Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost 1/4 mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I literally just ran the track tonight after getting the boost. I was on the right and got right around those numbers all night.

Attachments

• 20210806_204033.jpg
    20210806_204033.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,700
I literally just ran the track tonight after getting the boost. I was on the right and got right around those numbers all night.
Can I ask a silly question. Do you feel like the boost was worth it? It’s not a lot of $$ but wonder if it’s worth the .5seconds. I was going to order a MYP but we need 7 seats and…Tesla refuses to give me 19’s Instead of 21’s so going with MYLR. Coming from a perf S I’m a little worried. (Keeping the perf S)

Can I ask a silly question. Do you feel like the boost was worth it? It’s not a lot of $$ but wonder if it’s worth the .5seconds. I was going to order a MYP but we need 7 seats and…Tesla refuses to give me 19’s Instead of 21’s so going with MYLR. Coming from a perf S I’m a little worried. (Keeping the perf S)
For me, subjectively, yes. But I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone. It definitely pulls more as you continue to accelerate.

I would of thought it would of been faster then 12 second quarter mile. what are others times who'v tracked their 3's? I should take mine to the track by us :D.

I have LRDM with acceleration boost as well.

I remember the first time I saw a 426 Hemi Super Stock Plymouth run the 1/4 - mid 12's, 112 mph. That was in 1963. For the second time I have a car faster than that. The first was the Model 3 that I traded for the Y. Both with AB. :cool: And, yes, it is worth the $2k.

Reactions: doc333 and AquaY
I would of thought it would of been faster then 12 second quarter mile. what are others times who'v tracked their 3's? I should take mine to the track by us :D.

I have LRDM with acceleration boost as well.
I remember when I worked my 1971 SS Camaro.
It was a real "stump puller" which was slang back them for a pretty quick car.
I was so proud when I broke it to low 13 seconds.
This is why I was so impressed the first time I drove a tesla. sure, electric engines have great torque but to actually experince it and think what I had to do to make my Camaro as fast as it was.
Technology.

The only real difference is in about the initial 0-20 mph range. From my testing, from 30-70 my MYLRAB7 runs the same times as the 5 seat MYP. So if you really need that extra little bit of initial punch from a start, the MYP is your Huckleberry.

If you were to graph the acceleration curve of the MYP and the boosted MY, the slope would be indentical after about 25 mph all the way through the 1/4 mile. Even the trap speeds are the same. So basically the MYP gets a bit more than a car length at the start over the boosted MY and then never pulls it from that point on up until ultimately the LR hits its speed limiter of 130.

For me, I don't miss the extra hit off the line at all. Most of the time my car is rolling when I need to get on it and the boosted version is pretty much heads up with the MYP when rolling. I saved the cash and put it toward my Model S instead. I have absolutely no regrets I went with the boost rather than the MYP. I also have the advantage of 7 seats. Another plus is the tires will last longer as all that extra power at launch eats up the tires on the MYP.

The only real difference is in about the initial 0-20 mph range. From my testing, from 30-70 my MYLRAB7 runs the same times as the 5 seat MYP. So if you really need that extra little bit of initial punch from a start, the MYP is your Huckleberry.

If you were to graph the acceleration curve of the MYP and the boosted MY, the slope would be indentical after about 25 mph all the way through the 1/4 mile. Even the trap speeds are the same. So basically the MYP gets a bit more than a car length at the start over the boosted MY and then never pulls it from that point on up until ultimately the LR hits its speed limiter of 130.

For me, I don't miss the extra hit off the line at all. Most of the time my car is rolling when I need to get on it and the boosted version is pretty much heads up with the MYP when rolling. I saved the cash and put it toward my Model S instead. I have absolutely no regrets I went with the boost rather than the MYP. I also have the advantage of 7 seats. Another plus is the tires will last longer as all that extra power at launch eats up the tires on the MYP.
Thanks. Somehow doesn’t seem worth the MYP given the AB option on the LR. I’m not familiar with other performance variants but does tesla typically release updates to make them faster over time to make the difference more significant from the LR + AB option?

also, do you get that same slammed back in your seat feeling as you get with the MYP with the LR + AB? I love that feeling.

So, the LR with AB is as fast as the MYP from 25 mph on up... now take off the heavy 21" Uberturbines and put both cars on the same size / weight Martian wheels and the MYP should pull on the MY LR for the entire time.

I consider the MY with AB a good value now, but as the price of the MY LR goes up and the price of the MYP stays the same this equation is starting to shift.

Keith

As they come from the factory, MYP vs MYLR AB, the initial boost is all you really get with the MYP and the higher top speed. Adding Martian wheels to the MYP, just further drives up the price. At the end of the day, I didn't buy the MY as a sport car type platform. If I wanted quicker acceleration, the M3 is a better platform to start with.

If you look at the 1/4 mile trap speeds across the M3, M3P, MYP and MYLRAB, all trap about 114 in the 1/4 mile. So where is all the extra HP going? It sure isn't showing up in the trap speed like you think it might. Even a guy who took out the seats, frunk, on lightweight wheels, etc. is still only trapping under 115 mph.

This all goes back to a post I had months ago when I put a deposit on the MYP initially. Then with a lot of research, sifting through the data, it all just coming back to the MYP is only a bit quicker at launch and shortly thereafter. It is like it quickly gets to 60 and then really tapers off. Based on the graphs I did earlier when testing the MYP, the peak acceleration is visibly stronger but it really flattens out. Which resulted in me writing a post months ago about my thought that maybe Tesla was artificially limiting the MYP performance. There was no real edge that I could find when driving it compared to the info I had on the LR AB version. Obviously I couldn't test one of these at Tesla but the info I found on the web validated my theory. So when I got mine, the first thing I did after adding the AB was to run a bunch of runs to baseline it.

In the 30-70 mph range, my boosted 7 seater was doing it in about 3.1-3.12 seconds. The 7 seater weighs more than the 5 seater too. My times were right in line with what the magazines got for the MYP and a little bit better than some of the runs I personally saw on the MYPs I drove. Most of my runs were at about 70% SoC. See here for the C&D test. Add the 30-50 and 50-70 test to make it comparable to my 30-70 test. For them it was 3.2 if you add them up. FYI - there MYP went 12.1 at 113. Look at @Gor-Gor post upstream for his boosted LR. He was only off a tenth of a second and had a better trap speed.

If the MYP ticks all your boxes, then buy it. If. you still want a really quick car, the boosted LR is a great option and just gives up a little tiny bit in performance and saves a lot of cash. With the difference shrinking between the two, may make more sense if that last tenth matters for you. It also tells me the MYP isn't selling near as well as the MY LR as Tesla hasn't raised the price in a really long time compared to the MY LR. For some they can get it quicker so maybe that is important too.

So, the LR with AB is as fast as the MYP from 25 mph on up... now take off the heavy 21" Uberturbines and put both cars on the same size / weight Martian wheels and the MYP should pull on the MY LR for the entire time.

I consider the MY with AB a good value now, but as the price of the MY LR goes up and the price of the MYP stays the same this equation is starting to shift.

Keith
I think you will see them raise the price of the P. I’m actually shocked they haven’t done it yet.