Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration bar not peaking when flooring it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P3D and couldn't help but notice that when I floor the accelerator the black acceleration bar on the screen doesnt go all the way to the end and usually stops about a half cm short of the end of the potential bar space if that makes sense.

This was at 60-70% soc with a pretty cold battery(couple regen dots but none on acceleration side) which may be a factor. From what Ive seen in acceleration videos the bar usually goes all the way to the end before slowly coming back down as the car reaches 70+ mph, then of course into the green regen bar when the driver lets off the pedal. Just want to make sure my car isn't holding back at all!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Output power definitely depends on SoC - know how battery-powered items slowly perform worse until the battery is dead? Flashlights, drills, etc.? An EV is no different if it's not being artificially held back.

Your Model 3 is held back at lower speeds regarding total power though. This is somewhat necessary because full power output would be too much at low speeds. And at higher speeds, you also lose power simply because that's how electric motors work after a certain speed.

See this graph: Model 3 AWD Power vs. Speed (fw 2019.8.5)

• Informative
Reactions: Bfitz510
2019 P3D+. Noticed that too today. Green bar wouldn't reach the end. A few 30-70 runs confirmed. I was at 70% SOC but regen still had dots.

It's not only a state of charge thing it's also a battery temperature thing as well your car won't give you full battery power when the battery is too cold or too hot. Keep in mind your battery pack is a large probably approaching 1,000 pound thermal mass It doesn't change temperature just because the temperature changes outside in a matter of hours and suddenly it's 70° your battery pack is not going to warm up to ambient temperatures that fast It would take days.

[/GALLERY] I tried a launch today with 50% soc and got the usual acceleration cutoff. Then tried again after supercharging to 95% and got full acceleration. I guess the car doesn’t allow max acceleration with an soc >70% or so.

I wonder if this will cause slower acceleration down the road when the battery degrades over time.

after supercharging my guess is that you warmed the pack efficiently to regain full regen and full power because the battery not only had a higher state of charge but was also warmer.

I dont think Ive ever seen regen hit max. I just figured it was a style choice or that maybe it only hits full in track mode. Ive never really looked during full acceleration. I only charge to 80 though so its likely I wont see it without additional planning.

This was after a shirt 5 mile drive. I noticed that it does take well over 20 highway miles in 30-40 degree weather for the regen to come back. Rook the car out for another 10 miles and this time, the acceleration bar was full and felt much better.