Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Turns off when Driver Leaves while Back Passenger is in the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y last week. While running errands with my wife and 3 month old baby in the back seat, I notice that it turns off the AC every time I leave the car. With COVID going on, my wife stays in the car with the baby while I go take care of things. I tried turning on the AC with my app but it only turns on the AC in the front row, and the back row doesnt turn back on unless I get into the driver seat. Is this normal? I thought that it senses passengers and keep the AC on. Am I doing something wrong, does anyone else have this problem?

Dog mode, my friend
LOL. My wife and child are not dogs... Tesla needs to fix this.

Yep. When you leave it turns off. Saves energy.
When I have that situation occur, I turn ON my AC from the monitor and it seems to stay on when I leave and close/lock the door.
I saw a post where it senses the back seat passengers and leaves the AC on. Would like to see if anyone knows anything more about this.

Reactions: coleman567
There are a lot of ways to do this.

Just tell the passenger to touch the screen when you get out and it turns back on.

leave your phone or key card in the car. (Like a normal car)

put the car in camping mode.

take your phone and set the AC after you leave.

use dog mode but why?

hit the brake after you open the door and get off the seat.

Using the seat sensors to keep the AC on is a horrible idea. My backpack would use up all my battery.

Given that the rear seats trigger the weight sensor when folded down, I hope it doesn't detect "passengers" and stay on. I would hate for my AC to be blowing when the seat are folded down. Not that I fold them, but if I did, I wouldn't want the AC running. Obviously they need to tweak that sensor package a bit, as I would rather have AC stay on for people automatically instead of having to press ON when I leave the car.

LOL. My wife and child are not dogs... Tesla needs to fix this.

I saw a post where it senses the back seat passengers and leaves the AC on. Would like to see if anyone knows anything more about this.
You can also use the Keep Climate On option. As @P3dStealth mentioned, there are so many ways to address this. All of these options are mentioned in the manual.
20200804_143708.jpg

There are a lot of ways to do this.

Just tell the passenger to touch the screen when you get out and it turns back on.

leave your phone or key card in the car. (Like a normal car)

put the car in camping mode.

take your phone and set the AC after you leave.

use dog mode but why?

hit the brake after you open the door and get off the seat.

Using the seat sensors to keep the AC on is a horrible idea. My backpack would use up all my battery.

My wife touched the screen but it didn't turn back on, she had to press down on the driver seat to put weight on it and it turned back on. The phone and key was also left in the car.

I set the AC on my app after I left the first time, however only the front row AC turns on. The back row seat doesn't turn on. Theres no way to control the back row ac from the app. I heard this is a new update that they rolled out fairly recently to save battery. But in hot places like Florida, AC in the front row only does not cool the car completely.

Ill try hitting the brake method next time.

As for the backpack, I had that issue too, it kept saying theres a person sitting there without the seat belt.

My wife touched the screen but it didn't turn back on, she had to press down on the driver seat to put weight on it and it turned back on. The phone and key was also left in the car.

I set the AC on my app after I left the first time, however only the front row AC turns on. The back row seat doesn't turn on. Theres no way to control the back row ac from the app. I heard this is a new update that they rolled out fairly recently to save battery. But in hot places like Florida, AC in the front row only does not cool the car completely.

Ill try hitting the brake method next time.

As for the backpack, I had that issue too, it kept saying theres a person sitting there without the seat belt.

She has to touch the screen within a few seconds of it turning off. If she doesn't the car won't come back on.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation