Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost £1.5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see this sentiment a lot on this forum so please dont take this response personally, i just don’t understand it.

How is it more practical, that would imply bigger, perhaps more seats, or more storage, but fundamentally something more than performance, suspension, brakes, wheels and a spoiler?

Longer range is debatable, if you had the same size wheels its likely a performance boost LR would give less range than a P if you actually used the boost functionality, there’s only a handful of miles in it between the two now including the stock wheel size difference.

The comfortable ride is totally subjective, i find the P more reassuring, has better grip and ultimately more comfortable but I’m coming from ICE cars that were firmer than either the P or LR so that makes sense for me to feel that way. All that said it isnt a simple fact that LR is more comfortable than a P.

Bargain i kind of agree with, the P price hike is steep and has gotten much worse even since December while we have been preparing for our purchase, perhaps the hike is now too much for what you get but I’m totally sold having tried both a P and LR.
The ride seems to be a very subjective thing.

I've come from performance cars too and much preferred the LR ride over the P. The P just felt too hard. But many performance drivers love it.

So an LR with boost makes sense. For me. But everyone is different - that's what it comes down to, isn't it? We won't all agree.

The only difference I can think of is that you could spec a new LR with a tow bar but not on a P. Could be significant for those potentially using trailers or bike racks that use a tow mount.
Agreed, that is one genuine difference and will be very important for some. Not uncommon for the highest performance version not to be towbar compliant, its the same on M cars and Cooper S’s (as well as many others) for exhaust reasons any many others such as most AMG‘S for no real reason at all

I’d almost be tempted if adding the boost left standard mode in place as an option. That would give a car for all eventualities.
that it just has chill to swap to is a missed opportunity. But then might affect P sales !

I’d almost be tempted if adding the boost left standard mode in place as an option. That would give a car for all eventualities.
that it just has chill to swap to is a missed opportunity. But then might affect P sales !

Sport mode is only 'sporty' if you drive it likewise. On any journey where I accelerate as gently as I did pre-boost, kWh consumption hasn't changed, nor has overall range, nor the feel of the car itself. It's basically still standard mode but with the ability for a greater kick when needed.

I have two acquaintances with Model 3 Ps. Maybe they were just unlucky but both have had serious issues with speed bumps & potholes (given the state of many UK roads, one had two cracked 20" alloys). The ride on their cars is harder & less forgiving than mine but then again, I don't throw mine around so ultimate cornering grip or poise has no interest to me.

I also wanted the towbar so chose LR with 19"s & adding the acceleration boost seemed to give me the best of all worlds. A car that doesn't advertise its performance but is almost supercar quick, longer range if I need it & the ability to use my trailer for tip runs or hauling bulky items without damaging or dirtying the car interior.

Acceleration from around 20mph & upwards is so close to the P as to be almost irrelevant & very useful for overtaking. I'm not really interested in racing others off the line or needing to show off so the lack of a spoiler or red callipers is a bonus (but occasionally acceleration does embarrass the odd ego machine even though I swear it's the cars' fault & nothing to do with me :mad:)

Buy the acceleration boost - enjoy for 48 hours - apply for the refund - you get the money back VERY quickly - play with car for a few days see what is WAS like and then re buy the acceleration boost again at least you would have a better informed choice the second time round !

Reactions: Jez_GB and btc1k
I didn't buy mine on day two of ownership as a way of getting a 'nearly-P', I bought it because £1500 seemed very good value and the cherry on top for what then became a 0-60mph in 3.7 sec car.
That’s the thing, 3.7sec for the (standing start) boost vs 3.1sec for the (1’ rollout P) isn’t a true comparison. On a like for like basis with rollout the boost is 3.4 or 3.5sec.

I see this sentiment a lot on this forum so please dont take this response personally, i just don’t understand it.

How is it more practical, that would imply bigger, perhaps more seats, or more storage, but fundamentally something more than performance, suspension, brakes, wheels and a spoiler?

Longer range is debatable, if you had the same size wheels its likely a performance boost LR would give less range than a P if you actually used the boost functionality, there’s only a handful of miles in it between the two now including the stock wheel size difference.

The comfortable ride is totally subjective, i find the P more reassuring, has better grip and ultimately more comfortable but I’m coming from ICE cars that were firmer than either the P or LR so that makes sense for me to feel that way. All that said it isnt a simple fact that LR is more comfortable than a P.

Bargain i kind of agree with, the P price hike is steep and has gotten much worse even since December while we have been preparing for our purchase, perhaps the hike is now too much for what you get but I’m totally sold having tried both a P and LR.
Practical in two ways: it has a better range than the P and is less fragile. Both thanks in part to the smaller wheels. The P has the same tyres and profile as the front tyres on my previous car and I got a few bad punctures and on very mangled tyre thanks to the low profile nature. The mangled tyre was on the tiniest of potholes but if you hit it wrong. I guess my point is you are paying a lot less for a car with virtually the same performance, a more comfortable ride and a longer range. Even if the improvements are only incremental they are real world improvements. By real world I mean most people will rarely go on a track and would never notice the milliseconds faster acceleration of a P but almost all of us need to go on a long trip every now and then or drove on roads that are sub optimal. Which an LR with performance boost handles better than a P. Plus you don't get drag from the world's most pointless spoiler!

I've been in contact with Tesla about this. If you've got a Model 3 on a lease, you won't have the option in the app. But you can request it via the service section. You simply schedule a service and explain this is the reason then they can process the upgrade. I'm very seriously considering doing this myself in the very near future. ;)
Car went in for a rear heating element fix this week (which surprisingly needed a whole new rear window). Came out with an extra 50bhp :D

Thanks for the heads up, the service department added the upgrade no issues. Car feels fantastic to me, feels very torquey. Also noticed on driving home when getting as low as 23% battery, the car felt much punchier than it used to at lower %.

Lease company (Leaseplan) were fine about it, and LV charged me £60 for adding "Engine chip" modification.

• Love
Reactions: EVMeister
I was suddenly being hustled today on a dual carriageway by a Mercedes estate as I was overtaking something else. Came up behind me really fast just before a roundabout & clearly wanted to pass so I let him go.

I was slightly behind on the roundabout (wet so neither doing anything silly) but when I accelerated immediately afterwards he couldn't keep up all the way to 75 where I backed off. I would guess he was doing well over a ton within a second or so & needed to prove a point! It was badged E63(?)AMG.

The 3LR acceleration boost is impressive from a start & simply amazing once the car is rolling, my batteries were 'only' at 51% but it feels basically the same as a full charge.

The 3LR acceleration boost is impressive from a start & simply amazing once the car is rolling, my batteries were 'only' at 51% but it feels basically the same as a full charge
I'd love to know if the acceleration boost has a less severe power reduction curve for battery %. Was really surprised at how good the car felt in the 20s.

And well done for doing your part as a spokesperson for EVs ;)

I still haven't ordered the boost for myself yet. I definitely will be, but I'm glad you guys are having a blast with it. ;)

Well, I finally have the acceleration boost. I've got nothing substantial to add that hasn't already been said. But yes, I can easily feel the difference. The weather isn't exactly great for testing it out and my car is <70% charged, but it pushes you back in the seat in a way it didn't before. It zips from 20 - 60mph like nobody's business.

Well, I finally have the acceleration boost. I've got nothing substantial to add that hasn't already been said. But yes, I can easily feel the difference. The weather isn't exactly great for testing it out and my car is <70% charged, but it pushes you back in the seat in a way it didn't before. It zips from 20 - 60mph like nobody's business.
Welcome to the club :) Just don't forget to take your foot off the accelerator before you exceed the speed limit.

I find the AMG, GT-R, TYPE R types get irate and tend to then go 3 figure speeds to prove a point - I let them get on with it

I think a GT-R is considerably quicker ☺️
Ultimately It was - The owner had decided to use a left turn lane to undertake and pull across - I just made it a little difficult for him. Held my own until 60ish and backed off and let him finish his undercut.

The noise it was making was very impressive - It and it's skyline predecessor where always my dream car - less so now

New dream car: Tesla Roadster (not too sure about spacex pack - pulling 2.5g strikes me as a little extreme)