Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost 2022 (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I'm currently in the market to purchase a Model 3 in the next couple months to replace my ICE. Currently coming from an RS3 8V FL so I'm ideally wanting to keep the performance.

I did have my decision set in stone for a LR then purchasing the performance boost for £1500. However, I've heard it's no longer available on the refreshed 2022 model with the larger capacity batteries. Is that correct?

I'm also looking to get the car on lease, which I believe you can't get it anyway through lease (even if was available), unless the lease company agrees to purchase it through them. Just trying to think whether I go for the LR and hope it becomes available to the refreshed 2022 model, or make the stretch for the performance model.

I went from a Mercedes AMG C63 to the M3 LR.
It is a 75kw 2021 car, so I can have the performance boost.
I expected I'd be spending £1500, but I have not, because in the real world the M3 is quicker, because it manages AWD traction better than the RWD Merc.

With 2020 hindsight I'd probably have got the M3P if I'd known then what I know now, but I'd have always wondered why I spent the money.
Yeah, I’d imagine it would feel quicker than the C63 based on it being RWD. You’d have felt a significant difference with being able to put the power down but what a beaut of a car the C63 is. For me, I’ve never had an issue with traction so don’t want it feeling slower, especially if I’m going to be keeping it 3-4 years haha. Just don’t know if I can stretch the extra for the performance model. Will have to weigh up my options.

Would’ve made life easier if the 2022 LR had the performance upgrade option, that way if I wasn’t content with the power (not that I will), I had the option to make it quicker.

Upvote 1
You will probably forget all about AB after a while. I briefly thought about adding it to our M3 and never bothered in the end. It's quick enough off the line anyway and once you're rolling above 30 mph AB makes no difference.
That doesn't actually match my experience. Off the line feels exactly the same to as it did pre-boost without the instantaneous G-force of the P model but from about 20mph when already moving there is a very noticeable difference to a standard LR but nothing compared to the P.

In those circumstances the boost is especially useful for overtaking safely - you are right though, it is more than quick enough off the line either way.

(I have driven another LR & a P since adding AB to mine, the LR for several days in 2021)

Reactions: goRt
Upvote 1
I went from a Mercedes AMG C63 to the M3 LR.
It is a 75kw 2021 car, so I can have the performance boost.
I expected I'd be spending £1500, but I have not, because in the real world the M3 is quicker, because it manages AWD traction better than the RWD Merc.

With 2020 hindsight I'd probably have got the M3P if I'd known then what I know now, but I'd have always wondered why I spent the money.

Reactions: boombap and pow216
Upvote 0
I did have my decision set in stone for a LR then purchasing the performance boost for £1500. However, I've heard it's no longer available on the refreshed 2022 model with the larger capacity batteries. Is that correct?
If your LR ships with the larger (79kWh) LG battery then acceleration boost is currently not available for it. It's possible it may be available in the future.

Upvote 0
T
If your LR ships with the larger (79kWh) LG battery then acceleration boost is currently not available for it. It's possible it may be available in the future.
That’s what I’m thinking. Going off what I’ve been told by other LR owners and videos I’ve seen, the performance boost seems to be a popular sell so I’d be very surprised if Tesla have ditched the option.

May just be a matter of time before it’s released again.

Upvote 0
T

That’s what I’m thinking. Going off what I’ve been told by other LR owners and videos I’ve seen, the performance boost seems to be a popular sell so I’d be very surprised if Tesla have ditched the option.

May just be a matter of time before it’s released again.
If they can without risk of premature battery issues, I expect they will. It is £1,500 (or whatever they charge when/if they offer it) direct to their bottom line without more than a software change. But no one can say for certain if it will be an option in the future. It is a tough call -- I have a 2019 M3P and may very well have saved the money and gone for the LR at the time had the acceleration boost been on my radar at the time I ordered mine...

Upvote 0
Are you sure? Because I just put in 20kw and it gave me 25% in my M3LR not sure what size that would make the battery 80kw useable?

