Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost £1.5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d pay the extra (indeed, I did) for the performance model - mostly for the updated brakes, better looking wheels, and bragging rights

But honestly after having driven it, I don’t think I’d pay for the acceleration upgrade on the AWD LR... the full bore 0-60 is a fun party trick but in the real world I can already tell that 2/3 throttle is more than enough for general driving and 3/4 is only to be used on a wide open road... I doubt I’ll actually use full throttle for anything other than showing people how crazy the car is.

after having driven it, I don’t think I’d pay for the acceleration upgrade on the AWD LR... the full bore 0-60 is a fun party trick

The first MS I had was Performance. Its replacement is "cooking version" Hahaha ... still well under 4s 0-60. Basically very rarely used Performance in real world

Did all the mates-demo stuff, but that was all done and dusted in the first couple of months.

If I jumped out onto roundabout, because i could, any passenger not concentrating would be very unhappy with the whiplash ...

I once had a really loud, sleek looking, Jag behind me at a big roundabout at the lights prior to my exit. The one and only time I have done full-bore-performance "away from the lights". No idea what Jag thought, but he had changed lanes to get in behind me on the roundabout and I was literally out of sight before he had moved ... so ... I should have got out and given him a referral code before the lights changed!

Thus for the replacement MS I decided I just didn't need P. P used to include nice-to-have options but they are now all included on the basic model and MS-P is £15K ... so other criteria almost certainly apply for M3 :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Fly.guy
5% is standard manufacturer spec. Acceleration boost is an add-on modification, so the car is no longer standard spec. We declared tow bar and FSD, and tow bar is specifically listed on the policy as a modification even though it was a factory option.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
Having had my M3 LR for just over six months, I'm starting to get used to the acceleration (still makes me smile, but rarely the big grin I had at the start). So as a birthday treat I bought the £1500 Acceleration Boost. The big grin is back :D!

I have a Dragy and it confirms the increase: 0.60s off 0-60mph from a standing start and 0.58 off the 1ft rollout figure, so both better than the advertised 0.5s. I can also feel the difference at 'launch' - now I'm thrown back whereas it was a bit more gentle before.

AccBoost.jpg

I phoned my insurers (Direct Line) to make sure they were aware, and after some discussion (including checking with a supervisor) there was a premium increase but it is only £13 so I didn't think it worth trying to call in again to get it for 'free'. I will get new policy documents so a bit of peace of mind that they have included it.

Last edited:
Having had my M3 LR for just over six months, I'm starting to get used to the acceleration (still makes me smile, but rarely the big grin I had at the start). So as a birthday treat I bought the £1500 Acceleration Boost. The big grin is back :D!

I have a Dragy and it confirms the increase: 0.60s off 0-60mph from a standing start and 0.58 off the 1ft rollout figure, so both better than the advertised 0.5s. I can also feel the difference at 'launch' - now I'm thrown back whereas it was a bit more gentle before.

View attachment 593344

I phoned my insurers (Direct Line) to make sure they were aware, and after some discussion (including checking with a supervisor) there was a premium increase but it is only £13 so I didn't think it worth trying to call in again to get it for 'free'. I will get new policy documents so a bit of peace of mind that they have included it.
Stop it Mark,

I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this

(If I don't need this why did I preemptively get it included when I renewed my policy?)

Still, there's a chance I'll get paid a bonus in December (I thought being employed was the bonus in 2020) and then I'll justify the spend.

View attachment 593344

Do you feel a noticeable difference at overtaking speeds? 40-80 for example? Would be interesting to see side by side times for that!

Do you feel a noticeable difference at overtaking speeds? 40-80 for example? Would be interesting to see side by side times for that!

Good question. Acceleration seems better right up to 70, but I need to do a bit more driving, and although the Dragy can objectively measure 0-60mph acceleration it doesn't seem to offer the option of measuring e.g. 40-70mph. There is an option to measure 60-130mph but that will need a track or a trip to Germany!

Am I right in saying this can't be purchased on leased cars anymore? Pretty sure I had the option showing when it first launched.

I work at a pre-funding startup, so it would be for the best if that's the case... :rolleyes: