TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AC turning on at random while parked and locked

Discussion in 'Model S' started by unclfuzzy, Jun 19, 2015.

1. unclfuzzy

unclfuzzy Member

Yesterday afternoon a few hours after I parked I went outside and heard my Model S Sig making a bunch of noise. Opened the app and found the AC on. It said it was 95 inside the car which isn't particularly hot for this region and I've never seen this happen before. Then this morning the security guard at work called me to tell me my car was making a bunch of noise. Couldn't get to it remotely (stupid crap app) and by the time I went to the car it was quiet. I opened the door and turned off the AC just to be sure. Anyone else had this happen?

2. Lump

Lump Active Member

3. JMG

JMG Member

Just a wild guess, but do you have Smart Preconditioning turned out? Perhaps it thinks you are about to occupy the car?

I have mine turned off because I don't keep a regular schedule.

4. unclfuzzy

unclfuzzy Member

I have it turned on, but both instances have been at times I almost never use the car. Late afternoon after coming home from work and mid-morning while at work. I asked Tesla to take a look at the logs. If it does turn out to be Smart Preconditioning, I would say they should lose the Smart part of the name.

5. drrex1

drrex1 Banned

I have also had instances of AC coming on by itself while charging. Smart Precondition ingredients ON. This could be the culprit as I periodically check my car while at work and turn on AC and center roof if it is hot. I also move the car within 4 hours (charging limit at work). I think it is learning my habits

6. unclfuzzy

unclfuzzy Member

The instance this morning at work it was not plugged in. Strange. We'll see what they see in the logs.

7. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

The battery thermal management is capable of turning on the AC and heating to cool or heat the pack as needed during temperature extremes, even while unplugged.

Do you park in the sun by chance?

8. Zextraterrestrial

'smart' preconditioning is/was crazy... turn it off
    Mine was running at very odd times when I tried it for a little while.

9. unclfuzzy

unclfuzzy Member

Nope in a garage and the ambient temperature was in the 70s (F).

10. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

^^^ What Zex says!

11. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

The I blame Smart Preconditioning :p

12. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

I was asked by my co-werkers why my car is "peeing" so profusely. When we hopped inside to go fur lunch it was nice and chilled. It was inside a parking garage on a not particularly hot day and the smart preconditioning was off.

13. DoubleDownOn9

DoubleDownOn9 Member

This has been happening to me too. Turned off smart pre-conditioning. It's a shame as this seemed like a useful feature. I guess AI's not taking over anytime soon... I seriously leave work at the exact same time everyday. Should not be hard to notice that...

14. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

If there is much stagnant air, I can imagine the BMS needing to cool the pack, especially if it was charging at some point while sitting. At least, that's what I tell myself to explain why sometimes I see over 1k Wh/mile when I first get in my car at the garage.

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'd prefer the ability to set a schedule myself and simply use the app for those other occasions when I want to control the HVAC.

16. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Where is it?

17. Lump

Lump Active Member

Smart Preconditioning (BETA)

With this release, Smart Preconditioning will automatically get the cabin climate ready for you, based on
    the last set temperature and your driving schedule. Model S will observe your driving schedule and when
    it’s confident in identifying a pattern, it will start Smart Preconditioning when you are charging, at home, or
    at work.

Smart Preconditioning will be disabled by default. You can enable it via the SMART PRECONDITIONING
    setting in Controls > Settings > Vehicle > CLIMATE.TESLA MOTORS - SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTIFICATION 5

Note:
    -If you do not have a regular driving schedule, Model S will not be able to confidently identify a pattern
    and may not ever start Smart Preconditioning for your car.

-Smart Preconditioning is only available if you save home and work locations.

18. invisik

invisik Member

Mine also has turned on the AC at weird times..... yesterday 10:37pm and the day before at 5am..... I do think it's preconditioning, even though I may have only gone out once a bit after those times it really shouldn't think that's the new schedule because I did it once....?

-m

19. Wayneb

Wayneb Member

Has happened a few times in my home garage when I didn't think temperature was that high but I assumed it was cooling the battery. It always stops when I open the car and sit down.

20. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

In my experience pack conditioning won't kick in until above 100 F if the car is just sitting parked. I had the car sitting in the sun at 90+ F and have not noted any increased drain as a result of cooling.