TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Acceleration Analogy

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by gavine, Jun 3, 2014.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I picked-up my MS60 on Saturday and I have been trying to come-up with an analogy to explain how the acceleration feels. I have seen some reviews where journalists try and describe it, but I haven't seen one yet that is accurate. I came-up with one, but it's still not good enough. I'm hoping some of you talented members can come-up with a better one.

The best I could come up with is that it feels as though the car is connected to a fully stretched bungee-jumper cord and pushing the accelerator releases the brakes. The more you push on the accelerator, the less the brakes are applied. The when you let-off, the brakes begin to apply (regen). Part of why I think the bungee analogy is accurate is because it's so quiet and smooth that it feels as if the power is coming from an external source.

2. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

That's not a bad analogy! It explains both the rush and the regen. Yeah...not a bad analogy.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I just tell people it's line those roller coasters that use magnetic linear induction motors that launch you out of the gate with nearly instant acceleration. What's funny is those linear induction motors are pretty much just a rolled out flat version of the AC induction motor in the Tesla (though they might run on DC).

4. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The launch is like being fired from a rail gun.

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Catapult launch from an aircraft carrier.

Which is essentially what the OP describes - a cord tied to the front of the vehicle that yanks it forward.

6. RichardL

RichardL Member

I recall seeing a quote, can't remember where, that seemed appropriate - 'horizontal bungee jumping'

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

We have a few former and current pilots here I believe who have experienced a catapult launch and say that is an accurate analogy.

8. andydoty

andydoty Member

Basically I keep it simple: "It feels like a roller coaster with a rocket strapped to your ass..."

That seems to fit perfectly...

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

This. Reminds me of the scenes set to 'Danger Zone' from "Top Gun".
    (okay, you can stop snickering now.)

I do this twice a day as I merge onto Hwy 101 from a metering light. There are two lanes at the light and they go green one after the other and the pattern is not consistent morning to evening, day to day. I make sure to get in the lane that gets the green first.

It's simply exhilarating! Does explain the Wh/mile spike that negates all the good numbers later.

10. dasRad

dasRad Member

The acceleration is similar to what one experiences in a modern commuter rail car. There is a sense of effortless, smooth, steady pressure and in a few seconds you realize that the vehicle you are in is moving at 100 km/hr and that the power to do that must be immense.

11. gavine

There is indeed a lot of power stored in this car. I always wondered why all electric vehicles aren't fast like this, but I realized it's because of battery capacity and if a Nissan Leaf, for example, had the kind of power that the Model S has, the range would be terrible. So the huge battery in Teslas is what affords such a powerful motor while still having good range.

12. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Yeah !! my first highway onramp in an MS felt totally like those many times I launched from rail guns. I told my friends and they can't wait to try it, they love the rail gun feeling so much as well!

13. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Yeah !! my first highway onramp in an MS felt totally like those many times I launched from rail guns. I told my friends and they can't wait to try it, they love the rail gun feeling so much as well!

14. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

#14 Brightonuk, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  15. David99

David99 Active Member

It's like the 'California Screaming' ride at Disneyland. Both the acceleration and the people screaming pretty much matches what happens inside a Model S.

Having said that, I got so used to it by now it doesn't feel that strong to me any more. I know it still is because when I look in the mirrors, every car that was next to me is suddenly way behind me. But the sensation has worn out a little ;/

16. gavine

Almost everything feels kinda slow vs. GT-R, especially one that has been modified.

17. gavine

#17 gavine, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016