Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost DOES NOT stay with vehicle (unless it is a private sale)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can almost be certain that if you car goes to a dealer, rather than another private party, Tesla will delete boost, FSD, supercharging, etc.

If you don't but it from Tesla or a private party, usually you will lose those things. Not always but highly likely unless the person gave up their Tesla account to go with the car.

When I sold my Y w/boost, we were able to transfer it with no issues to the new private owner and boost stayed with the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
So does Tesla itemized the things they GIVE or TAKE CREDIT for? I have added PB, GPS HomeLink and the PWS to my 2020 LR AWD and am waiting on my trade-in value as our new PMY is due in 30 days. Those three items cost me over $2400. If not then one has to believe whatever value they determine includes those items.

They "might" give you something for homelink but likely nothing else. They were even giving anything for FSD from what I could tell in trade in before but there were some musing that they might start doing it.

So basically they would charge 10-12k for FSD and give you nothing on trade. Hence FSD must be worthless.

You can almost be certain that if you car goes to a dealer, rather than another private party, Tesla will delete boost, FSD, supercharging, etc.

If you don't but it from Tesla or a private party, usually you will lose those things. Not always but highly likely unless the person gave up their Tesla account to go with the car.

When I sold my Y w/boost, we were able to transfer it with no issues to the new private owner and boost stayed with the car.
I'm not aware of any instances where a car has been de-optioned when passed from an owner -> dealer -> new owner. The only time Tesla de-options a car is when Tesla take ownership of the car for some time period (e.g. as a result of a trade-in). Often Tesla sells these de-optioned cars on to dealers, and its then that the confusion about options occurs.

Reactions: jsmay311 and JBT66

There is NO provision in the deal fir Tesla to remove FSD or Boost if sold through a private dealer.

Reactions: jsmay311
I'm not aware of any instances where a car has been de-optioned when passed from an owner -> dealer -> new owner. The only time Tesla de-options a car is when Tesla take ownership of the car for some time period (e.g. as a result of a trade-in). Often Tesla sells these de-optioned cars on to dealers, and its then that the confusion about options occurs.
I don't know what to tell you but it happened to a friend. FSD was on the car when he test drove and later it was removed. Fortunately the dealer adjusted the sale price. Maybe it shouldn't have been the case but in his it was. I can't say I have a lot of trust in Tesla regarding this regardless of what contract verbiage is buried somewhere.

So hopefully I am misinformed, and my friends experience was an outlier. Tesla can changes things on a whim. Just look at before you take your leased car to a dealer and trade it in. Tesla changed their approach to third party lease buyouts overnight back in April so that only they can buyout a leased Tesla. So regarding where Tesla can make an extra buck or 10k I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

I don't know what to tell you but it happened to a friend. FSD was on the car when he test drove and later it was removed. Fortunately the dealer adjusted the sale price. Maybe it shouldn't have been the case but in his it was. I can't say I have a lot of trust in Tesla regarding this regardless of what contract verbiage is buried somewhere.

So hopefully I am misinformed, and my friends experience was an outlier. Tesla can changes things on a whim. Just look at before you take your leased car to a dealer and trade it in. Tesla changed their approach to third party lease buyouts overnight back in April so that only they can buyout a leased Tesla. So regarding where Tesla can make an extra buck or 10k I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

The car likely came from Tesla via auction.

And, while Tesla does have the righty o take it away when they own it, they don’t (imho) once it gets out of their hands. This is a total crap move by Tesla.

There have been a small number (that you can count on one hard) of cars that have got into the pipeline before they were fully de-optioned, and people (perhaps reasonably) assume that because the car physically has FSD then it has it legally (as in, its on the paperwork from Tesla when sold to the dealer). That sucks of course, and Tesla has made good on several occasions, as it IS there screw up since they were careless letting the car out of their hands before the de-optioned "took" (which happens when the car checks option status with the mothership).

But I dont think its justified to take those minority cases, bad though they may have been for those involved, and extrapolate to some world in which Tesla are deliberately plotting to fool people into thinking they have something when they dont (and will find out in no time at all).

As for leasing, I've only ever leased once and there the option was either for me to keep the car ($$) or the dealer to take it back .. since I dont own the car during the lease. That doesnt seem any different to Tesla lease plans either, or am I missing something?

