all the way up and to the outside edges. Unless she's 7ft tall, it won't even come close. Also, you can unsync temps. If it's set to auto, it'll be less intense on her side. My wife is the same way and this has worked for her.

My only wish is that auto included rear vents. As far as I can tell, manual is the only way they turn on.

Same experience here (Phoenix). I also have SunTek on the car including the windshield, it makes a huge difference. Car takes longer to get hot, and cools down much faster. I was driving a '17 Infiniti Q50 recently. It's not even close... Tesla's HVAC is superior.

Split and point her vents all the way up and to the outside edges. Unless she's 7ft tall, it won't even come close. Also, you can unsync temps. If it's set to auto, it'll be less intense on her side. My wife is the same way and this has worked for her.
I tried that and she still complained.