Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost 2022 (UK)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I'm currently in the market to purchase a Model 3 in the next couple months to replace my ICE. Currently coming from an RS3 8V FL so I'm ideally wanting to keep the performance.

I did have my decision set in stone for a LR then purchasing the performance boost for £1500. However, I've heard it's no longer available on the refreshed 2022 model with the larger capacity batteries. Is that correct?

I'm also looking to get the car on lease, which I believe you can't get it anyway through lease (even if was available), unless the lease company agrees to purchase it through them. Just trying to think whether I go for the LR and hope it becomes available to the refreshed 2022 model, or make the stretch for the performance model.

I had AB on my 2019 M3. I always felt that, although statistically impressive, there was a lull in the acceleration of the standard LR. AB filled this for me making the car's acceleration feel more 'linear' and predictable.

I'm not one to race off from traffic lights or record my 0-60 times, indeed I've hardly used the full acceleration available anyway, but AB made the M3 driving experience just a bit better imo.

Was it value for money? - probably not, not for me really, given my driving style. I suspected that before I purchased it and mentally 'wrote it off financially as a bit of fun'.
Do I regret purchasing it? - surprisingly, no. Once the payment had gone from memory I had a slightly better car that I used every day. I'm sure I have wasted £1.5k on things that had far less longevity.
Would I get AB on the MY? - This time I think not, because the driving feel of the MY is more relaxed, less kart-like than the M3, so I don't feel the need to accelerate more harshly when in it.

I would still recommend AB on the M3, but also recommend running the car without it for a while to see if it feels lacking at all. I think the majority of people will be happy with it as is.

Upvote 0
I wonder how AB will fair in the used market? will it add a proportion of its value. no reason to retain anything like full since anyone can add at any point for full value and who would not rather have a car without and add than one already with costs being equal.
OR
could it actually de-value the car since people will think the owner is a boy racer and worry about the impact on the battery and drivetrain? + any effect on insurance since the second hand market is more cost sensitive.
If you are trading it in to anyone other than Tesla then I expect nothing extra, for a individual buyer I would expect them maybe to pay £500-£700 over another car the same.

Also given how much relatively worse the Performance retains value in the used market (a 2019 P is only a couple of grand more than an LR) won't people just go there if they want more power?
In 2019 the full performance P (£50k) was available for only a few grand more then the LR, people often forget this.

Upvote 0
Hi guys. I'm currently in the market to purchase a Model 3 in the next couple months to replace my ICE. Currently coming from an RS3 8V FL so I'm ideally wanting to keep the performance.

I did have my decision set in stone for a LR then purchasing the performance boost for £1500. However, I've heard it's no longer available on the refreshed 2022 model with the larger capacity batteries. Is that correct?

I'm also looking to get the car on lease, which I believe you can't get it anyway through lease (even if was available), unless the lease company agrees to purchase it through them. Just trying to think whether I go for the LR and hope it becomes available to the refreshed 2022 model, or make the stretch for the performance model.
bought my MY in March this year and have the option to purchase AB but its not a lease car if that helps

Upvote 0
So from 31mph its a 0.24s difference with AB so as most overtaking would be done in this range and above then I would expect that it isn't going to be that noticeable for overtaking.
Correct. Rarely need to go full pedal when overtaking anyway. These are very quick cars. It's not like it's some 2.0L diesel with 150 hp that might really benefit from a remap. Or even a hot hatch with 250 hp. To put it in perspective the 3LR AWD has roughly the same power as my old 911 C4S but with quicker throttle response and no need to kick down through the gears. It's heavier of course, but overtaking doesn't get much easier than this. Have to concentrate not to slam into the back of whatever you are aiming to fire it past!

Upvote 0
I remember when I went from an ancient peogeot diesel for a leaf.. my first foray into the EV world. Did an overtake just after buying it and forgot to glance at the speedo.. my the time I'd got past the line I was doing 90..

I'd been so used to flooring it maybe reaching 75 in that time it took me completely by surprise. And that was just a leaf with an 11 second 0-60. Someone jumping straight to a model 3 would risk realizing their speed was too high when the hedge hit them :p

Reactions: Peteski
Upvote 0
I remember when I went from an ancient peogeot diesel for a leaf.. my first foray into the EV world. Did an overtake just after buying it and forgot to glance at the speedo.. my the time I'd got past the line I was doing 90..

I'd been so used to flooring it maybe reaching 75 in that time it took me completely by surprise. And that was just a leaf with an 11 second 0-60. Someone jumping straight to a model 3 would risk realizing their speed was too high when the hedge hit them :p
Even with powerful ICE cars, you need to floor them far more often initially when overtaking because of the relatively slow throttle response and kick down etc. You forget this after owning a Tesla for a few years! While driving our MY LR this morning I was thinking about this and there is no delay at all when flooring the throttle. Just a violent kick if you go instant full pedal. It feels much smoother feeding the pedal in more progressively and this is without AB. Only slight delay I've ever noticed is when flooring from a standing start. You can tell the software is holding it back slightly at that point. It seems to really get up and go above something like 20 mph. From some of the comments above it sounds like AB doesn't really address this initial delay, which surprises me a little. Maybe this is where the P gets it's extra edge?

Upvote 0
somewhere on this forum. the newer bigger battery on the M3 doesn't have the option yet.
That’s old news. When the 79 kWh battery first started to be fitted it wasn’t available as Tesla work through the charge/discharge optimisations but became available after a few weeks.

The only people who cannot see the upgrade option now should be lease customers as they aren’t the owner and would have to go through the lease company to get it (if they allow).

Upvote 0
I have a vague recollection the MY didn’t have it at launch, but they made it available later, maybe that’s what you’ve picked up.

It’s good value using referral points as well, if you can get enough points
As far as I could see, for "selling" 1 x Model 3/Y, you get either £300-400 of supercharging (Cost to Tesla, 250-350 quid maybe), or £1500 of acceleration boost (Cost to Tesla, opportunity cost only. Probably nothing if someone hasn't bought it within 6 months of ownership)

Upvote 0