The fact remains, if you own your Tesla, you can resell it on the open market INCLUDING all the option you paid for, software and hardware, and get whatever resale value you can for them. Which, last time I looked, was exactly the same as every other car on the planet.

...So basically they would charge 10-12k for FSD and give you nothing on trade. Hence FSD must be worthless.
I'm totally on board with the frustration, but realistically - this is software that Tesla owns. The fact that a specific instance of it has monetary value to them is no indication of its worth in the marketplace.

If you have a license for Microsoft Office, is it worth anything further to Microsoft? No, in fact it's only a lost opportunity for a new sale. But if it's legally installed and license-locked to a computer you sell on Craigslist, it's worth something to the buyer. Not worthless in your 3rd-party transaction, though worthless to Microsoft.

Like many others, I wish that FSD would be licensed to the owner and not to the vehicle. It seems that this would encourage owners to swap to new Tesla vehicles more often. But that argument has lost a lot of steam in the current environment; Tesla has no trouble selling call the new cars they can produce today.

Like many others, I wish that FSD would be licensed to the owner and not to the vehicle. It seems that this would encourage owners to swap to new Tesla vehicles more often. But that argument has lost a lot of steam in the current environment; Tesla has no trouble selling call the new cars they can produce today.
I suspect this will change over time, and I agree once supply/demand evens out and Ford/VW etc start creeping into Tesla's space I think we will see more "flexibility" by Tesla, probably with different ways to buy many of the features.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
There have been a small number (that you can count on one hard) of cars that have got into the pipeline before they were fully de-optioned, and people (perhaps reasonably) assume that because the car physically has FSD then it has it legally (as in, its on the paperwork from Tesla when sold to the dealer). That sucks of course, and Tesla has made good on several occasions, as it IS there screw up since they were careless letting the car out of their hands before the de-optioned "took" (which happens when the car checks option status with the mothership).

But I dont think its justified to take those minority cases, bad though they may have been for those involved, and extrapolate to some world in which Tesla are deliberately plotting to fool people into thinking they have something when they dont (and will find out in no time at all).

As for leasing, I've only ever leased once and there the option was either for me to keep the car ($$) or the dealer to take it back .. since I dont own the car during the lease. That doesnt seem any different to Tesla lease plans either, or am I missing something?

The fact remains, if you own your Tesla, you can resell it on the open market INCLUDING all the option you paid for, software and hardware, and get whatever resale value you can for them. Which, last time I looked, was exactly the same as every other car on the planet.
This is why Tesla really needs a PR department that can give a definitive answer. Currently we're stuck with figuring out what the policy is (if there is one) from anecdotal reports and possibly a couple of tweets. A 'Small number of cases' means it's happened. No one knows whether it's intentional or not and the resolution involves a big headache for the consumer.

If they have one, their policy makes no sense. Enabling/disabling software costs Tesla next to nothing. Disabling it only on cars that had it added after delivery nominally decreases their resale value. If they're doing it to decrease the trade in value, why don't they disable it on all cars? If they're doing it to try and get another FSD sale later on, the same question applies. Ultimately all this does is make the company look cheap and cause dissatisfaction.

If they have one, their policy makes no sense.
They do .. the policy, clearly stated, is that the options transfer with the car when the car changes ownership. So you sell the car with whatever options you purchased .. just like any other car. All the other issues boil down to two things:

1. Tesla occasionally making a mess of de-optioning the car while they have ownership, so that the car subsequently reaches a dealer and APPARENTLY has an option that it really doesnt. This causes issues in these rare cases, as buyers are used to poking at the car to figure out what they are buying, rather than looking at paperwork to indicate what software options are truly part of the package. Tesla are clearly to blame here, though buyers also need to get more street-smart about the new world of software optioned cars as the industry pivots more and more to this model.

2. Owners angered by Tesla low-balling trade-in value by not assigning any value to the various software options they purchased. I'm not sure I have much sympathy for the owners in this case .. Tesla, like any buyer, are free to make any offer they choose, and of course there IS no real value to the software options from Tesla's standpoint. It's been pretty standard knowledge since the beginning of time that you are always better off selling your car privately than trading it in (especially at the moment), so there is nothing that is specific to Tesla here.

Reactions: brkaus