Tbh idk all I know is I am happy with the boost :)

not even sure what the battery size is supposed to be. meepmeep

Attachments

• 7FE7B8A4-9C37-44ED-9BDC-C3AFFBF71F80.jpeg
    7FE7B8A4-9C37-44ED-9BDC-C3AFFBF71F80.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 677
  • 11AAA444-C1B7-43C5-9EA1-A4ADDA886748.jpeg
    11AAA444-C1B7-43C5-9EA1-A4ADDA886748.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 5AF0C6AC-4FF7-4547-9588-43C4B1AC02DD.jpeg
    5AF0C6AC-4FF7-4547-9588-43C4B1AC02DD.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0
Are you sure? Because I just put in 20kw and it gave me 25% in my M3LR not sure what size that would make the battery 80kw useable?

sorry but you put in 20 kwh and the battery is 80kwh - kw is the charging rate - kwh is the stored energy

....pedant hat off... ;-)

Upvote 0
Rumour has it people have taken their leased cars to Tesla before and managed to get Acceleration Boost added by paying Tesla directly (as you would when paying for any work if no maintenance arrangement).

Morally I’m not sure what issues you’d have doing that. It would certainly be a breach of the lease contract, but I don’t imagine the lease company would mind someone upgrading their car for free, and probably would have no clue when the car goes back unless they were told anyway.

Upvote 0
Rumour has it people have taken their leased cars to Tesla before and managed to get Acceleration Boost added by paying Tesla directly (as you would when paying for any work if no maintenance arrangement).

Morally I’m not sure what issues you’d have doing that. It would certainly be a breach of the lease contract, but I don’t imagine the lease company would mind someone upgrading their car for free, and probably would have no clue when the car goes back unless they were told anyway.
This is nothing to do with the lease issue. The new BT43 battery shipped in some December M3LR deliveries (I have one) and will presumably be the norm fairly soon. This is the 79kWh battery from LG that replaces the 75kWh battery they used to ship.

Tesla haven't made available an Acceleration Boost upgrade for vehicles with this new battery (yet).

See M3LR new battery

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I just realised OP was also asking about the lease issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If they can without risk of premature battery issues, I expect they will. It is £1,500 (or whatever they charge when/if they offer it) direct to their bottom line without more than a software change. But no one can say for certain if it will be an option in the future. It is a tough call -- I have a 2019 M3P and may very well have saved the money and gone for the LR at the time had the acceleration boost been on my radar at the time I ordered mine...
Yeah, that’s what I mean. I’d 100% go for the LR with performance boost if it’s confirmed it’s going to be available. I won’t be placing an order until next month anyway. Whether anything gets announced between now & then, we’ll have to see. Otherwise may need to stretch for the M3P.

Yes, I’ve heard you can do that. I know the lease company Lex allow you to go to Tesla and add it on from what I’ve heard.

Only thing is that on the new high capacity batteries in the LR, I don’t believe the AB is available as of yet. I’ll just have to wait and see if Tesla make it available for upgrade by the time I order.

Upvote 0

BT38 is supposedly a nominal 75kWh and BT43 is believed to be approx 79kWh. But Tesla never publish any battery specs and nominal battery capacities are all voodoo anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stan930
Upvote 0
This is nothing to do with the lease issue. The new BT43 battery shipped in some December M3LR deliveries (I have one) and will presumably be the norm fairly soon. This is the 79kWh battery from LG that replaces the 75kWh battery they used to ship.

Tesla haven't made available an Acceleration Boost upgrade for vehicles with this new battery (yet).

See M3LR new battery

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I just realised OP was also asking about the lease issue.
No, that’s brilliant! That clears things up. I had a feeling it wasn’t included in the new high capacity batteries. Hopefully AB will be announced soon on the new batteries.

Think I’ve now gone some clarification with the lease issue. Think there’s a way round it by visiting Tesla and getting them to do it.

Upvote 0
Apparently there's been some discussion of this in the Australian forums - I think they started to get deliveries with the new battery slightly earlier than we did. You might want to search there and check what people there have been told as I believe some forum members had some communication with Tesla about the issue.

Upvote 0
Apparently there's been some discussion of this in the Australian forums - I think they started to get deliveries with the new battery slightly earlier than we did. You might want to search there and check what people there have been told as I believe some forum members had some communication with Tesla about the issue.
I literally only signed up to this forum to ask the question so haven’t a clue where to find it 😂 Sorry to be a pain but you wouldn’t happen to have the link?

Upvote 0