TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

AC vented seats

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by lloyds, Aug 7, 2015.

1. lloyds

lloyds Member

I'm currently looking at trading in my + for the p90d..but am curious if there is any word on whether Tesla has any plans of creating AC vented seats. I have it on my M5 and love it. Figure for a $140k car, this lux item should be in the car. Also can anyone confirm if the newer cars have strap on headliner for hanging suits?

2. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

There's pretty much never any word on whether Tesla have plans to add anything new to the car.

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Never been an option and the question comes up every now and again on TMC but still no real information from Tesla if\when this feature is ever going to make it into the Model S. The general consensus is that Tesla isn't terribly interested in implementing ventilated seats at this time.

Jeff

4. HHHH

HHHH Member

Probably a cool feature, I used to have them in a W211 E55 they were cool. I'd much rather have the pre-cool feature with the app.

5. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

With the flat floor construction and console design, there is little space for the ducting necessary to cool the seats.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

There are two air vents right under the cup holders / arm rest, so there obviously is already ducting right were you would feed it into the seats. I think just vans built into the seats would already be enough. You don't really want to cool down the seats, just some airflow to prevent sweating. But as others have said, pre-cooling the car via the app takes care of the hot car problem mostly.

7. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

There are lots of cars that come with ventilated seats (i.e. built in fans in the seatbases) without having a direct supply of AC air.

8. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Most, if not all, A\C seats are self contained. You need only a power source under the seat, no ducting to the car's main A\C is needed.

My only guess is weight, they are heavy and weight is the enemy of range.

Jeff

9. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Look to see if the Model X offers this feature. If it does, we'll see it in the Model S pretty soon. If the Model X ships without this feature I doubt we'll see it in the Model S for at least a year.

Having said that we have ventilated seated in our Mercedes and I really like this feature a lot. However given the choice between AC seats or precooling the car, I'd go for precooling the car so I would not let this issue keep you from buying a Model S. With precooling it is not as necessary.

10. InsaneDriver

InsaneDriver Member

I definitely agree, at this price range I would expect some features to already be there. We have ventilated seats in our E550, what's funny is how often we just don't use them. Once the car is cooled off, never have issues with feeling uncomfortable.

So so I've found the same in the Tesla, although because the leather is so smooth I feel like I tend to stick to the seats more so than in our Mercedes. So hopefully in the future they add them as standard with the upgraded interior.

But it not having them isn't the end of the world, and it's hot down here.

11. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    To answer your 2nd question : no, nothing to hang in the car. At least, not in mine...(pano roof)

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Clever after-market solution to that here.

13. ScottyNeutron

ScottyNeutron Member

Many of the AC seats used in other vehicles (Ford F150 for example) employ a fan which passes air over a Peltier Effect cooler in the seat. These take a significant amount of power to operate. Not a problem with an ICE vehicle, but I expect the effect on range would be an issue with a BEV.

14. AQQU

AQQU Member

Even the Kia Soul EV has seat cooling ...

15. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Not so sure. Here is a Peltier cooling / heating seat apparently pulls around 30W. It's an add-on but I assume would be in the ball park for built in.