Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Turns off when Driver Leaves while Back Passenger is in the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mt husband has a 2018 M3 and when he leaves his phone I'm the car and gets out, the air stays on and the screen for me and our child. In my 2021 M3, different story, I live in AZ so even a minute with no AC is terrible, I thought my car would do the same when checking the mail but my son told me the screen turns off and so does the AC. Dog mode works, but annoying if my passenger and kid want to watch something on the screen while I'm out of the car. I keep my AC on auto, my husband keeps his on ON. I'll try the ON, but I wish keeping my phone in the car would keep it going while I pop out for 1-2 minutes to check the mail.

There are a lot of ways to do this.

Just tell the passenger to touch the screen when you get out and it turns back on.
That definitely does nothing to help the situation in my car.

leave your phone or key card in the car. (Like a normal car)
That also does not do anything to help the situation in my car.

I just went and got my car and tested this. With me sitting in the passenger seat with my phone and key in the car with me, the instant the drivers door is closed no amount of pounding on the touch screen will bring the car back to life.

Camp mode works of course though. I'm curious if people are repeating things they've read without actually testing, or is Tesla's software set up so that these things really work that differently from one car to the next.

I just went and got my car and tested this. With me sitting in the passenger seat with my phone and key in the car with me, the instant the drivers door is closed no amount of pounding on the touch screen will bring the car back to life.

Camp mode works of course though. I'm curious if people are repeating things they've read without actually testing, or is Tesla's software set up so that these things really work that differently from one car to the next.
What year is your car? Also, my child in the back can't touch the screen...

On mine, as well as my friend's model 3, if we are in the passenger seat, the screen turns off when the driver leaves. On my Y not sure about his 3, if I open the passenger door, the screen turns on.. Then I can just press camp, then close the door... Then the screen and climate stays on... I can even turn camp back off, and everything stays on until I open/close the door again.

You have to actually have two people in the car and then one get out. It won't work if your trying it alone. I assume it's using the door status and weight sensors to figure out how many people are inside and if they got out. It may sense weight still in the passenger seat but maybe it's a backpack or something. So if your sitting in the passenger and opening/closing driver's door it's not going to work.

For me 100% of the time if I get out and the passenger touches the screen within a few seconds it turns back on.

So this probably isn’t safe and my wife would kill me. But a lot of times if I’m dropping my daughter off and I need to run into a place like Starbucks to pick up a mobile order. I’ll close the door get out, close it part of the way so it’s on the first latch but not fully closed. It keeps the AC (including back) and radio running, and the car can’t be driven because the phone isn’t there. It’s not ideal but for short running in works to not interrupt the rear passengers.

Note I only do this if I’ll be gone less then a minute and am in full view of the car the entire time. But I probably shouldn’t as I think I’ve seen enough tv show and movies that start out that way...

edit: the doors are not locked if you do this, they’re still “open” according to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
So this probably isn’t safe and my wife would kill me. But a lot of times if I’m dropping my daughter off and I need to run into a place like Starbucks to pick up a mobile order. I’ll close the door get out, close it part of the way so it’s on the first latch but not fully closed. It keeps the AC (including back) and radio running, and the car can’t be driven because the phone isn’t there. It’s not ideal but for short running in works to not interrupt the rear passengers.

Note I only do this if I’ll be gone less then a minute and am in full view of the car the entire time. But I probably shouldn’t as I think I’ve seen enough tv show and movies that start out that way...

edit: the doors are not locked if you do this, they’re still “open” according to the car.
Just use camp mode. I literally do this everyday at least 2-3 times. Just a few minutes ago, I dropped my daughter off... I hit camp, which locks in your current settings (unless you change them), and I took her out of the car, locked the doors... I could see everything was still on... Came back out a few minutes later, and everything was still on....

Just use camp mode. I literally do this everyday at least 2-3 times. Just a few minutes ago, I dropped my daughter off... I hit camp, which locks in your current settings (unless you change them), and I took her out of the car, locked the doors... I could see everything was still on... Came back out a few minutes later, and everything was still on....
But in camp mode I believe walking away does not lock the car? We always use dog mode when I leave my wife in the car while I run an errand. Why do we need another setting that does exactly the same thing but labelled differently for sensitive passengers?